Ellingwood Point  
Click to Expand   
Conditions Information  Posted By   Posted On    Photos  Comments  Likes, Dislikes      
2016-06-13  Route: South Face
Info: As per other reports, road up to Lake Como is dry. After the lake, intermittent/discontinuous snow to the upper basin below Ellingwood and Blanca where it then becomes continous. Minor postholing (We started at 5 AM). We went up the snow on the way up and missed the normal summer route which goes around the waterfall, but on the way down we went this way and it was great to avoid snow. That route around the waterfall is clear of snow until the next basin. Snowshoes probably aren't needed if you start early because the snow is compact. We did however bring them and did not use them. Crampons and ice axe recommended because the final slopes are pretty steep and have significant run out. BY 9:30 AM on the descent, the snow was very slushy on the upper slopes. FYI*** The creek flow on the road up the road on Lake Como (~ 1 mile before the lake) is very heavy right now due to snow melt. At both 1:30 and 4:30 PM on two separate days it was not passable for the normal route without getting completely soaked. Water up at least to mid calf. However, just a few yards upstream of the typical route, there is a thin branch that has fallen and made a great path. 3 of us successfully made it over it with our packs on both ways. There are two branches to hold onto above it. Would recommend to avoid getting wet. 
mprice422  2016-06-14   0             
2016-06-11  Route: South Face
Info: Dry to Lake Como. Snowshoes needed shortly after the lake. Crampons and ice ax needed for Ellingwood standard route. Traversed multiple snowfields with dangerous runouts on the ascent. Snow softened up around 10am for safe plunge stepping on the descent. Blanca ridge is dry but snowshoes/crampons recommended for accessing the saddle. 
Lemmiwinks  2016-06-11   0      1       
2016-06-07  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: Got to the trailhead on 6/6 and hiked on the trail until we camped at around 11,500 ft. The trail was completely dry up until then, other than the stream crossings that were a lot bigger now with all of the snow melting. Once we started out hiking in the morning, we decided to ascend up the talus and small snow fields to get to the lake as opposed to the standard route through the trees. This turned out to be a lot more time consuming then we expected. By the time we arrived at the C2 couloir, the snow was too soft to trust in a climb. Sadly, we decided that a climb up the couloir would be unsafe and we did not end up summitting. The snow before sunrise was very hard and in great condition, but softened and saw the sun fast. The snow is definitely melting fast up there. 
hollyhammons  2016-06-07   1      1       
2016-05-29  Route: South Face
Info: Snow was continuous from Lake Como. Unless you are on skis, snowshoes are a definite help--especially later in the day. There is still a ton of snow up there. Folks were heading up Blanca, but at the split to Ellingwood there were no tracks at all up the South Face when we got there. Do yourself a favor and start early. By the time we started descending the face after noon, it was way to wet and soft with all that sun. Still plenty of snow along the ridge to the summit as well. 
mikemalick  2016-05-30   3             
2016-05-15  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: Trail to lake is dry for the first three miles, intermittent but avoidable snow for most of the fourth miles. After that, there is pretty thorough snow coverage, but decently consolidated and wouldn't be worth bringing snowshoes due to the amount of sidehilling. We didn't get past the lake due to weather, but if the snow below is any indication, should be decent barring further precipitation. Key takeaway: don't bring your snowshoes. 
AnnaG22  2016-05-15   0   4   1       
2016-05-04  Route: South Face
Info: As you might suspect, there is a ton of snow up at Lake Como. The only question is how long it will stay in one place. E, S and W faces started shedding their loads yesterday and I suspect more occurred later today. Blanca is also looking really good -- similar to last May. Snow starts in earnest just before the creek crossing. 
