Expanded 14ers Statistics

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Expanded 14ers Statistics

Post by DanielL »

adamjm wrote: I was hoping putting "least favorite" in quotes would somewhat explain this but I see how its misleading.

You're (and jenkscolin) correct. It is a list of least favorited, or least likely to be a 14ers.com user's listed favorite peak. So, taking into account that (according to Bill) only 11% of people on this site have climbed it, its obviously not going to have a whole lot of love for favorite peak.
Ah, that makes more sense. So that means that one person's favorite is Mt. Cameron? :? :lol:
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Yeah, but that could be a joke. Both my goals and my accomplishments on my profile are Sherman.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

justiner wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:
I can see 500k+; that's roughly three laps of the 14ers, which is doable in one summer.
That's still quite a bit - my 14er trip on bike was about 150k of elevation gain for hiking and and another 150k for cycling. That's in one month. The rest of the year was around 10,000/week total. It was probably another 300k for the year leading up to it (~10,000ft/week). I've severly slowed down since the beginning of Sept.

Edit: Strava sez: 531,227ft running, 280,243 cycling Total: 811,470 ft

If you did that much or more, man hats off to you. I don't think I was truly holding down a full time job during that time!
I cannot imagine why. Congratulations again on an amazing accomplishment.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

DaveLanders wrote:I picked up a current official (Colorado Tourism Board, part of CDOT) Colorado highway map yesterday. It has a table with a list of 14ers.
It includes the same 58 as the 14ers.com list. Today, I was going through my old maps to recycle the out of date ones. My Colorado highway
map from 2 years ago also has a 14ers list, but it only has 54 peaks (the same 54 as the CMC list).

It would be interesting to know how the state decided which list to use.

More "official" 14ers = more trips to the state of CO by desperate out-of-staters trying to prove our worth by finishing an arbitrary list of mountains. :lol:

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Maybe as a joke we should add a "14er" outside of La Junta to the list, just to see how many people drive down there to climb it.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Jim Davies wrote:Maybe as a joke we should add a "14er" outside of La Junta to the list, just to see how many people drive down there to climb it.
Someone should get all the maps to mislabel Two Buttes by adding an extra "1" in front of their elevation (they are 4711'), then it would not only be a 14er but the highest point in the lower 48, and most certainly an ultra prominence peak. That would attract all sort of people :lol:

http://listsofjohn.com/peak/6754
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

bergsteigen wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote: I can see 500k+; that's roughly three laps of the 14ers, which is doable in one summer.
500k is quite doable. I managed 400K in 2013 and was on track for this year, and I have a full time job.

IF I were to run up Green Mountain during the week... That yearly elevation gain could approach 1 or 2 million. But I like to rest during the week.
Yup. I consider myself a lower-mileage type of ultra runner, and had strung together 4 consecutive 300-500k years. Meaning there are a decent amount of guys out there getting 500k to a million in a year.

Tony had some crazy Green Mountain totals back in the day. Probably neared one million on that hill alone.

Plenty of lies, exaggerations, or just plain user errors out there.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

rijaca wrote:Are you aware that this site already has some of this info......http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php?
I think it would be interesting to see stats on the 13ers (pulled from the user's checklist). I'm volunteering someone else to do it. I'm dumb.
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

d_baker wrote:
rijaca wrote:Are you aware that this site already has some of this info......http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php?
I think it would be interesting to see stats on the 13ers (pulled from the user's checklist). I'm volunteering someone else to do it. I'm dumb.
You guys are in luck. I get paid to do literally nothing, so I'll spend some time next week doing this. And by that I mean spending about 20X the amount of time it would take to just query Bill's db. How bout it Bill? Read-only?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

adamjm, it will be interesting to see what you come up with. Since our 13ers checklist doesn't include questions such as "favorite peak" and "first 13er" some of the stats that Bill displays for 14ers will obviously not be available to us. But most popular peak by Range I would assume would be easy. LOJ probably has this stuff, but I don't go there.
Thank your employer for me too!
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Yeah I'll probably check out some LOJ stuff as well. My employer says you're welcome and that they apologize for whatever happens to your equity investments due to my efforts.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks for making good use of your time! :) I'm into stat stuff.