Trail Runner Recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Trail Runner Recommendations

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Salomon Sense Mantras are the best running shoes I have ever owned. They've done great on dirt, rocks, mud and snow and have been extremely durable. Great fit on my feet.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

For an all purpose mountain running shoe I love the Inov8 X-talon 212. It's on the lighter weight side, but great lugs for traction on dirt, mud, snow and sticky rubber (I've climbed flatirons in them). Definitely not for someone with a wide foot though, as they are on the narrower side. I can't wear the Altras cause they are too sloppy on my narrow feet, also haven't been very impressed with there rubber on rock.
Heard great things about the Helios SR from several friends, but have yet to try them myself.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

thebeave7 wrote:For an all purpose mountain running shoe I love the Inov8 X-talon 212. It's on the lighter weight side, but great lugs for traction on dirt, mud, snow and sticky rubber (I've climbed flatirons in them). Definitely not for someone with a wide foot though, as they are on the narrower side. I can't wear the Altras cause they are too sloppy on my narrow feet, also haven't been very impressed with there rubber on rock.
Heard great things about the Helios SR from several friends, but have yet to try them myself.

Eric
Have you tried the Inov-8 Ultra Race 270? Reasonably light (though a bit heavier than your 212), but is a pretty solid all day shoe with great protection and traction (despite moderate lugs). I too have had a similar experience with the Altras, they are comfortable, but the outsole is not particularly grabby on rock (especially when wet) and I get a bit of foot slop on descents. All of this is magnified greatly when pushing even a little bit hard, so I just wear them for the occasional casual outing or around town.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

If anybody is interested the LS Anakonda has been showing up on Steep&Cheap several times this week for around $55.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
ParanoidJoe
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ParanoidJoe »

+! for the New Balance Leadvile 1210 v2. Very comfortable and very stable (I intonate quite a bit so these keep my foot in the right spot) Plenty of grip. I've been hiking a bit in them and think they are bomb.

Con: a bit more cushion then most people enjoy (its an endurance trail shoe)
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

Dynafit Pantera. Got mine at Leadville Outdoors. Much more protection underfoot than any others, and great cushioning. Ran a mess of peaks in them last season and they're ready to go again. They have a shank, so you don't feel rocks thru the sole, like my Cascadias. The Altra's rip apart on rough terrain, and the soles wear quickly, despite their popularity. The Dynafit Pantera has a simple lace system that snugs well, cool mesh uppers, extreme grip & traction, durability, roomy toebox- it's a true mountain shoe and will protect you with a well padded yet controlled ride.
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

If my dead body was ever found wearing running shoes, on a trail in Colorado, anywhere, those that have known me for a very long time, would know I have been murdered. They would know somebody dropped my body and changed my shoes from hiking boots to runners. Old dude, slow routes and low velocity. God bless the runners.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

ParanoidJoe wrote:+! for the New Balance Leadvile 1210 v2. Very comfortable and very stable (I intonate quite a bit so these keep my foot in the right spot) Plenty of grip. I've been hiking a bit in them and think they are bomb.

This shoe looks really promising for me––out of curiosity, if you have other NB shoes, have you found the Leadville true to size in comparison to other NB shoes?

I've got two pairs of NB––the 565 kicking around shoe and one of their RevLite trainers and found both to be excellent fits. I ask about the "true to size" aspect because I could order them online cheaper rather than going into a box store for a fitting.
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

benlen wrote:
ParanoidJoe wrote:+! for the New Balance Leadvile 1210 v2. Very comfortable and very stable (I intonate quite a bit so these keep my foot in the right spot) Plenty of grip. I've been hiking a bit in them and think they are bomb.

This shoe looks really promising for me––out of curiosity, if you have other NB shoes, have you found the Leadville true to size in comparison to other NB shoes?

I've got two pairs of NB––the 565 kicking around shoe and one of their RevLite trainers and found both to be excellent fits. I ask about the "true to size" aspect because I could order them online cheaper rather than going into a box store for a fitting.
I find them to be true to size regarding length and standard width (D I think).
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

La Sportiva Ultra Raptors
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Jeff Valliere wrote:
benlen wrote:

I find them to be true to size regarding length and standard width (D I think).

Just got them in the mail––I loved the look and sole, but the heel was too wide for my feet! A size 10 in the Leadville 1210 was longer than the usual size 10 New Balance.

Would you guys suggest exchanging for a 9 1/2, or just returning them?
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Odd, I wear a 9.5-10 (though usually prefer 10 when given the choice) and have a pretty slim foot, yet did not find any fit issues with my size 10, but every foot is different of course. New Balance is one of the few companies that offer various widths, are you sure it is not a wider version?

If you have not tried them ahead of time, fit is a really tough one when ordering for the first time. Though I too am always on the hunt for a good deal online, I often recommend going to a running retailer to try on different models in different sizes, as they can vary wildly and a reputable shop like Boulder Running Company or Runners Roost do a great job at advising you with fit and a shoe that fits your preferences and running gait. You may pay a little more the first time, but it can save you a lot of hassle and ensure that you have the right shoe. Once you know exactly the shoe that works, maybe buy a few pairs if you find a clearance deal or whatever at a later date.

Related side story on fit... I am currently testing a pair of Asics Gel Fuji Runnegades and when choosing between a 9.5 and 10, I was blown away at the difference between the two. In the 9.5, my toe was jammed against the front of the shoe and would certainly not work. I then put on the 10 and had to double check that it was not a 10.5 or 11, as I had a good half inch of space. I opted with the 10, they seem to work just fine, but there is way too much bulk in the forefoot and makes a popping noise with each step. There are some crazy variations out there!