Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CALL!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CALL!

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Hey all,

The Leadville Marathon is at the end of this month; for those of you who want to participate in the running of the full marathon length by way of the Rob Jansen relay team, you need to go to their website and pay for the heavy half, and then email me your details so I can get this information to the organization and they can figure out the last few details for us. The organizers love this idea, and will provide full marathon shirts for us even for paying for the half.

As of my last count, there were 10-12 people interested, meaning we could have multiple runners/walkers per leg. In the next week or so, I will be finalizing with them how we are couriering participants to the different stage locations - most likely the medical tents along the leg (seems to be about 3 miles +/-between each).

Leadville Race Series

What I would like to see happen is that each runner (or leg team) be responsible for run/walking 3 miles uphill and downhill for a total of 6+ miles. I'd also like to coordinate with all runners for the last mile or so we are all together to cross the line at the same time. Once I get the total final count of participants we will figure this out one last time.

Please register by June 16th, it costs $97.08 for the Heavy Half. Email me that you have (send it to my real email - wildlobo71 at gmail) so we can get this information to them with 10 days or so to spare.

Contact me with any questions!

Bill.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Re: Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CAL

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I just need to know if you need another runner. I don't wanna step on any toes and steal someone's place but I'd love to get in on it

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:21 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I just need to know if you need another runner. I don't wanna step on any toes and steal someone's place but I'd love to get in on it

We don't have a quota - we are running for the fun, not for time... if you want to run, let me know.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 pm

i registered! who else is in? i'm excited for this. truly grateful that i can be a part of it

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:37 pm

and has everyone looked at the course profile? who the hell is doing miles 10-14? holy s**t, there's about 3k in vert

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello Team,

I am getting feedback from the race organizers that they are not going to allow any vehicles on the route - I thought there may be a way to get a relay vehicle along side much of the route, and I have called to confirm this with them. In light of this, I don't know that we would logistically be able to get people out to the furthest aid-stations where the middle legs would be run.

Alternative:

1-HHMarathon.jpg
Marathon / Half Marathon Route Map
1-HHMarathon.jpg (181.63 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Start with the Heavy Half at 8am -
team A runs from start to station A 1/2 (2.9 mile leg)
team B runs from station A 1/2 to station B (1.6 mile leg)
team C runs from station B to station A (2.7 mile leg)
team D runs from station A to finish (3.8 mile leg)

Total length is 10.9 miles.

In addition, we will need to be walking; I would like to - as a group - all cross the finish line together... this means we all would meet up at the junction of where the Half- and the Full Marathon split up. I would like to see the people who run as team A and team B walk back to the Junction; team C walk to the junction, and team D get to the junction so all teams can complete the last distance together. This is about starting and finishing as a team for the purposes of relaying for Rob, not for everyone completing the half marathon - you won't get recognition.

If you have signed up and not contacted me via email before, please do; please send me your email address ASAP - I would like to be coordinating teams over this weekend so it's all resolved.

wildlobo71 @ gmail.com

Thanks all! Bill.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby speth » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:10 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:Hello Team,

I am getting feedback from the race organizers that they are not going to allow any vehicles on the route - I thought there may be a way to get a relay vehicle along side much of the route, and I have called to confirm this with them. In light of this, I don't know that we would logistically be able to get people out to the furthest aid-stations where the middle legs would be run.

Alternative:

1-HHMarathon.jpg

Start with the Heavy Half at 8am -
team A runs from start to station A 1/2 (2.9 mile leg)
team B runs from station A 1/2 to station B (1.6 mile leg)
team C runs from station B to station A (2.7 mile leg)
team D runs from station A to finish (3.8 mile leg)

Total length is 10.9 miles.

In addition, we will need to be walking; I would like to - as a group - all cross the finish line together... this means we all would meet up at the junction of where the Half- and the Full Marathon split up. I would like to see the people who run as team A and team B walk back to the Junction; team C walk to the junction, and team D get to the junction so all teams can complete the last distance together. This is about starting and finishing as a team for the purposes of relaying for Rob, not for everyone completing the half marathon - you won't get recognition.

If you have signed up and not contacted me via email before, please do; please send me your email address ASAP - I would like to be coordinating teams over this weekend so it's all resolved.

wildlobo71 @ gmail.com

Thanks all! Bill.

I'm still planning to "run" the full half - are you guys getting tee-shirts or something? I'd like to participate, but it seems like you'll be finished with the race way before I could make it to mosquito pass and back. Let me know.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:46 pm

speth wrote:I'm still planning to "run" the full half - are you guys getting tee-shirts or something? I'd like to participate, but it seems like you'll be finished with the race way before I could make it to mosquito pass and back. Let me know.

I am not sure of tee-shirts at this late hour, otherwise this is the route I am proposing to the guy. If you are running the half legit, you are running outside the relay team - which is fine; you can still align yourself at the end to try to run with the group. I wouldn't bet you'd be any slower than 4 or 8 or whatever number of people.

It there are people who are running the half, or full, and don't care about their time - they could tell me so we can know to wait for you at the junction and we can all run in together... or you can wait for us.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby zdero1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I highly doubt I will make it to the junction before the relay team does, but I look forward to meeting up with you all at the end and for any get togethers after the race. You guys ROCK. If it wasn't for Rob I'd never even dream of doing this. Look forward to seeing everyone there. If anyone needs a ride from Denver PM me.

Postby Project Ralphie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I will be attempting the full, but as I so unwisely told my mother one Saturday night in high school - probably not a good idea to wait up for me, there's just no telling when I'll wander in. Would be great to meet up with folks if everyone is still around afterwards, but I'm guessing my finish will be late in the day.

BTW, yesterday as I was looking for race details, I ran across Rob's race report from last year. Well worth the read:

http://co-running.blogspot.com/2012/10/leadville-trail-marathon-race-report-by.html

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

OKAY!

I heard back from the Race organizers, and after talking to benfromtheeast (go check out and vote on whether or not his was a ski descent of Columbia on Skiing Laps on Mt. Columbia ) - I think we can make the half-marathon route work in full.

First, I need to know who may want to run the apex, from B-C, then who would want to run from C-B - that's the 2 Mosquito Pass legs.

The races start at 8am - we could get a seat in one of the aid worker's vehicles for the person who would run the leg from C down to B. The person who runs from B to C will have to walk back down, unfortunately, as no vehicles would be on the route at that time.

email me or PM me!

wildlobo71 at gmail . com
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm in. Thrilled to be doing this with y'all!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Next