Wetterhorn Peak Video

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wetterhorn Peak Video

Post by mr_Chris »

I had to turn around on Wetterhorn this summer b/c I couldn't stomach the final push. Got about 20 feet up, saw the exposure, and being alone, didn't feel safe trying to summit. On the other hand, I didn't have any trouble with the homestretch on Longs at all. I had heard a lot of people say that if you could handle the homestretch on Longs, you could handle the last 100 feet of class 3 on Wetterhorn, but I was an exception to that guideline lol. The more I see video of it, though, the more it seems very doable and makes me want to go back and try again, probably with a buddy this time. :)
Huckleberry
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Huckleberry »

I hiked it solo last year. Some clouds rolled in and visibility was down to less than 100' at that section, so I never saw the exposure. The video makes me glad I couldn't see too far, I probably would have been terrified. It was an enjoyable section of class 3 though.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Hungry Jack wrote:No kidding. How exposed is it?
Very? Not sure how to rate that. I've felt more exposed elsewhere, the short stretch on the Sawtooth being the first thing that comes to mind. But if you slipped and got any kind of momentum going, or a roll... it would be bad. Down and out is pretty open, but you've got rock to your left and right (and up). I'm near the bottom in this shot, and it's a wide angle lens pointed down, but it's the best one I have that's postable right now showing exposure. I believe the ledge in the up video is the flat red area up and left of me, and I'm somewhere in the vicinity of OP's partner when he looks up at the end.
near the bottom
near the bottom
14.jpg (258.78 KiB) Viewed 484 times
I've only got one picture I can find off-hand where the camera isn't pointed down or up (which, in combination with the super wide angle of the video is what can make it seem steeper than it is), but it's higher up near the top on the steps and not the steepest part. Heck, it's probably the widest or least sloped part of that section.
on a step
on a step
11.jpg (164.83 KiB) Viewed 484 times
As far as comparing the Homestretch and Wetterhorn I've heard much the same thing, but I view it more of a 'if you're ok on Long's, then Wetterhorn is the next little step up and you should be good'. Roach describes it as a 'gateway' or taste of the harder ones if all you've done are easier ones.

BTW OP, nice vids. Just wish they were longer. ;D
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Those pics are first rate!
please rotate your device
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Hungry Jack wrote:Those pics are first rate!
I agree, great pictures. Although it seems like exposure always looks more dramatic in pictures and videos, than when I'm actually there, staring right at it. I remember this to be the case with Long's Homestretch, The Narrows, and Wetterhorn's final 100-foot pitch. I'm not sure if that's reality, or mind-over-matter. Anyways, I've always enjoyed looking at pictures of exposure on peaks I intend to do, but I'm learning that the best way to gauge it is to just get there and look right at it. But again, it's nice to look at pictures that other people have taken from high up on Wetterhorn, since I basically completely forgot I had my camera with me between "yellow dirt" and summit.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

I remember right before I did Wetterhorn there was a thread about exposure. Someone wrote, "Don't believe the pictures". I'm really skittish on exposure and Wetterhorn was simply a blast. Glad I didn't let the fear stay in my head. In the middle of the last part I was thinking how fun it would be to bring my wife and two daughters on that hike. The exposure can be greatly exaggerated by how you frame the photo.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver