Longs Info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Info

Post by PaliKona »

What makes the chockstone so exposed? A long fall backward to the Trough is possible?

I kinda wish the Battle Mtn campsite was not a "group" site. That would make a good spot to stay the night and not sleep too high and breaks the trip up better than Goblins.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

PaliKona wrote:What makes the chockstone so exposed? A long fall backward to the Trough is possible?

I kinda wish the Battle Mtn campsite was not a "group" site. That would make a good spot to stay the night and not sleep too high and breaks the trip up better than Goblins.
The chockstone itself isn't exposed, just tricky to deal with. After you get past it, there is some serious exposure directly to your right, but you take a left and go through the narrows.
Lemmiwinks wrote:Marmots are like the wagyu beef of alpine meats.
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

adamjm wrote:
PaliKona wrote:What makes the chockstone so exposed? A long fall backward to the Trough is possible?

The chockstone itself isn't exposed, just tricky to deal with. After you get past it, there is some serious exposure directly to your right, but you take a left and go through the narrows.
With that said, it is possible to fall back towards the trough as my friend did that (watch your footing!) and I caught him before he proceeded to start tumbling down said trough.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

adamjm wrote:

Actually, I think The Narrows is what I was thinking of. There is one boulder on The Narrows that you have to either climb over or step around while hanging onto it. It's not a difficult move either way, but it's a long fall if you mess up.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Having just done longs on saturday for my first class 3 mountain. I would say the most dangerous part of the climb is right after the keyhole where the rebar is. I felt that was the one place that even with careful foot and handwork you could be one mistake from sliding off that slab. The narrows were probably the least scary spot for me, mostly due to how not "narrow" they actually are.

as far as RT times it took me around 10 hours with 2 30-45 minute stops

3:00AM left car
6:05AM Keyhole
7:45AM Summit
(1/2 hour break for lunch)
9:45AM Keyhole
(45 Minutes in the boulderfield watching SAR helicopter drop off SAR personnel)
1PM Car

I would say I was hiking above average speed on the way up all the way to the keyhole, and then probably average speed all the way to the summit.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

nsaladin wrote:Having just done longs on saturday for my first class 3 mountain. I would say the most dangerous part of the climb is right after the keyhole where the rebar is. I felt that was the one place that even with careful foot and handwork you could be one mistake from sliding off that slab. The narrows were probably the least scary spot for me, mostly due to how not "narrow" they actually are.

1PM Car

I would say I was hiking above average speed on the way up all the way to the keyhole, and then probably average speed all the way to the summit.
That's pretty fast! Also, I entirely agree with you about the slippery slab with the rebar, as well as the Narrows.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

AlexeyD wrote:
nsaladin wrote:Having just done longs on saturday for my first class 3 mountain. I would say the most dangerous part of the climb is right after the keyhole where the rebar is. I felt that was the one place that even with careful foot and handwork you could be one mistake from sliding off that slab. The narrows were probably the least scary spot for me, mostly due to how not "narrow" they actually are.

1PM Car

That's pretty fast! Also, I entirely agree with you about the slippery slab with the rebar, as well as the Narrows.
I think I was going a little faster than normal on ascent because I tagged along with 3 people that were traveling extremely fast and light, and I was probably running on pure adrenalin. Only got 2 hours of sleep.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Is there cell reception on Longs (I have Verizon)?
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

PaliKona wrote:Is there cell reception on Longs (I have Verizon)?
I also have Verizon. In June, I had mediocre reception on the summit, and none anywhere else on the mountain.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

What about texting? Same?
simargl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by simargl »

Have verizon, was not able to send a text on the summit, didn't try to call. One person was on their phone but had walked around to find the best service spot for a while.

To the original post, If you part at the Copeland (Sandbeach) Trailhead there is a fee but only has a employee from 8am-4:30pm. That is the TH for Keplingers Couloir.
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

I didn't actually try texting, just calling.