What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Yikes »

“So Much for That,” Lionel Shriver
good novel for those of us experiencing our mid-life crisises

"The Passage" and "The Twelve", Justin Cronin
A vampire story that actually rocks. Suck it Twilight series
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Just finished a book by an author I've never heard of before. Discovered it in one of those Little Free Library public exchange things, but I found it to be an excellent read of fiction, very moving and insightful:

Leah Hager Cohen. The Grief of Others

Some more of my recent favorites are:

Rhodes. Driftless.
Dilloway. How to be an American Housewife
Dilloway. Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns
Inclan. Walking with Her Daughter
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I checked out "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills" from the American Alpine Club Library. So far it has been very educational!
my5sons
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by my5sons »

To The End of The Earth by Tom Avery " our epic journey to the North Pole" a very good read. =D>
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Just finished (very quickly) "Slaying the Badger", which is a riveting account of Greg LeMond's victory over Bernard Hinault in the 1986 Tour de France. It is a fascinating tale of competition, sports psychology, intrigue, and LeMond crapping himself in a particularly brutal bout of food poisoning in the midst of a stage.

Even if you aren't gonzo about cycling, this book is a very good read. Hinault was a great champion and a complex man--a real one of a kind. And LeMond should be recognized as the greatest American cyclist ever for what he did sans drugs and under enormous psychological pressure, bad luck (pay attention to what happens to me during each of his 2 individual time trials during the 1986 Tour), and ouvert resistance from the French. A great story all around.
please rotate your device
greenhorn1
14ers: 5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by greenhorn1 »

Hungry Jack wrote:Just finished (very quickly) "Slaying the Badger", which is a riveting account of Greg LeMond's victory over Bernard Hinault in the 1986 Tour de France. It is a fascinating tale of competition, sports psychology, intrigue, and LeMond crapping himself in a particularly brutal bout of food poisoning in the midst of a stage.

Even if you aren't gonzo about cycling, this book is a very good read. Hinault was a great champion and a complex man--a real one of a kind. And LeMond should be recognized as the greatest American cyclist ever for what he did sans drugs and under enormous psychological pressure, bad luck (pay attention to what happens to me during each of his 2 individual time trials during the 1986 Tour), and ouvert resistance from the French. A great story all around.
Sounds like a good one to check out. I've seen bikers crap their pants before in a race although I've never noticed it while watching the Tour de France on TV.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I just finished Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts. When I first spotted this on the shelf at the library, I assumed it was going to be a weak clone of "Wild", another in the growing "woman writes memoir of thru-hiking in California in the 90's" genre. Instead, I found myself liking it more than "Wild". Roberts' story is well-written, interesting, and not as full of self-pity as Strayed's best-seller. Much of the book is about her relationship with her two female partners, one a bit bossy, the other a hoping-to-recover bulimic. Interactions with others on the trail is a constant theme, especially the subtle competition the women seem to be always waging whenever a good-looking guy hangs around with them. Overall, a good, quick read about a youthful adventure with friends.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
njlinderer
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by njlinderer »

Perhaps this was already recommended but I just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon" by SC Gwynne. It's about the Comanche Indians and what happened when they met the westward expansion. Blew my mind how formidable the Comanche warriors on horseback were...true bad*sses. And some great under-told history as well.
--Rock Chalk Jayhawk--
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I'm reading Hiking Through: Finding Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail, by Paul V. Stutzman. Excellent book. The author's wife passed away from breast cancer. So he quit his job to "find himself" if you will, and hiked the entire trail, all 2,176 miles of it. I wonder how many 14er climbers are doing the same thing? Turns out I work with a guy who know's the author's dad. What a small world.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

Sorry, not climbing or mountain related, but I'm rereading "An Empire of Wealth" by John Steele Gordon. It's the history of the american economy. The book begins in the 1400's and ends in the late 1980's. Definitely puts the current economic and political atmosphere in excellent perspective.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

I'm reading this thread.

That's probably been said on this thread already but Don't care to look all the way back :P
klinger
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by klinger »