Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

REI dividend

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: REI dividend

Postby TehWoopig » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 am

carson_h wrote:Do your dividend purchases qualify for next years dividend? I checked the REI website, but it doesn't say. If not, I'm waiting until July 1 to cash out.

After a wedding, Argentina, Chile, and Belize in 2012, I'm embarassed to state the size of my dividend this year.

Nope. When you use your dividend on an item is puts and asterisk beside the item and notes that it is non-dividend purchase. I used my dividend on a bike trainer and it did that. Full price item.

Postby Kane » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am

Two things I'm shopping for: teva hiking sandles and black diamond icon headlamp. Identical items at Amazon about 20% less expensive. :? Need to ensure I'm getting a deal with that coupon.

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 am

$13.10. Hardly worth the gas/shipping to actually buy anything.

Is there a link somewhere I can click on that says, "Donate my REI Dividend to 14ers.com?"

Postby Carl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am

madbuck wrote:But you still have to request the check (in July or later), and it expires at the end of the following year, right? So there is a risk of not using it (all) beofre it expires; plus the "cost of money," that makes it most rational to use it for an otherwise planned purchase or get a check/cash as soon as allowable.

The portion of the dividend from member purchases expires, but the policy says the portion from the REI Visa eventually gets automatically refunded. I've still got the REI Visa but I do not shop at REI so I go there once a year to pick up my few hundred dollar refund in cash (although they could insist on sending a check). If you're cashing out every year it probably makes more sense to use a credit card with a reward system that you redeem directly, but I just haven't taken the time to research the options.

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:$77 and some change, mostly due to the REI Visa. Like others have mentioned I hardly ever pay full retail for outdoor gear. I'll probably get some trail runners (those of you that know me are gasping) or put it toward an Osprey Variant 37, because I'm a filthy, filthy pack whore.

An hour and a half after arrival, I left REI with a Sierra Designs Zissou 6-degree Dri Down sleeping bag. The Flagship only carries the Variant 52 and I figured I can get trailrunners elsewhere. My only other sleeping bags are 0- and 30-degree synthetics that pack down to about the size of a Volvo and weigh more than a medium-size dog, so I was in decent need of an upgrade for some trips planned this summer.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby JB99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 pm

TehWoopig wrote:
carson_h wrote:Do your dividend purchases qualify for next years dividend? I checked the REI website, but it doesn't say. If not, I'm waiting until July 1 to cash out.

After a wedding, Argentina, Chile, and Belize in 2012, I'm embarassed to state the size of my dividend this year.

Nope. When you use your dividend on an item is puts and asterisk beside the item and notes that it is non-dividend purchase. I used my dividend on a bike trainer and it did that. Full price item.

While your specific purchase may not have qualified, it is wrong to say that purchases with the dividend don't generally qualify for next year's. It's the same as cash and it says right on the dividend: "Except as specified, dividendable merchandise purchased with this dividend notice becomes eligible for a future member refund."
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

FYI,
If you can't find what you're looking for at REI, www.backcountry.com is also running a 20% off one item through April 7th.

Coupon code: SAVE20
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Dark Helmet » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Got new Keen hiking shoes and the correct insoles for them... 20% off the shoes and my dividend basically paid for the insoles.

I need a chance to work out the shoes here soon... I don't have a climb scheduled until June...

Postby CO Native » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm gonna spend mine on some new adventure gear for my kitten:
http://www.rei.com/share/adventure-kitten-gear.html?stop_mobi=yes&sf11012136=1
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby B[3] » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:04 pm

CO Native wrote:I'm gonna spend mine on some new adventure gear for my kitten:

Thanks for sharing! Kinda too bad that you can't actually add any of the items to your cart (could be interesting :twisted: ). I shudder to think of my cat with the Tiny Little Machete. :lol:
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby JB99 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Ended up grabbing a Big Agnes King Creek 4 tent for car camping... It was half off, plus another 20% off, minus my $82 dividend... brought my grand out of pocket total to $73. Not bad for a $350 tent. If only we had it in Moab a few weeks ago.

Postby Kitten » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 am

CO Native wrote:I'm gonna spend mine on some new adventure gear for my kitten:

ha ha ha, so funny... :lol: :lol:
Hey btw, kittens rule!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Previous