What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by MtnHub »

I read this excellent book a couple of years ago:

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.

And I've just discovered a video that pairs nicely and may inspire you to read the book, if you haven't already.

Direct Link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/being-mortal/

Here is the summary from the PBS website, so you can determine your interest level:

FRONTLINE follows renowned New Yorker writer and Boston surgeon Atul Gawande as he explores the relationships doctors have with patients who are nearing the end of life. In conjunction with Gawande’s new book, Being Mortal, the film investigates the practice of caring for the dying, and shows how doctors — himself included — are often remarkably untrained, ill-suited and uncomfortable talking about chronic illness and death with their patients.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Putin's Labyrinth, subject there should be fairly obvious. Hellova guy, that one.

Also, What Went Wrong by Bernard Lewis, about how the once dominant Muslim world of the middle ages watched the West steadily eclipse the world of Islam in various capacities, right up to present day. Good, but I feel like Lewis could write volumes on any one of the angles he takes in the book, instead of the ~180 pages for the lot of them. But there is only so much time, I suppose.

p.s. I LOVE this thread! Keep 'em coming!
Last edited by druid2112 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

"The Blue and the Gray" by Thomas B Allen. A book about the Civil War.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Recently finished One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith and Richard Proenneke. Wish I had the skills to build a life in the wild.

About to shift to some heavy reading with The Complete Calvin and Hobbes. :-D
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timothy »

Psalms.

Trekking the Everest Region by Jamie McGuiness.
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎
Ulla
14ers: 37  17 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ulla »

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot.

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells—taken without her knowledge—became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first “immortal” human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they’d weigh more than 50 million metric tons—as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb’s effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.

Really good book - true story.

http://rebeccaskloot.com/
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Ulla wrote:"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot.
My wife is reading this right now and raves about it! I'll probably read it soon too. It's also recently been made into a movie.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Just started "The Magnificent Mountain Women : Adventures in the Colorado Rockies" Very inspirational to read about some of the OG bad-ass women in Colorado mountain history. I will strongly suggest this to anyone who is intrigued by climbing history in Colorado.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

When you think you know anything about something as apparently mundane as Crows, think again.

Crows and Ravens are smarter than quite a few people that I have worked with over the years.

In the Company of Crows and Ravens
91U3sP+V7BL.jpg
91U3sP+V7BL.jpg (645.27 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

I'm reading Gerry Roach's Transcendent Summits. I can't say enough about how good this book is.

Did you know he was kicked out of the Colorado Mountain Club in the 1950s for passing up the inept leader on a climb? That's right. For going ahead of (and inadvertently embarrassing) the leader, they kicked him out!
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of guidebooks about the sawtooth range and the surrounding crags of Boise, ID. It takes some research but this area is truly a diamond in the rough. I really think it has the potential to be a more promising place to learn “the craft” than Colorado.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

highpilgrim wrote:When you think you know anything about something as apparently mundane as Crows, think again.

Crows and Ravens are smarter than quite a few people that I have worked with over the years.

In the Company of Crows and Ravens
I recently heard about how crows can remember faces, from generation to generation, for good or bad - like it’s almost taught from generation to the next. Really interesting.