lodgling  2016-05-04   3   1          
2016-03-13  Route: South Face
Info: Ellingwood Point is in decent shape for the end of winter. Was able to drive my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee to 9,750 on the road. (Snow blocks the road from there, see conditions report for Lake Como road) Past 9,750, the road is mostly snow with a decent boot pack trail in place. You could get away without snowshoes until about 10,500, then they become mandatory. Lake Como area is in great shape for winter camping with a solid 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. More than enough for a tent with a nice boot pit. A trench now extends across the lake and follows the standard route up towards Ellingwood Point. We finally ditched our snowshoes near 12,500 and switched to crampons for the final part up Ellingwood's south face. (Don't bother with anything less than crampons) We opted to gain the saddle around 13,700 on the Ellingwood side and climb the ridge proper to the summit. NOTE: There was just a fresh dump of 3-6 inches of snow up there. That has covered everything pretty nicely, making it harder to see where the bulletproof snow fields are vs trap-door boulder-hoping. It has also jacked the avalanche conditions up as well. During the descent, we saw a small slide off Ellingwood's south ridge. It was all surface powder sliding on bulletproof snow from the night before. Several smaller sluffs up towards Blanca as well. Give that area some time to stabilize before venturing up there again. If you'd like pictures, shoot me a PM and I can send you some. 
RyGuy  2016-03-14   0   1   1       
2015-11-01  Route: South Face
Info: So... in short there is a lot of snow. Continuous snow started around Jaws 3 and went from 3" of consolidated snow, below treeline, to 2-4 feet of unconsolidated powder above treeline. The entire face of Ellingwood and Blanca was also covered, which made for very interesting climbing. Snow shoes required, but not skinable or skiable yet. 
jmanner  2015-11-02   7   3   2       
2015-10-14  Route: South Face
Info: Totally dry top to bottom. 
C-Shepguy  2015-10-15   0             
2015-10-11  Route: Southwest Ridge
Info: Dry the entire way, including the descent down the normal route. 
tjf242424  2015-10-11   0             
2015-10-08  Route: South Face
Info: Peak was not icy at all in the mid morning/afternoon. There was ~10% snow coverage. 
D_Lide1989  2015-10-09   0             
2015-10-04  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: Trail from falls to lake is in excellent condition. The Blanca group received snow on Saturday night. Snow on trail starting about 1 mile below S Zapata Lake. Maybe an inch in the basin around the lake and more in C2. Called it at C2, but there is (was as of Sunday morning) definitely snow all the way up the ridge to Ellingwood‘s summit. Photos from around the lake attached. 
frankd720  2015-10-05   2             
2015-09-18  Route: Blanca/Ellingwood
Info: Fall colors are starting to show. Approaching Lake Como today it doesn‘t have a lot tall Aspens. From Blanca/Ellingwood could see good colors to the northeast a few miles. Looks like approaching Huerfano/Lily Lake Trailhead for Mt Lindsey would be a great mix of summer and fall. No snow in the Sangres. 
WillRobnett  2015-09-18   0             
2015-09-03  Route: South Face
Info: Climbed Ellingwood and Blanca together. Ellingwood was my 38th fourteener this summer. I‘m trying to climb them all this summer. You can read more about this hike and others at Sunshineof1985.com. Enjoy! Route: Northwest Ridge from Blanca Peak, then Combo Distance: 12.46 mi. Elevation Gain (from parking at 8,000 ft.): 6,800 ft. Time started: 6:10am End time: 4:10pm Time to Summit Ellingwood Point from 8,000 feet: 5 hours and 10 minutes Time to Summit Blanca Peak from summit of Ellingwood Point: 1 hour and 30 minutes Time to Descend Blanca Peak to Como Lake: 2 hours Overall Pace: 1.3 miles per hour *GEAR (to bring): Bear spray, helmet, water purifier, first aid kit, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, headlamp, flashlight, toilet paper, GPS, extra batteries, extra socks, phone, SPOT Satellite Tracker, Map, Topo Map from 14ers.com, hiking boots with 2 pairs of socks on, extra change of clothes, wear a tank top, long-sleeve, wind-guard/raincoat, light weight puffy coat, lightweight gloves, overnight pack with water sack and extra water (160oz), food for two full days (large bag of jerky, large bag of trailsmix, 4 protein bars, and 4 granola bars). *Road Condition: The directions from 14ers.com is correct in that a sedan will only make it to 8,000 feet or slightly further. We saw one Jeep make it all the way to Como Lake- which was mind boggling. *Trail Condition: 8,000 to Como Lake: You‘ll be on the road the entire time. The road mixes between dirt areas where it‘s easier to walk, but mostly river rock and boulders. Eyes on the ground mostly to watch your step. Como Lake to Ellingwood Point: You‘re still going to be on a road until 12,000 ft. elevation. Easy slow gain to this point. Trail is in great condition and easy to follow with the cairns. We took the higher route on Ellingwood (class 3) and it‘s more than fine- nothing too scary at all (coming from a person who has a slight fear of heights). Ellingwood Point to Blanca Peak: Trail at the divide between the two and on to Blanca is a difficult class two. You‘ll have to pull yourself up in some areas. Otherwise, just weave your way up watching for cairns until the summit. Some loose rock, but not bad. 
