Buying Gear?  Click Here
Buying gear? Please use these links to help

More info...

Other ways to help...
Mt. Lincoln  
Click to Expand   
Route  Conditions Information  Posted By   Posted On    Photos  Comments Likes Dislikes    
2014-12-06  From the Quartzville site  Snow is intermittent from TH until ~13,000ft and gets deeper as you proceed to Lincoln. Snowshoes were very helpful. I gained the ridge by bearing right and going up the hill instead of left towards the cameron amphitheater and that route proved fine; however, you could easily go towards the cameron amphitheater, a route I opted for on return, as there was far less snow there than I had thought when I was trip planning. Beware, significant snow buildup of snow on Lincoln north face which made it very treacherous. Almost called it about 100 feet from summit with no axe as the loose snow creates an exponential steepness. A much safer route would be to go right and around the final pitch and then take the summit from the south side. On the return, I followed the creek basin pretty much all the way from cameron ampitheater. About 2-3 feet of snow there. cyrrus   2014-12-09  0     Edit Delete 
2014-11-08  From Kite Lake  Did the Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross route clockwise. Car to car took 4hr 53min. No problem getting to Kite lake. Some snow on the shady parts of the road but other than that it is clear. Conditions on the mountain(s) were perfect other than the wind. Gusts up to 60mph. Democrat has the most snow, but nothing too deep. Trip was done in a pair of Ganda Guide approach shoes. Recommend mini spikes if you are not comfortable ascending/descending on packed snow and ice. dogballs   2014-11-08  0     Edit Delete 
2014-07-28  From Kite Lake  No snow/ice on the trail and in very good conditions. A little windier that on the saddle but nothing to worry about. emgordon   2014-07-29  0     Edit Delete 
2014-06-20  From the Quartzville site  We had a little trouble finding trailhead. Just look for the crest rd sign. There was some runoff water on the trail but easily avoided. A little snow near the summit, again, easily managed in regular shoes. We hiked Lincoln to Cameron to Broad and back. Gorgeous day and an amazing sunset!!!! looneydoug   2014-06-22 2  1 1  Edit Delete 
2014-06-20  From Kite Lake  Snow is melting fast and road was open all the way to Kite Lake. Hiked Bross, Lincoln and Cameron in that order. No snow on Bross and just a couple easy patches to cross the saddle to Lincoln. Trail up to Lincoln only had one easy to cross patch of snow. Lots of people on the summit. Some snow on crest of Cameron but easily avoided. Trail to saddle with Democrat was mostly clear with just a patch or two of snow to avoid. We glissaded down two extensive snow patches as we descended from the Democrat/Cameron saddle down to Kite Lake (which was still frozen over). Beautiful day, no clouds, light wind--best conditions for hiking of 4 times I have gone there. lkaras   2014-06-22 5     Edit Delete 
2014-06-15  From Kite Lake  I did Cameron, Lincoln and Bross ( i know stone me) today. The trail was 75% snow free. I have included some pics for reference. The pic of the snow crossing is early on going up to the saddle between Democrat and Cameron. Microspikes are a good idea for morning time. After gaining the saddle the trail to Lincoln is snow free. To Bross there is a snowfield about 100 feet long, at that point the snow was soft though. The road to Kite Lake still has a decent drift blocking it about a quarter of a mile from the TH..... dry until that point. jwagner   2014-06-15 3     Edit Delete 
2014-06-08  From the Quartzville site  The trail is mostly snow free and all but a couple snow fields can be avoided. The summit pitch being the exception. The last couple hundred yards up to the summit is an unavoidable snow field. It can be done in just boots when the snow softens a little, but very early in the morning on hard snow the slope is difficult to find traction. I recommend carrying a set of micro-spikes. CO Native   2014-06-09  0  3    Edit Delete 
