Longs Peak this summer- sensible/realisitic for me?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TxRunner507
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak this summer- sensible/realisitic for me?

Post by TxRunner507 »

Hey everyone, first time poster here. This is way in advance, as I won't be able to go until the summer, but I've been thinking a lot about climbing 14ers lately and Longs in particular, so figured I'd seek out some input here. I'm a fit but relatively inexperienced flatlander from Texas, and I'm trying to decide if Longs would be an appropriate peak for me to attempt. I've done a few of the "easy" 14ers before- Elbert, Handies, Massive, and Yale to be specific- but nothing beyond class 2. I'm looking for something that's a bit more of a challenge/includes more "interesting" terrain, but not really technical per se, as I really don't have any mountaineering skills or experience. I'm an ex- collegiate cross country runner who still runs regularly, so fitness shouldn't be an issue, but I don't have much faith at all in my coordination, haha, so if I do Longs I'd rather go at a time when it's relatively safe weather-wise. Obviously, I know it's never 100% safe, and that proper preparation and gear are important, but would like to minimize risks related to the conditions.

All that said, I was hoping some people here might be able to weigh in on (1) whether Longs Peak would be a good peak for a person like me, and (2) if so, when is the best time to go? (I loveeeeee getting to see snow, but from what I've read the presence of snow on Longs makes it a technical climb, and I'd like to avoid having to buy an ice ax/crampons or anything like that, especially since I've never used them). Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on fun/interesting/scenic and challenging but not super technical climbs to try, please do tell! Thanks:)
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Longs Peak this summer- sensible/realisitic for me?

Post by Tornadoman »

I think Longs is a reasonable step for someone who has done several 14ers and hasn't had issues at altitude. There are definitely some airy spots (mainly the ledges and narrows), and a few steeper parts where you'll use your hands, (top of trough and homestretch). Longs is a great mountain, and with the bulls-eyes painted on rocks it is hard to get off course, which can be comforting for someone new to scrambling. I would recommend finding a partner. If you don't have a partner on this board. Also be willing to turn around if you aren't comfortable with conditions.

As for a time of year, it varies, but usually late July to early September seem to be the best times to avoid snow. Thunderstorms become much less frequent the later you go into September, but the snow chances increase.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pops921 »

Very reasonable next mountain for you. In addition, to the comments made by the earlier poster...Longs will take more time then the other peaks you have done. I think I was a little over 7 hours round trip on Elbert this year and a little under 12 hours on Longs. So endurance is important. As far as time of year...others may know better....but after labor day there are lower crowds and fewer afternoon thunderstorms
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
codogg81
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by codogg81 »

Longs is a realistic step up from the peaks you've done. It's a blast. I would recommend (depending on the snow situation) attempting after mid July to be safe from ice and snow hazards. Pick a bluebird day. If clouds are rolling in when you get to the keyhole don't chance it. Prepare for a long hard day.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

As to finding a partner...on any given day, there are hordes of folks headed up through the Keyhole during the normal "14er season". Even more hordes on the weekends with good weather. Chances are pretty good that you will run into someone hiking along at roughly your pace. Hooking up with someone like that (or getting a partner beforehand) will help with the confidence and moral support as you tackle the backside of the Keyhole, the Trough, the Narrows, and the Homestretch. Depending on the snowpack this year, you may not have a clean, non-technical route even into later July. August and September ar good months--and there will still be plenty of snow patches in the high mountains to make your photos interesting. Good luck! P.S. Leave early. 1-2a.m. is not unreasonable. Getting to the Keyhole at dawn is beautiful and gets you a pretty good jump on afternoon thunderstorms.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

Longs was my 13th 14er and I consider myself fairly scared of heights, but felt very comfortable on it. I felt the crux was the long hike back in the heat after returning to the boulder field. Also, if it is very windy at the keyhole try going through it and 100-200 ft past it and the wind should abate. When we were climbing it many were turning around due to wind at the keyhole, but we went past it and the wind essentially died down about 100' past it on the other side. It's a blast.
TxRunner507
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TxRunner507 »