Sunshineof1985  2015-09-07   0             
2015-08-16  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: The last report is garbage.. To the last poster, who goes scrambling in the mountains without a helmet, and what are you doing with a group that large? FS regulation is no group larger than 14. And what would a rope do there is no where to put any pro on a scree slope. And what were you doing in the LEFT side of the couloir? The route description specifically says stay RIGHT when it forks near the top, the left side is much sketchier. To anyone looking to just hit Ellingwood and avoid Lake Como, this is a great route. The C2 couloir is loose, I was glad I was the only one in it this morning, but with careful foot placement and sticking on the side where there is larger solid rocks it is definitely not as bad as the last guy makes it sound (I avoided the eroded slippery social trails in the center), definitely no rope or class 4 moves required. I would add that I thought the scrambling on the summit pitch was more difficult than ‘easy class 3‘ as described in the route description. 
BagginPeaks  2015-08-16   3   4   2       
2015-07-31  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: We had a group of 15 men make this attempt at Ellingwood Point from the South Zapata Creek Trail. Several of the group members and I had been reading trip reports for this trail to make sure we knew what we were getting into. None of the reports accurately describe the C2 Coulier, which is the recommended coulier for traversing to the North Ridge of Ellingwood. This report is particularly for non-Colorado 14er enthusiasts who depend on this site and trip reports to plan their trip. The C2 Coulier had too much loose rock and scree to be safe without additional climbing gear such as helmets and rope. We had neither and managed to get 13 of our 15 men to the ridge, but not without injury and significant stress. If the coulier had consistent solid rock on which to climb, this would live up to the Class 3 designation. However, with the unstable rock and scree on a steep 60 degree slope, this coulier should be ranked at a difficult class 3 or easy class 4 route. Additionally, there are no well-cairned routes along the north ridge for Ellingwood. Five of our men managed their way to just below summit, but had to turn back due to weather developing in the east. Three of us, including myself, made it to the north ridge where we could see the storm clouds developing to the east and also turned back. Our primary concern was being stuck on C2 Coulier in rain. That would have made decent nearly impossible and left us exposed well above treeline. Fortunately, the weather held and we all made it down to safety before the storm finally developed mid-afternoon. I would not recommend this route to moderate or even experienced climbers without gear and preparation for Class 4 climbing up C2. 
glett74  2015-08-03   7   3          
2015-07-25  Route: South Face
Info: The entire route is dry and in summer condition. There is still a serious bear problem at Como Lake. Please read my Lake Como trailhead report for details. 
zsmith  2015-07-30   0             
2015-07-12  Route: South Face
Info: The route to the summit is completely clear of all snow. But bring a bear canister. Bear bags will be pillaged during the day while you are out hiking. Hanging them high and on a line between two trees is insufficient. They were safe at night during the 2 nights we were there. The bear is smart and he‘ll take your food while you watch. Your bad food habits can get you or the bear killed. 
mspalding  2015-07-14   0             
2015-07-05  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: Good trail up to S. Zapata Lake. Marsh around the lake is very full and wet which resulted in soaked feet. Did not attempt C2 due to earlier condition reports, so I don’t have good beta. C3 was completely dry. Detailed Trip Report to follow. 
Dan_Suitor  2015-07-06   2   4          
2015-06-23  Route: North Ridge via South Zapata Creek
Info: Made attempt on C2 this morning got to base of snow at 5 am. Slightly firm at base, but punchy. now only got worse the higher I got. Called it when waist-wading in styrofoam like snow. Self arrest would not be a possibility on the steeper stuff up high. Oh, I wanted it. Been there twice. Not worth it though. Seems Spring‘s actually over. 
High_On_Thin_Air  2015-06-23   0             

Return to the main Peak Conditions page

© 2016 14ers.com®, 14ers Inc.