What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by jmanner »

Heinrich Harrer's The White Spider and

Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis as Commander in Chief by James M. McPherson
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Astoria by Peter Stark. Not exactly a climbing book, but the story of the second expedition that followed after Lewis and Clark. Anyone who enjoys historical non fiction and appreciates survival in the wilderness would enjoy this book.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

I just finished reading a couple of very interesting books:

Wier. The Martian - a very fascinating novel about space exploration. Can't wait to see this as a movie later this year.

and:

Wickenden. Nothing Daunted - an excellent true-life documentary about two high society NY women who come out to northwestern CO to teach school to homesteaders in the early 1900's. Scott Patterson, you may find this especially interesting as it is set close to your hometown of Craig.
ParanoidJoe
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ParanoidJoe »

Calculus (10th edition) by Ron Larson...

*grumbles loudly and waits for summer*
Fr3ako
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Fr3ako »

"Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize in Economics

How the dual systems of your brain impact your logic and your perception of reality, fascinating....
Last edited by Fr3ako on Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who needs a thermometer? That’s what my nipples are for. -- Kintz
There are two rules to success in life. 1) Never tell everything you know. -- Roger H. Lincoln
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

After the Nepal earthquake, I just finished re-reading Buried in the Sky. It is about the 2008 deaths on K2, but the first 4 chapters includes great information about the history of the region and culture, such as Sherpa vs other ethnic heritages, religion, family life, and even why so many Sherpa have the same names. Great read (besides being a super downer about the tragedy).
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
BlissSeeker84
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BlissSeeker84 »

The Last Season by Eric Blehm. Great book, especially if you have a fondness for Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP!
codydonahue
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by codydonahue »

Fr3ako wrote:"Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize in Economics

How the dual systems of your brain impact your logic and your perception of reality, fascinating....
This is a great read if you are thinking about putting it down. Well worth the read in the end!
phantomchameleon
14ers: 35  8 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phantomchameleon »

Halfway to Heaven by Mark Obmascik - written by a middle aged guy who decides to climb all the 14ers and write a book about his experience...great stories as well as a lot of history about many of the mountains which was really interesting.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

BlissSeeker84 wrote:The Last Season by Eric Blehm. Great book, especially if you have a fondness for Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP!
I just finished that book. Well written and kept you engaged throughout the entire book.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Just finished The Emerald Mile based on based on Mr. Jack's recommendation (though now see that it was recommended here earlier by Mr. Valliere and Mr. Davies; with the three of them that's about as close to a guarantee as you're going to get that it's going to be good).

I found the author's style to be a little over-flourished and a bit flowery when starting, but eventually got used to it and found the story compelling. It covers a lot of pertinent history of the Grand Canyon in a surprisingly enjoyable way for what is often a fairly dry and factual subject, but when it get to the goods about the flooding in '83 it's truly engrossing. I finished it - basically the entire story of the speed run - parked in an open space parking lot in a rain storm, just relaxing and reading the book for a couple of hours - though perhaps relaxing might not be the right word since I couldn't stop reading and was anxious, tense, and excited to read what was going to happen next.
Mrwaffles989
14ers: 19  11  4 
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Mrwaffles989 »

Man I wish I had time to read this thread.

Freedom Climbers has to be my all time favorite, I highly recommend it to everyone. So many intense quotes. Extremism at its finest.

Really liked parts of the White Spider, Touching the Void, Into Thin Air, Anatoli's rebuttal (can't think of title), eiger dreams - the devils thumb story, Ed Visteurs' book. I love Krakauer's writing, but I think he really screwed Anatoli over. Anatoli was a hero in my humble opinion.

Currently reading One Day as a Tiger by John Porter, its about Alex MacIntyre. Not bad so far.

http://www.climbing.com/climber/doctor- ... ing-books/

Last non climbing book was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which I enjoyed. Lolita before that; I can't understand whey this is a classic. Je'n se pas Humbert Humbert! I hardly read in the summer when I'm working. One day as a tiger will probably take me another month at least. After skiing in the winter is when I blow through books. I want to read Blind Descent. Kid in France said it was an unbelievable read. About caving or something I believe. My books to read list is almost as long as my To Climb list, almost.
Mrwaffles on Facebook

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for Godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches-that is the right and privilege of any free American." -Edward Abbey,