Holy Cross/Travel beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Holy Cross/Travel beta

Post by apasquel »

question 1: Has anyone traveled into airport security with microspikes in their carry on? or will I have to check it in? I'm just coming in for the weekend and only hoping to bring a carry on pack...but will check in if have to.

question 2: for you residents...what are they saying about the weather for this weekend? My options this weekend are to go climb a couple 14ers or go rock climbing in one of the front range crags (Eldo or head into the Park)...I climb all the time, so I would prefer a 14er for the weekend.

Thoughts?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Holy Cross/Travel beta

Post by Jim Davies »

They confiscate fingernail clippers. I'd plan on checking them.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

They confiscate fingernail clippers.
Not anymore. They've been permitted for a few years now.

I don't think they would allow microspikes though.

Anyway, I just noticed this one on the prohibited list:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2002/ ... pands-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toy transformer robots
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Curious...with the new snow fall, will the trail below treeline difficult to follow on Holy Cross...specifically, half moon pass and back down into valley before going back up Holy Cross. Or is there not that much snow yet?

Also, Tigiwon Rd...any current conditions out there?
bhess86
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bhess86 »

apasquel wrote:Curious...with the new snow fall, will the trail below treeline difficult to follow on Holy Cross...specifically, half moon pass and back down into valley before going back up Holy Cross. Or is there not that much snow yet?

Also, Tigiwon Rd...any current conditions out there?
I'm very curious about this also. Hoping to hit HC soon. Anybody know how much snow it takes before Tigowon road becomes impassable?
Benedicite montes et colles Domino, laudate et superexaltate eum in saecula.