What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Kiefer »

Drood. By Dan Simmons. It's kind of like a cross
between Charles Dickens and Edgar Allen Poe.
It had be hooked by page 10.

Into Thin Air. Of course, the classic.
But first time for me.

Outdoor Leadership. A bit on the dry side (but NO WHERE near
as bad as SkaredShtles has it)
, but has
some good insights and suggestions.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Kiefer wrote:
Drood. By Dan Simmons. It's kind of like a cross
between Charles Dickens and Edgar Allen Poe.
It had be hooked by page 10.
I wish I could say that book wasn't an immense disappointment in the end. It just went....nowhere. I'm in the middle or reading Hyperion again. I have such a love/hate with Dan Simmons. The Hyperion books, Ilium/Olympos, Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night are all awesome. Drood, The Terror, and Black Hills were just painful.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Jon Frohlich wrote: I wish I could say that book wasn't an immense disappointment in the end. It just went....nowhere. I'm in the middle or reading Hyperion again. I have such a love/hate with Dan Simmons. The Hyperion books, Ilium/Olympos, Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night are all awesome. Drood, The Terror, and Black Hills were just painful.
You know, I'm on page 453 and I have to agree. I have no idea where the story is now going.
It seems it's just rambling. I'll brace myself for the ending. #-o
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Doug Shaw wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:NetBackup technical documentation. :wft:
I'm so sorry.
Everyone should be... ](*,)
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I just re-read INTO THIN AIR this weekend since Neil Beidleman came to where I work a few months ago to give a talk and it was amazing to see the story through his eyes.

I saw the book sitting on the shelf and was feeling lousy this weekend, so I wasn't going outside anyway. I read it years ago, but seeing Neil's presentation gave the book another dimension to me.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Pulitzer winner. 800 pages of New Yorkers feeling sorry for themselves. They need to climb a mountain.
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. Five sisters kill themselves, and teen neighbors try to figure out why. Not as good as Middlesex, but still a fun read.
The Dinner by Herman Koch. Would you cover up a crime for a despicable teenage son?
Fight Club by Chuck Palanuik. Interesting for first 50 pages, monotonous after that. Macho overdose with a stupid ending. What's up with the cult status of this story? Maybe the movie is better than the book.
Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Middle-age concierge befriends precocious tweener girl in rich Paris apartment building. Best book on this list.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Oman wrote:Fight Club by Chuck Palanuik. Interesting for first 50 pages, monotonous after that. Macho overdose with a stupid ending. What's up with the cult status of this story? Maybe the movie is better than the book.
I like Chuck's books, but in this case the movie is definitely better than the book. I found the book rather meh after seeing the film.
hikingmtn
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

Just finished Art Davidson's Minus 148° and about to dig into Steve House's Beyond the Mountain. I really enjoyed Minus 148° and would recommend it to almost anyone. I'm not really sure what to expect out of the Steve House book yet, but we'll see.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

Oman wrote:The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Pulitzer winner. 800 pages of New Yorkers feeling sorry for themselves. They need to climb a mountain.
Agreed. I also agree with this review as it applies to Top-10 books in general today: While a certain amount of hype has been bought and paid for, the rapturous reviews of this book leave me wondering how intellectually bankrupt this country must be to find this work brilliant. A perfect example is the recent bestseller Bonfire of the Vanities. Ugh! What a shallow, manipulative book that left me feeling sick to my stomach, like I'd just been suckered.

I almost never read fiction, especially today. What has happened in real life (non-fiction) is almost always more interesting than some made-up story.

Currently reading Eisenhower at War 1943-1945. An account of a gifted leader under tremendous pressure.

http://www.amazon.com/Eisenhower-at-War ... +1943-1945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

A couple of books I've recently finished that I really enjoyed are:

Raynor. One Moment, One Morning
Braver. Crows Over Wheatfields

Other fairly good ones include:

Morton. The Forgotten Garden
Picoult. Change of Heart
Brashares. The Last Summer (of You and Me)
dereks95
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dereks95 »

I recently got on a kick trying to learn a little more about local history and the namesakes of our mountains.

Citizen Explorer is a great book about the Life of Zebulon Pike.

Currently reading The Heart of Everything That Is which is the story of Chief Red Cloud. I can't put it down.

I need to find a good book about the Utes so I can learn more about Antero and Shavano. Any thoughts?
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

[quote="mountaingoat-G"]I just re-read INTO THIN AIR this weekend since Neil Beidleman came to where I work a few months ago to give a talk and it was amazing to see the story through his eyes.

Along the same lines I just started Goran Kropp's Ultimate High from his 96 solo of Everest after biking from Sweden to Nepal.