2014-06-07  From the Quartzville site  Three large snowfields of increasing difficulty hindered our 4x4 drive to the Quartsville Creek Trailhead, but we made it all the way and we think we were the first this year to do so. You definitely need a high clearance 4x4 up this road. The rout has patches of snow covering maybe 10% of the trail to the amphitheater. The Northeast slope up Bross has snow patches that some may prefer to attack with micro spikes (I did not). From the top of Lincoln, there seamed to be a continuous snowfield that lead from nearly the base of the cameron ampitheater to the top of Bross (we did not take this snowfield). Cameron has a nice glissade-able snowpatch on it that the rout boarders. Lincoln‘s east shoulder also has many snow patches and long stretches of the road are snow-covered, but nothing that would warrant even microspikes, in my humble opinion. We didn‘t do Democrat but the upper 800 ft looked like like solid snow. laxcountrypiper   2014-06-08  0     Edit Delete 
2014-06-03  From the Quartzville site  I climbed Bross, Cameron and Lincoln from the Quartzville site today. I didn‘t post hole once nor did I put on crampons, microspikes or snowshoes. I was on snow 10-20% of the time but it was absolutely no problem. The only problem was wind from Bross to Lincoln. If you don‘t want to post hole but you still want to get out this is the climb. I highly recommend it. Nelson Nelson   2014-06-03  0  3    Edit Delete 
2014-05-01  Lincoln Amphitheatre  Used boot crampons looker right of icefall on way up at 9am. Looker left of cabin chutes boot crampons would have been very helpful, turned around there. daver   2014-05-01  0     Edit Delete 
2014-04-19  From the Quartzville site  Started on E. Ramp of Lincoln from Quartz Creek. Took forever, disconcerting, lots of rocks and grass. Back to skins on and off from about 12 K. Snow on summit. Could have ridden pretty far Possibly all the way to Lincoln Falls E. We dropped in S. Only one continuous line to the Cameron Ampitheater (12.9 or so) The line is on far skiers right and would have required a butt load of traversing. Down climbed about 300 ft of chose. Went up Cameron‘s E. Bulk. Rode continuously down S. SW. to about 12. 8 traversing towards Democrat. Climbed E. Face. Skinned %90+ of the way. 5-10 cm of snow. decently well bonded to wind melt freeze combo. Gained the E. Ridge topped out, rode ascent route down to 12.5 skinned up Bross West gully. Really good snow til about 14K. Rode out The Dolly and traversed back. Wet Loose activity 20cms on N-NE aspects at TL upon entering TL zones... TR later. I‘m lazy sorry freeinthehills   2014-04-21  0  1    Edit Delete 
2014-04-12  From the Quartzville site  Climbed and skied Lincoln from the Quartzville approach through the Cameron Amphitheater. Snow conditions were good overall - we were able to ski (powder!) off the summit and pick a continuous line down the East Slope and back down the old mining road to about 13,100‘ where we had walked down the road for about 100‘. From here, we skied into and down the drainage on the north side of the route (Lincoln side), and with two brief exceptions (5 minutes total walking) we were able to ski all the way back to the Quartzville/Crest intersection. We also skied Cameron‘s East Face - poor coverage on lookers left (towards Bross) but the other side below the Cameron/Lincoln saddle held much more, albeit steeper, snow. Other beta: Democrat‘s standard East Slope route had incredible snow coverage, more than I‘ve ever seen before! I hope to hit one of the routes from Kite Lake in the near future. Quandary‘s Cristo Couloir also looks very well filled and in from the summit. DanielL   2014-04-13  0  3    Edit Delete 
2013-11-25  Lincoln Amphitheatre  Road was plowed all the way to the summer TH at Montgomery Reservoir. Made it in an AWD Ford Escape. Walking alongside the reservoir we encountered 4-5 inches of pretty soft snow at around 7:30am. Same in the woods up to the ice falls. We were post-holing pretty bad after the falls and entering the amphitheater as we encountered several 2-3ft drifts of soft powder. It took us 3 hours to get to the entrance of the amphitheater so we turned around. There was just enough snow in the amphitheater to cover most of the small low-lying boulders (maybe 9 inches). Snowshoeing was difficult as we would sink down to the rocks and twist ankles. Microspikes would be good, but make sure you have gaiters on and be prepared to post-hole in between rocks. Conditions looked the same all the way up the amphitheater, can‘t speak for the rest of the route. By the way, this was my first attempt at a snow climb, so I might be missing some knowledge/gear that would have made this climb much easier and time-efficient. Tyler Phillips   2013-11-29  0  1    Edit Delete 
