|Information Entries for Mt. Lindsey and Name History|
Name History (Mt. Lindsey)
Title: Naming of Mt. Lindsey
Entered by: 14erFred
Added: 05/14/2010, Last Updated: 05/14/2010
Sources: Borneman, W.R., & Lampert, L.J. (1978). A climbing guide to Colorado's Fourteeners. Boulder, CO: Pruett Publishing Company. Eberhart, P., & Schmuck, P. (1970). The Fourteeners: Colorado's great mountains. Chicago: The Swallow Press. Hart, J.L.J. (1977). Fourteen thousand feet: A history of the naming and early ascents of the high Colorado peaks (Second Edition). Denver, CO: The Colorado Mountain Club.
The mountain was originally called "Old Baldy" because of the pronounced absence of trees on much of the peak. It rises from such a low altitude that about half of it lies below timberline -- a situation unique to Colorado Fourteeners. For years, it remained one of the least known of the Fourteeners until Malcolm Lindsey, for whom the mountain was eventually renamed, arrived on the scene.
Malcolm Lindsey was born in Pennsylvania in 1880, but grew up in Trinidad, Colorado, about 55 miles southeast of Old Baldy. Lindsey joined the Colorado Mountain Club (CMC) in 1922 and became the driving force behind junior activities in the Club. Over the next 20 years, he led many groups of teenagers to the summit of Old Baldy. He was President of the CMC from 1943-1946. He died on November 12, 1951. Old Baldy was Malcolm Lindsey's favorite mountain, and it is doubtful that any other person has climbed it as many times or has known it as well. He had a deep love for the mountain and considered it a special, sacred place.
In remembrance of Malcolm Lindsey's many years of service to the CMC, the Club's members submitted a proposal to the U.S. Board of Geographic Names to change the name of the peak from Old Baldy to "Mount Lindsey." On July 30, 1953, this name change was approved. Formal dedication ceremonies were held on July 4, 1954, with 64 climbers reaching the summit that day in commemoration of Malcolm Lindsey. In May 1955, a memorial marker was placed at the southern foot of the peak in a roadside park off State Highway 160, 3 miles east of Fort Garland. Unfortunately, this marker was stolen within the next month and was never recovered.