What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by JTOlson26 »

Not a book about mountains, but "Unbroken" is a great book. Decided I better read it before it comes out in theaters on Christmas day.

I think the element of survival resonates with anyone who considers themselves even a casual "mountaineer."

Other than that, I've been reading a lot of running books late. "Bowerman and the Men of Oregon" is one of my favorites. "Running with the Buffaloes" is another good read for any distance oriented person out there.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

"The Violinist's Thumb: and Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code," by Sam Kean. Wonderful!
alpinist
14ers: 32 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpinist »

I just finished reading "The Summit" by Eric Alexander. Eric, who lives in Vail, guided Erik Weihenmayer on several big climbing trips including the summit of Mount Everest. Next up is "Paths of Glory" by Jeffrey Archer. I have read this book before, but I look forward to turning pages in front of the fire, and reacquainting myself with the life story of Sir George Mallory.
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

great timing to bump this thread. just got back from the East coast and it seems I read more on planes than anytime else.

On the trip East, I finished Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Tremper. I learned that I don't yet have the skills, gear or confidence to go into avalanche terrain, which is a great lesson!

Started Halfway to Heaven by Obmascik and I"m about 3/4 through. Good stuff, and the references to 14ers.com and members whose posts I've read is kinda cool.
Insta: hokiehead
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 56 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Read dozens of others but am currently enjoying- The White Spider
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
flatlander51
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by flatlander51 »

Just finished Lost in Shangri La by Mitchell Zuckoff about a USAF plane crash in the wilds of New Guinea during WWII. And Measure of a Man by Martin Greenfield. Biography of a young boy that endured the Nazi concentration camps to become the tailor of the presidents. Both very inspiring books.
talamo71
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by talamo71 »

Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom"
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

Currently in the middle of God of Adventure: Exploring How God Teaches Through Adventure and Calls Us to do the Same by Bruce Dunning. I've been helping to take high school students into wilderness experiences the last few years, taking them backpacking last summer and on a moonlight snowshoe hike earlier this month. He has some good insights into taking adventure experiences and making them transformative experiences.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

All year I've been reading and rereading Under a Triumphant Sky. It's a story about a guy who biked across the USA -- his bike was stolen and he went through a lot of crazy stuff before achieving his dream. :)
smaller2.jpg
smaller2.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Okay, here's the thing. It's MY book. I wrote it and got it published two weeks ago. I know it's a shameless promotion, but I did answer the question. Ha ha. :) Buy it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Triumphant- ... 692302891/

Happy reading to all! This was the hardest thing I've ever accomplished in my life. THE. HARDEST. -Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
XMULE
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XMULE »

Recently read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. No need to rehash the narrative – unless you live under a rock you’re familiar with the epic saga of Louis Zamperini’s courage, resilience and forgiveness; one that puts the relatively insignificant trials and tribulations most of us face in everyday life in 21st century USA in perspective.

Am now 90% through Jonathan Swift: His Life and His World by Leo Damrosch, a fascinating and exhaustive (and exhausting!) account of Swift’s life & times. In some respects, it’s a cautionary tale for anyone aspiring to a career as a writer – even the author of the greatest satire in the English language was dependent on a meager “outside income” to make ends meet.

Next up? Dear White America: Letter to a New Minority by Tim Wise, the cover of which says it “addresses whites’ race-based delusions, advocating a path of national revival grounded in social unity and the embrace of our multicultural past, present and future.”

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to one and all!
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

ColoradoGuy wrote:All year I've been reading and rereading Under a Triumphant Sky. It's a story about a guy who biked across the USA -- his bike was stolen and he went through a lot of crazy stuff before achieving his dream. :)

Okay, here's the thing. It's MY book. I wrote it and got it published two weeks ago. I know it's a shameless promotion, but I did answer the question. Ha ha. :) Buy it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Triumphant- ... 692302891/

Happy reading to all! This was the hardest thing I've ever accomplished in my life. THE. HARDEST. -Steve
Congratulations on the ride, and on writing the book, too. Two awesome accomplishments!

I'm reading "Crime and Punishment." I haven't gotten to the crime yet. The suspense is killing me.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Deleted
Innapropriate comment.
Last edited by bonehead on Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.