2013-11-18  From Kite Lake  Again, probably not the greatest picture but with new snow this is taken from flight to Denver to San Diego this morning E-dorvs   2013-11-18 1  1    Edit Delete 
2013-10-26  From Kite Lake  Condition and weather was perfect for this time of year. Very slight wind on the way up and virtually no wind on the summit. There were patches of snow on the way but not enough to warrant micro-spikes nor gaiters. vxnguyen   2013-10-28  0     Edit Delete 
2013-10-12  From Kite Lake  Gaiters were useful but no traction devices needed yet. Decalibron is in fine shape. Trail is still quite easy to follow. This loop is definitely not in winter conditions yet! Definitely colder than summer, though ;) stevevets689   2013-10-16 3     Edit Delete 
2013-08-27  From the Quartzville site  This was quite a pleasant way up Lincoln. One follows a jeep road all the way up to the base of the summit at 14,000, and then a short trail from there. The jeep road seems rarely used, so the gravel is not torn up, but is firm and fine to walk on. I saw no one until I got to the summit, and then greeted several folks making the four-summit loop from Kite Lake. alanecharlesworth   2013-08-27  0     Edit Delete 
2013-04-06  From the Quartzville site  Last half mile to 4WD trailhead is impassable due to snow. Other than that half mile, snowshoes were not necessary for the "short‘ route up the east shoulder. I guess things will certainly change with the approaching storm, however. jbchalk   2013-04-08 3     Edit Delete 
2013-03-16  From Kite Lake  My sister and I climbed the Calibron yesterday from the Paris Mill closure - sorry, no pictures since I forgot my camera in the car. It was snowing lightly when we started up the road, and then it stopped as we climbed up the west side of Bross, which is mostly dry. As we approached Lincoln‘s summit, the weather deteriorated quickly into a fierce wind and snowstorm, and we decided to forfeit Democrat as we needed to be back in Denver later in the day. Microspikes were very helpful, but snowshoes weren‘t needed until below the Democrat-Cameron saddle, where there is a lot more snow coverage. DanielL   2013-03-17  0  1  Edit Delete 
2013-02-03  From the Quartzville site  Did Decalibron yesterday (with Brad adding on S Bross) from Moose Creek via Quartzville. Overall: did not need special equipment beyond trekking poles, though in colder weather or early/late in the day, microspikes might be a good idea. Avy risk is essentially nil with proper choice of route, though only because there‘s not much snow up there right now. Kite Lake Rd was difficult-to-impassable past the usual winter plowing area, even with high-clearance 4WD, and we opted to go up the plowed and mostly-dry road network to the east of the peaks, parking at Moose Creek and hiking up the Quartzville approach. Lincoln: the road up to the Quartzville site had a few areas where post-holing/snowshoeing was pretty much necessary, but above the site, most of the road was dry, or had hard-packed, slightly slick snow. We went up the scree and talus slopes east of the summit, which were pretty dry as well; the last ~200‘ to the summit had far more snow cover, but it was still possible to pick a line to the top staying mostly on rock. Democrat: from the saddle, most of the trail was covered in snow, with patches of especially-hard, slippery snow and ice here and there. It‘s possible to stay on rock most of the way up, and we made it to the top without putting on microspikes (barely). The last 200‘ of uphill involved a lot of frozen-over, slippery snow. Cameron: some snow patches (generally avoidable) and the trails on the N and W sides had some packed snow which was generally safely barebootable. South side was pretty dry. Bross: pretty well dry, any snow is generally avoidable (ditto for S Bross). We descended from near the Bross/Cameron saddle back into the Quartzville drainage, which was also mostly dry and stable. The ridge back toward Moose Creek looked fairly dry as well, with one snow patch near the base that appeared as though it could be skirted on the south. ChrisinAZ   2013-02-04  0  2    Edit Delete 

Return to the main Peak Conditions page

© 2015®, 14ers Inc.