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone! Appreciate the information. As to the partner thing, I'm hoping to either travel with one of my friends who is athletic but has not climbed 14ers, meet up with another friend who's a Colorado native and has climbed multiple 14ers, and/or if nothing else go with my dad. So in any case I shouldn't have to go alone! I probably won't be able to go any later than mid to late July, but hopefully that should be ok.
Sunbeast85
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sunbeast85 »

I'll chime in since I hiked Long's this summer. I have hiked a lot in Colorado but I haven't done many 14ers because its difficult for me to get my friends to join me. I did this in mid-August and instead of hiking the whole thing in one day I hiked up to the Boulderfield and camped there so I could hike in the morning. Now, the Boulderfield isn't the nicest place to camp, but it has some benefits including adorable pikas, plenty of marmots to look at, and great star viewing at night (if it's clear). I woke up at about 6am and was on my way up to the keyhole by 6:30. If camping there is a possibility for you (or down below at the Goblin Forest site) I recommend it. The hike up to the Boulderfield is fairly daunting, and if you start from the trailhead you have to start really early, like 3-4am, to avoid mid-day weather issues. I also did this hike by myself. Now I fully agree that hiking alone (on a 14er especially) is probably a bad idea. However, you will never be alone on Long's peak. It's one of the most popular trails in Rocky Mountain National Park, and it is one of the most popular 14ers in Colorado. I started early and hiked on a Monday, and I was constantly within 50 feet of another group of people.

Anyway, if you are in good shape and don't have an intense fear of heights, then you should be fine. However, I think it's fair to admit that I was reallly scared while climbing Long's Peak and I had a few moments where I almost turned around. For example when I came around the corner to the Trough and saw how huge and steep and intimidating it was. Turns out the Trough is like the easiest part, but it looks scary from below. The Narrows is a very short section, but be super duper careful and go slow, and do not look down. I thought the scariest part as the Homestretch which looked vertical from the bottom, and scared the crap out of me. Once you're up at the top its flat and wide and beautiful. Also, the climb back down is way less frightening, just go slow and take your time.

So yes I agree with everyone that you should have no problem with Long's Peak, but do be prepared for a challenge and expect to feel like you are in danger because you will be. Thousands of people summit Longs every year without any problems, including old men and little children, but people die there every year too, so respect the mountain, and enjoy!
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

+1 to what most have stated here, start way-early, get down before the storms if you go during monsoon season and be ready to bail if the skies are deteriorating. Consider September to avoid the monsoon. Do it!

In summer, the parking lot will be near-full by 3 am. Assuming a 12 or 14-hour day, this puts you in thunderstorm risk up high if you arrive any later.

Longs was my first 14er, which was riskier than doing it after a few others, as you have done. I just re-read my TR from 16 years ago, it states: "do not go beyond the Keyhole unless you are absolutely certain of dry conditions". I would avoid the temptation to try and ramp up your skillset in ice/snow conditions here. Try that somewhere safer. Go after RMNP Longs Peak ranger station calls it a non-technical climb, typically early July. This site typically announces it, or you can read the Denver news to find out. My climb was on August 9; it took me 13 1/2 hours.

I also recall that many people gave up at the Keyhole. The key (pun intended) is to pace yourself the first 6 miles of uphill to the Keyhole such that you have enough left for the Ledges/Trough/Narrows/Homestretch, which is spectacular with Class 2-3 terrain. A reminder to stay loyal to the bulls-eyes beyond the Keyhole. Have fun and share a TR with us next year!
technicolorNH
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by technicolorNH »

Judging by your past experience a dry summer day climb of Longs is well within your abilities. Like some others have mentioned getting an early start is crucial for safety and there will be times on your climb where you will get very up close and personal with some exposure. It won't be horrid but you will realize the mountain can kill you in the blink of an eye IF you don't pay attention to your hand and foot placement in a few spots so you will be attentive in ways you haven't been on other mountains. For some of us, that's definitely part of the draw.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

You are qualified to do it as a 5th 14er.

First, plan for August. Late springs or early autumn can ice up the trail in July and September sometimes.

Second, try to do it at least 3 or 4 days into a Colorado trip. When I lived in California coastal cities I found a couple nights sleeping at 10K feet to be really helpful climbing CA 14ers.

Third itvis an endurance hike at 15 miles and a mile climb. It will take 9 to 12 hours. If you can get in some hikes or bikes of that duration even in low areas, that will help a lot.