What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by susanjoypaul »

I got Mountain Heroes: Portraits of Adventure for Christmas, and am looking forward to reading it.

So far, I'm just enjoying all the great photos, like this classic shot of Fred Beckey:

nicholasblee
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nicholasblee »

DaveLanders wrote:M. John Fayhee (editor of the Mountain Gazette) wrote a book about hiking the
Colorado Trail. He's a good (and funny) writer. The book is about 20 years old, and may not be in
print anymore. I'm not sure of the title.
I'm assuming it's this one? Looks good.

Along the Colorado Trail
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

notallwhowander wrote:Does anyone know of a memoir of the Colorado Trail (which I'm planning on thru-hiking this summer)?
This book is the story of a family hiking the Continental Divide Trail, but includes a section on hiking the Colorado Trail.
http://www.amazon.com/Scraping-Heaven-F ... 0071373608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind of rough writing, but interesting if you're considering backpacking with toddlers.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

nicholasblee wrote:
DaveLanders wrote:M. John Fayhee (editor of the Mountain Gazette) wrote a book about hiking the
Colorado Trail. He's a good (and funny) writer. The book is about 20 years old, and may not be in

Along the Colorado Trail
Yes, that's the book. For some reason Fielder is listed as first author, even though
Fayhee wrote most or all of it. There are a lot of Fielder's photos though, which are always good.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

DaveLanders wrote:
nicholasblee wrote:

Along the Colorado Trail
Yes, that's the book. For some reason Fielder is listed as first author, even though
Fayhee wrote most or all of it. There are a lot of Fielder's photos though, which are always good.
+1
Nothing else has made me want to hike the CT more than that book.

I'm a big Fayhee fan. He published a book of his "Greatest Hits" from the Mountain Gazette which had a well written piece about how to describe one climbs/hikes/goes up fourteeners.
The only time I lower the bar is après
TomM
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TomM »

Recently read:

Across the Savage Sea - Maud Fontenoy
A Walk on the Wild Side - Nelson Algren
Black Beard America's Most Notorious Pirate - Angus Konstam
Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell

Currently reading:

Mao The Unknown Story - Jung Chang/Jon Halliday
Flips
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why - by Amanda Ripley

Was in the middle of this book last summer as the Waldo Canyon fire started. I observed many behaviors described in this book not only in myself but in people all around me.
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

Anyone read Four against the Arctic by David Roberts?

Any good?
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

The Music Lesson-A Spiritual Search For Growth Through Music
by Victor Wooten.

This is a great book for any musicians out there, music lovers, or anyone who might want to get to know who music is.
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Scuba Steve wrote:Anyone read Four against the Arctic by David Roberts?

Any good?
Yes, and yes. :) It's both an incredible survival story, and a great detective job by Roberts to figure out what happened.

I saw a new book by Roberts just yesterday: Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration, the story of Douglas Mawson surviving three weeks out alone in Antarctica in 1913. Looks like it has potential.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TomM
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TomM »

The Ordeal by Ice books by Farley Mowat are good reads if you are into early exploration.
Flips
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Jim Davies wrote:"The Signal and the Noise" by Nate Silver. Fascinating discussion of forecasting and prediction in various areas (weather, economics, elections, epidemics, sports). Not to spoil the plot, but it reinforced my impressions of weather forecasts (short-term forecasts have improved markedly in recent years, but anything over 8 days is worse than taking the averages for the date!). Also, economists are really, really bad at predicting the future, but usually don't care because of political bias.
+1 Thanks Jim. Based on your summary, I read this book. Excellent.
Unlike Andrew Hamilton, I’m not always hiking. Sometimes I’m sleeping.