Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost Creek Wilderness Loop?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness Loop?

Postby Corndiggs » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 pm

I Climbed Bison via the Ute Trail on Saturday 5/29. There is virtually no snow to deal with the entire way. There are some snowfields on the summit plateau that can be avoided with some easy routefinding; its an enchanting place, enjoy!
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado born. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential

Postby tlerunner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm

I went up the Brookside McCurdy trail to McCurdy Mountain via McCurdy Park (who was McCurdy anyways?) on Monday, 5/31/2010. Anyways, there was very little snow, just a few patches after passing through McCurdy Park. What an awesome place. Found a mini arch just west of the McCurdy summit block, was about 2' in diameter. Also, the mosquitoes have hatched.

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:59 pm

tlerunner wrote:Also, the mosquitoes have hatched.

Thanks for the info...I am spending a couple nights in the LCW next weekend and didn't even think about that....guess I'll have to add spray to the pack list.

swoodyut wrote:I'm trying to make a date w/ Bison's for this weekend, although a short overnighter may be on the agenda as well.

Not sure if by Bison's you mean Bison and McCurdy, but my plan is to be arriving and camping in McCurdy Park around sunday afternoon. Sounds like the LCW is pretty active this year compared to the same time last year! Great area...

--Derek
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Corndiggs » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:31 am

LCW does seem pretty active this year! On our way up Bison we saw nobody but on the way down I'd say there was 30-40 people coming up the Ute Trail.

At least we had some solitude when we were on the summit plateau.
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado born. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 am

Corndiggs wrote:I Climbed Bison via the Ute Trail on Saturday 5/29. There is virtually no snow to deal with the entire way. There are some snowfields on the summit plateau that can be avoided with some easy routefinding; its an enchanting place, enjoy!

Thanks. That one's on my summer list, and I'll be heading there soon. Hoppy trails!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 am

Bison and McCurdy are great little peaks and fun hikes, but there is sooooo much more stuff in the LCW to enjoy, and you will virtually guaranteed of solitude if you venture away from the two most popular climbs.

Tarryall Peak (above Lake Park) and nearby Catamount are two of my favorites. Catamount has a register on top that dates back to 1983 and has maybe 30 names on it (many repeats from CO's best).

Lake Park Peak is another good one. Consider getting a hold of a copy of the Roach LCW book!

Then there are the Twin Eagles formation... Tricky to find, easy class 2+ up one of them, a bit trickier up the other.

Point 11,180: Maybe the best of the bunch for pure fun, solitude and beauty.

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Point 11,180: Maybe the best of the bunch for pure fun, solitude and beauty.

I'm headed there Monday. :wink: Have you been up 11,328'? I'm also aiming for that one probably on Sunday...I've heard good things about it, I guess we'll see!

--Derek

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Derek wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Point 11,180: Maybe the best of the bunch for pure fun, solitude and beauty.

I'm headed there Monday. :wink: Have you been up 11,328'? I'm also aiming for that one probably on Sunday...I've heard good things about it, I guess we'll see!

--Derek
11,328 sure sounds familiar... is that one in McCurdy park? Dwight, did we climb 11,328?
Which brings to mind McCurdy Park tower itself, nice!

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:59 pm

climbing_rob wrote:11,328 sure sounds familiar... is that one in McCurdy park?

11328 is about 1 mile east from McCurdy Park, off any trail by quite a ways..

Previous