Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

50 miler for my scouts?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 50 miler for my scouts?

Postby sheller » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 pm

We just did a 50 miler with our scouts last summer and did the Gore range. Start at Dillon Reservoir and move your way up north towards Green Mtn Reservoir. Not too bad for elevation gain. These scouts have also done a 50 miler in the Holy Cross Wilderness. We were also considering doing the big loops in Lost Creek Wilderness. If the boys are really adventurous you could do the weeklong Mountain Eater Scout challenge which involves climbing 6 peaks over a week- San Luis, Redcloud, Sunshine, Handies, Wetterhorn and Uncompahgre. You would easily get 50 miles. The DAC GOAT book is an excellent resource, although it is a little outdated. Here is a 1995 edition- http://www.bsatroop171.org/downloads/GOAT-1995.pdf

Postby Crestoner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 pm

My Scout troop did a "50-Miler" (I still have the patch!) in 1972. We started from an informal campsite along the eastern segment of Cottonwood Pass Road, went through St Elmo, Hancock, Garfield, the Marshall Pass area, and ended up at the O'Haver Lake Campground. We spent 2 nights near the Hancock townsite, and did a side trip up to the Alpine Tunnel. Overall, the trip was longer than 50 miles.

It was an awesome trip. The various roads penetrating the Sawatch provided considerable opportunity for re-supplying.

Postby summitbound » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Scott P wrote:
My son's troop counted 1000 feet of elevation gain as a mile when computing hike lengths. You might look into this, as it levels the playing field versus the flatlanders.

I will need to look into the 1,000 vert for a mile thing. I have not heard of that before. It certainly, as you said, would help even the playing field. I will ask around and google it.

Jim Davies wrote:My son's troop counted 1000 feet of elevation gain as a mile when computing hike lengths. You might look into this, as it levels the playing field versus the flatlanders. :)
The 50-milers they did in Colorado were:
1. Colorado Trail from Tennessee Pass to Halfmoon Creek, with a side trip up Massive.
2. The Elk Creek-Chicago Basin-Needleton loop, with two climbing days.
3. A loop starting out crossing Music Pass east-to-west, down Sand Creek to the Sand Ramp Trail in the Sand Dunes, up Medano Pass, and back on the Rainbow Trail.
4. The Ring The Peak trail, which has a gap in it but can be hiked one-way for about 50 miles.

Of these which was your son's favorite?

sheller wrote:The DAC GOAT book is an excellent resource, although it is a little outdated. Here is a 1995 edition- http://www.bsatroop171.org/downloads/GOAT-1995.pdf
[/quote]

EXCELLENT- TY for the link :)

Crestoner wrote:My Scout troop did a "50-Miler" (I still have the patch!) in 1972. We started from an informal campsite along the eastern segment of Cottonwood Pass Road, went through St Elmo, Hancock, Garfield, the Marshall Pass area, and ended up at the O'Haver Lake Campground. We spent 2 nights near the Hancock townsite, and did a side trip up to the Alpine Tunnel. Overall, the trip was longer than 50 miles.

It was an awesome trip. The various roads penetrating the Sawatch provided considerable opportunity for re-supplying.

I like the resupply aspect!!

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I really appreciate the ideas and suggestions. :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Postby jdawud » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 pm

I was a boyscout and I've hiked the PCT twice. If you're interested, I'd be happy to do a lightweight hiking clinic. Free of course. I can show them various gear options, talk about trail technique, good LNT techniques, food ideas and suggestions, gear mods and DIY gear, etc. They can even bring their kits and we can go through them to look for ideas to save weight.

PM me if you're interested and we can set something up.
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 pm

summitbound wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:The 50-milers they did in Colorado were:
1. Colorado Trail from Tennessee Pass to Halfmoon Creek, with a side trip up Massive.
2. The Elk Creek-Chicago Basin-Needleton loop, with two climbing days.
3. A loop starting out crossing Music Pass east-to-west, down Sand Creek to the Sand Ramp Trail in the Sand Dunes, up Medano Pass, and back on the Rainbow Trail.
4. The Ring The Peak trail, which has a gap in it but can be hiked one-way for about 50 miles.

Of these which was your son's favorite?

Conveniently, he's home right now so I asked him. He says the Elk Creek-Needleton loop, which is also the furthest from Denver, of course. :)

I also liked the Music Pass loop, except maybe for the last day on the Rainbow Trail which was a big of a slog. Music Pass is pretty special, and you could do a shuttle instead of a loop, ending up at either the Dunes or the Medano Pass road instead of closing the loop back to Music Pass. We also made a side-trip to Medano Lake from the top of the pass, and you can continue from there to the top of 13er Mt Herard pretty easily as one of your days, if you go that far. Another easy add-on would be to hike to one or both Sand Creek Lakes, which have decent camping. Descending Sand Creek was interesting, as there were 14 creek crossings, some of which involved wading up to knee-deep.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous