Mt. Audobon, standard E slopes route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Mt. Audobon, standard E slopes route

Post by AlexeyD »

Anyone been up there recently? Wondering how much of a trail-breaking nightmare the summer trail would be with all the recent snow.
specmiata37
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Audobon, standard E slopes route

Post by specmiata37 »

Heading up there Sunday for Audubon and Paiute Peak. Will let you know.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

specmiata37 wrote:Heading up there Sunday for Audubon and Paiute Peak. Will let you know.
Thanks! We're going on Saturday, though :) Will try to post an update as well.
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

I'd be curious to see any photos too if you got them. I am thinking of trying Crooked Couloir in a few weeks if the avy danger stays as low as it is.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

brett.t.burch wrote:I'd be curious to see any photos too if you got them. I am thinking of trying Crooked Couloir in a few weeks if the avy danger stays as low as it is.
Ended up sleeping in and going climbing instead, after hearing all that wind down in Boulder and checking forecast for the higher elevations. FWIW, coverage Audobon still looks decent at least from 40 miles away in Lafayette :)
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

We went up there yesterday on the Std route. It was so windy we turned around as soon as we started to get out of the trees at 11K. We wore snowshoes about 1/4 way up and all the way down since there were no tracks since the Thurs/Fri storm. You might be fine now without them up to Mitchell Lake TH thanks to all the skiers and hikers yesterday. However, above that we were the only tracks so you would definitely still need them. Can't comment on couloir conditions since we didn't go up that basin. In general there's still a lot snow up there considering how little it's snowed in the last few weeks.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

alpinenut wrote:We went up there yesterday on the Std route. It was so windy we turned around as soon as we started to get out of the trees at 11K.
Hah - makes me feel validated for staying in bed :) If anything, it was even windier on Sat.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

AlexeyD wrote:
alpinenut wrote:We went up there yesterday on the Std route. It was so windy we turned around as soon as we started to get out of the trees at 11K.
Hah - makes me feel validated for staying in bed :) If anything, it was even windier on Sat.
The Indian peaks looks very alive (windy/snow) from s boulder peak yesterday.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal