Pawnee Pass and Buchanan Pass Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Pawnee Pass and Buchanan Pass Conditions

Post by centrifuge »

Has anyone been on either of these passes and know the conditions re: snow? I am assuming they are close to clear, but I would rather have confirmation before I get to the West side of Pawnee pass and realize I can't get over it with just my running shoes... :)
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
yetibreath
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pawnee Pass and Buchanan Pass Conditions

Post by yetibreath »

The snow is melting fast, but right now (July 9) both passes have snow on the trails, so if you try it with running shoes, you will get very wet. Also, as the snow melts, the trails down lower in the trees are quite muddy. I am still wearing my waterproof hiking boots and probably won't switch to sneakers until the end of the month.
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

We did Sawtooth about two weeks ago and there was a ton of snow above Coney Flats. Definitely needed waterproof boots and gaiters, alongs with microspikes. Buchanan Pass had quite a few snow as well, not sure about Pawnee Pass...
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Any recent updates? I called the Boulder Ranger station today, the ranger answering the phone told me that Pawnee Pass is ok, but Buchanan Pass still has a lot of snow and requires ice axe and crampons. But their information is only as reliable as the last time someone hiked it and gave them an update. I'm doing the loop with some friends in the next couple of days, they don't have ice axe and crampons, so I may have to modify our plan if they are indeed required.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

polar wrote:Any recent updates? I called the Boulder Ranger station today, the ranger answering the phone told me that Pawnee Pass is ok, but Buchanan Pass still has a lot of snow and requires ice axe and crampons. But their information is only as reliable as the last time someone hiked it and gave them an update. I'm doing the loop with some friends in the next couple of days, they don't have ice axe and crampons, so I may have to modify our plan if they are indeed required.
Are you doing it with Front Range Ultra Runners on Sunday ?

This is a quick report from somebody who did the loop on July 4th:

"Still a good amount of snow, but the entire loop is doable. Some navigation issues near Audobon - large patches of snow made navigation difficult. Took almost 10 hours. It was pretty warm up there and there should be a lot less snow on the 27th."
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

And FWIW, I was in the Tenmile range last weekend and did not see a drop of snow under 12k feet, which is higher than Buchanan Pass.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Please report back once you're done :) !
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

jomagam wrote:Are you doing it with Front Range Ultra Runners on Sunday ?
No, just a backpacking trip with a few friends. For some it will be their first backpacking trip. If we do decide to check out Buchanan Pass, I will post conditions upon my return.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

Just did the Pawnee Buchanan loop last weekend. Gorgeous hike. Lone Eagle/Crater Lake is so freakin pretty. As far as snow, there's a small patch on the east side of Pawnee and all clear until Buchanan. There are a few good size patches of snow on the East side of Buchanan but everything is hikeable. Crazy though how much snow has stayed around. We saw some as low as 11k..and big drifts too. No need for crampons. LOTS of water coming down so expect to get soggy for a good portion of the Buchanan side. Didn't see many people at all. Can't believe such an awesome hike is so close. Also, I don't envy those trail runners. That has to be a brutal run for them.
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

We only did a one-nighter to Crater Lake and back, due to a minor incident one of my friend had. But from talking to trail runners who did the loop counterclock-wise, the entire loop is passable without crampons and ice axe.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Yes, I did the loop ccw as well. Only about 100 yards of snowfield to cross.