self arrest practice area recommendation

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coloradomojo
Trip Reports (0)

self arrest practice area recommendation

Post by coloradomojo »

Hi I'm looking to take a group (~15) out to practice basic snow climbing, self arrest, and glissading in late April for a Colorado Mountain Club class. Also looking for an introductory level coulior to take them on.

Our usual go-to spot of Glen Cove on Pikes Peak is really hurting for snow.

Wonder if anyone has a recommendation on a location with decent snow and stable slope based on recent experience. The Front range is desireable and given the group size, a shorter approach would be good.

Appreciate your suggestions in this La Nina snow year.

-Joe Carberry
Colorado Springs
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Re: self arrest practice area recommendation

Post by BobbyFinn »

Saint Mary's Glacier might work for you. Though it may not work as "an introductory level coulior."

How "introductory" are you looking for? The gully coming off of Engelmann Peak into the Ruby Creek drainage might work for you. It's maybe 20 mins from the parking area. There are 2 pics attached. It starts fairly mellow and gets steeper as it goes. It never gets real steep, though. We got by on snowshoes the entire way up this past weekend, but it was on the edge of our comfort level for steepness in snowshoes. It would likely make good crampon practice for beginners.

How about the Angel of Shavano?

Good luck!
P1030087.JPG
P1030087.JPG (260.36 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (285.45 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

Up on Independence Pass there are some small snowfields to the north as you head toward Twilight Peak that I've used to practice, short walk, just pick one that has decent runout, some have grassy patches at the bottom, and not too rocky. You can see this snow from the parking lot, it stays into August most years - :idea:
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Svenski Norski » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:49 am
Up on Independence Pass there are some small snowfields to the north as you head toward Twilight Peak that I've used to practice, short walk, just pick one that has decent runout, some have grassy patches at the bottom, and not too rocky. You can see this snow from the parking lot, it stays into August most years - :idea:
As the OP had a timeframe of "late April", this will not work. Independence Pass never opens that early. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Andrews Glacier in RMNP is a good place. It is where I learned how to use my ice axe.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

The road to Kite Lake has been plowed this year so it would give you some easy access to decent snowfields with safe runout.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

A friend of mine was up at Kite Lake today. Here's what it looks like:

I'd say about perfect conditions for teaching as long as you're there early before it softens too much. Plenty of snow for sliding and huge run out.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
coloradomojo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coloradomojo »

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Since the field sessions we are teaching aren't for two more weeks, I'd appreciate any additional Beta or suggestions. - Joe
dubv1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dubv1 »

Does anyone have any suggestions for practicing snow skills (self-arrest) in December around RMNP?

Thanks
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

There's so little snowpack, that practicing in most places in RMNP would be unwise. The perennial snow patches are most likely bulletproof ice. Everything else isn't very consolidated.
dubv1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dubv1 »

Got it. Thank you.