Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Twofer Tuesday

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:25 pm

The Alkaline Trio, who I had the good fortune to see live on stage in Cincinnati in 2006:

And the Brian Jonestown Massacre, who I saw in Columbus 2002 and in Cleveland 2009:
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Re: Music

Postby d_baker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Vermont Mike wrote:Ha! I remember buying that No Alternative album back in the day for that Pumpkins song, and for the hidden Nirvana track. There's a few other good ones on that compilation as well.

I used to have that disc...and liked this cover by Soul Asylum:

Postby wooderson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 pm

d_baker wrote:
Vermont Mike wrote:Ha! I remember buying that No Alternative album back in the day for that Pumpkins song, and for the hidden Nirvana track. There's a few other good ones on that compilation as well.

I used to have that disc...and liked this cover by Soul Asylum:

Yeah, that's a good one DB... something made me remember that album a while back and I downloaded it on iTunes. Some great tracks from Soundgarden, Breeders, Uncle Tupelo and Sonic Youth on there.

an early happy Valentine's Day gift

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:22 pm

The genius and wizardry of Kevin Shields' feedback and distortion:

And they just dropped a new album last week (their first in two decades!)
http://www.mybloodyvalentine.org/NewsDetail.aspx?NID=623&flag=1
Album review here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/feb/04/mbv-review-my-bloody-valentine
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby MountainMedic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Dry the River has really struck my fancy lately - somewhat similar to Of Monsters and Men, but better (New Ceremony, Bible Belt). Balto's also pretty great - folk rock performed by some guys I knew in college (Monuments, Cavalry). I wouldn't be surprised if they hit it big soon.

I will be accepting requests for banjo videos on this thread. MTA did not get the attention deserved.

Postby Kiefer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Road trip music.

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby El Scooter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm in the band Instant Empire (from Denver) ... some of you might enjoy our music. It's some sort of combination of Indie Rock and Power Pop (internally in the band we constantly argue about what "genre" we fall into). Regardless ... we play around Denver all the time. If you enjoy music like Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Pinkerton-era Weezer, Bright Eyes, The National ... etc., you might enjoy us.

Here's a recent video we recorded live for CPR's OpenAir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_jMyou_DE&feature=youtu.be

You can stream our recent album here if interested:
http://www.instantempireband.com/?p=music

Happy listening...

Scotty

Re: Twofer Tuesday

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:The Alkaline Trio, who I had the good fortune to see live on stage in Cincinnati in 2006:

And the Brian Jonestown Massacre, who I saw in Columbus 2002 and in Cleveland 2009:

Brian - Howe are BJM shows? I just discovered this band in the last few years. Sound is so original, first time I heard them, I was shocked they were a modern band and not from the 60's. Lead singer sounds like he has a tendancy to be abrasive and volatile at times, random outbursts on stage, verbal altercations with fans in crowd. I also read he's gotten sober recently, so that might've resolved things.....

Re: Twofer Tuesday

Postby Mindy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 pm

lordhelmut wrote: Howe are BJM shows? I just discovered this band in the last few years. Sound is so original, first time I heard them, I was shocked they were a modern band and not from the 60's. Lead singer sounds like he has a tendancy to be abrasive and volatile at times, random outbursts on stage, verbal altercations with fans in crowd. I also read he's gotten sober recently, so that might've resolved things.....

Saw them 2 years ago in Denver. A definite "energy" amongst Anton and the band, but all of the fireworks of the old days were gone. I'd go again - still great music.

EDIT: Brian - What did you think?!

Re: an early happy Valentine's Day gift

Postby kimo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 am

Brian Thomas wrote:The genius and wizardry of Kevin Shields' feedback and distortion:
And they just dropped a new album last week (their first in two decades!)

Thanks dude for the reminder. Been waiting impatiently for it to finally happen. Caught your post Sunday night. Spent most of Monday with the door to my office closed, listening to it on repeat through my Grados.

lordhelmut wrote:Howe are BJM shows? I just discovered this band in the last few years. Sound is so original, first time I heard them, I was shocked they were a modern band and not from the 60's. Lead singer sounds like he has a tendancy to be abrasive and volatile at times, random outbursts on stage, verbal altercations with fans in crowd. I also read he's gotten sober recently, so that might've resolved things.....

Saw them 6 or 7 years ago somewhere in Denver. It was rough. They blew the start on half their songs and had all kinds of technical difficulties through the show. That's rock and roll. Matt Hollywood had already left the band due to Anton being an ass. I think it was around the time when Anton was at rock bottom, a couple years after the movie DIG was released. Saw them in D-town again a year or two ago (with the sober Anton, and Matt Hollywood back in the lineup) and they sounded great.

A few of my favorite BJM tracks from the years. Apologies if I posted these before somewhere in the archives of this thread...

Malela / Salaam

If Love is the Drug, Then I Want to OD.

And the sexy classic Anenome

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 am

Speaking of amazing live shows...

If you walk away from a Flogging Molly show anything less than piss-drunk with a giant smile on your face and a love for the Irish, well, there be something wrong with ye.

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

PreviousNext