Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost Creek Wilderness Loop?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness Loop?

Postby kenan » Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am

Does anyone have info on conditions of the Wigwam trail, from the Lost Park trailhead through East Lost Park, to Wigwam Park? I would expect this to be melted out by now, but this year who knows...

Postby Steve Gio » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 am

I am planning on this area as well for Memorial day weekend. Thanks for the info. I am deciding whether to do the lost creek loop again or maybe just go in the Wigwam trailhead on to the goose creek junction and beaver ponds, camp there and do a couple day hikes. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Think it will be dry. Have not been to that part yet.

Thanks.

Postby kenan » Thu May 20, 2010 10:37 am

FYI, I just called the South Park ranger district office and they said that the gates are still closed on CR56 (leading to the Lost Park TH from Jefferson) and they don't plan to open them until June 15th. So that rules out Lost Park TH! bummer

Postby traderaaron » Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 am

kenan wrote:FYI, I just called the South Park ranger district office and they said that the gates are still closed on CR56 (leading to the Lost Park TH from Jefferson) and they don't plan to open them until June 15th. So that rules out Lost Park TH! bummer

You can make a loop though using the Rolling Creek Trail, Wigwam Trail and Colorado Trail or access the Lost Park loop using the Wigwam trail.

I may do either of those if they keep the gates closed, should cut down on traffic.

Postby tlerunner » Sun May 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I did the CO Trail, Brookside-McCurdy Trail, Wigwam Trail, Rolling Creek trail on 5/22/10. There was quite a bit of snow above 9000', more than I have seen in years this late in the season. Attached are some pictures. By the way, there were cars parked at the Lost Park Campground so the gate must be open.
DSC00420 a.JPG
DSC00420 a.JPG (109.46 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
DSC00414 c.JPG
DSC00414 c.JPG (152.78 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

Postby kenan » Mon May 24, 2010 8:54 am

tlerunner wrote:I did the CO Trail, Brookside-McCurdy Trail, Wigwam Trail, Rolling Creek trail on 5/22/10. There was quite a bit of snow above 9000', more than I have seen in years this late in the season. Attached are some pictures. By the way, there were cars parked at the Lost Park Campground so the gate must be open.

Yeah actually I had a voicemail this morning from a different South Park ranger that said the gate on 56 is indeed open (and Lost Park Campground is accessible). So I guess the first guy was wrong. Oh well, we still had a good weekend. Went up the Goose Creek trail a few miles in and camped a bit off trail.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Mon May 24, 2010 11:07 am

ezsuperkev wrote:Is most of LCW hikable without snowshoes by the 1st week of June ?

Just stuff under treeline.

I would say it most likely is already. Definitely by then. I've climbed McCurdy over Memorial Day and we didn't need the snowshoes at all.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the photos tlerunner. We are still debating on what to do this weekend I guess. Plan 1 was to do Lost Creek loop,. goose greek trail, Mcurdy pass, Lake park, etc.. Seems that is pretty snowy still on the high side. Plan 2 was Wigwam trail but from these pics it seems pretty snowy as well.

Does anyone have alternate suggestions for a backpacking trip this weekend?

Postby tlerunner » Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm

The south side of the wilderness will melt out much faster than the north side. Especially Ben Tyler and Payne Gulch which will hold snow much longer in the trees.

Postby Steve Gio » Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

Thought I'd bump this one up. I haven't made a plan for the weekend yet but from the previous posts doing the Lost Creek Loop will have too much snow for backpacking. Does anyone have new info to add on this?

Postby climbing_rob » Thu May 27, 2010 10:55 am

I did a loop hike in the northern part of the LCW last weekend, climbed N. Tarryall and Topaz. this is an off-trail hike in the trees on the way out, along a road on the way back. For most of the climb I was able to dodge the piles of snow, finally got tired of dodging it when I got higher (above 11K) and simply put on my snowshoes and walked a straight line to the 1st summit. Same drill for the 2nd climb (Topaz). I was glad to have snowshoes as they made it easier.

That being said, a week later might make all the difference in the world. I would bet that if you came in from the south, like Spruce Grove, Ute Creek or Twin Eagles trailheads, you could do a nice on-trail loop without too many snow issues. I might suggest a Bison then McCurdy climb/loop hike, most of that is well exposed to the south and should be nice. Lake Park has some great camping spots. Plenty of piles of snow around to get your water from.

Postby swoodyut » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Did any of you make it up there this weekend? I'm trying to make a date w/ Bison's for this weekend, although a short overnighter may be on the agenda as well.

PreviousNext