What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aweygandt
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by aweygandt »

Jim Davies wrote:I guess I should give this one another try. I got about halfway and couldn't finish it, since it was just re-reporting what was in the other four books I've read about this incident. It was interesting that the author was living in the park during the incident, although he was just a kid. I thought the two older books by the expedition's leaders ("In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Howard Snyder, and "White Winds" by Joe Wilcox) were an interesting point-counterpoint pair about what happened, although they might be hard to obtain at this late date. (spoiler alert: Snyder blames Wilcox, Wilcox blames freak weather.)
I haven't read any other books about the incident, and that probably made Denali's Howl better for me. Thanks for the recommendations. Hall mentions the point-counterpoint of the Snyder and Wicox accounts. You'll probably get bored with the second half of the book too--it continues to recount the facts without a ton of interpretation. Skip ahead and read the chapter "30 Years Later." That chapter does a quick analysis between the '67 storm and a smaller one in '97.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Two excellent novels I read recently are:

Giffin. Heart of the Matter

Landvik. View From Mount Joy

And for any advocates for capital punishment, required reading should include:

Stevenson. Just Mercy
Zmacchi
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zmacchi »

Definitely going to look into "Denali's Howl" given its all over this thread.

Recently finished "Born to Run" and currently reading John Muir's "My First Summer in the Sierra"
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Delorean_Man »

I'm currently reading "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains' By Isabella Bird. It is amazing the stuff she went through to try and climb Longs 5 years after its first summit!
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Delorean_Man wrote:I'm currently reading "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains' By Isabella Bird. It is amazing the stuff she went through to try and climb Longs 5 years after its first summit!
Thanks, that sounds interesting. Just scored a free Kindle download on Amazon in case anyone else is interested in reading it for free.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
pudgy
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pudgy »

I always look forward to this thread..I sit down with a legal pad and scribble down the titles and head of to our local library. I've read Denali's Howl, Near Death in the Mountains, The Tower, Exploration of the Colorado River and The White Spider. Many more to come and by that time it'll be summer again. All terrific reads..Thanks for "The List!!"
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I just started reading "Finding Everett Ruess" by David Roberts. It seams like no matter what book I read, turns me toward anouther. I Just finished "Into the wild" by Jon Krakauer, anouther great book about a vagabond.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
yrastorza
Trip Reports (4)

Post by yrastorza »

I'm in the middle of "The boys in the boat" and think its great.

Author takes us back to 1920-30 era. It is about the origins of crew (rowing) in our country and profiles the individuals lives of the coaches, boat builders, and athletes who come from the rough hewn pacific west and successfully compete against the ivy leagues and win a berth to the 1939 olympics in Berin and their quest for a gold medal against Hitler super-race and the rest of the world.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

I liked Boys in the Boat, too, but kept having the feeling that I was really reading Laura Hillenbrand (Unbroken and Seabiscuit). Turns out that Daniel James Brown was a big fan of Hillenbrand (who isn't?) and deliberately tried to write like her. Impressive! http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/magaz ... .html?_r=0

Others I read lately and liked:

Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan. Australian POWs on a gruesome and heroic trek to build a Burma jungle railroad for the Japanese.
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. As told by his daughter, a college professor raises his family as a psychology experiment.
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. Daughter of a biracial family in small-town Ohio in the 1970s has a terrible secret.
Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden. True story of the only man to have escaped a North Korean prison camp. Holy crap.
Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. Fictional account of a North Korean prison camp. Starts out like a Carl Hiaasen farce, but ends like Kafka. Oof.
Cookiehiker
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

I'm currently reading 'The Ledge' by Jim Davidson
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
Cookiehiker
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

Delorean_Man wrote:I'm currently reading "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains' By Isabella Bird. It is amazing the stuff she went through to try and climb Longs 5 years after its first summit!
During my recovery from my injury on Capitol Peak, I was able to listen to the audiotape of that book. It was pretty amazing what she went through.
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I just reread "The Smartest Guys in the Room", which is a very detailed account of Enron's hubris-infested rise and fall. It's really a fascinating story, albeit a disgusting one. I never fail to be amazed by how people flush their lives, and often families, down the toilet in the name of greed, drugs, and other enticements.
please rotate your device