Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Dex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby ameristrat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Well that's depressing. I was looking at the one for Colorado as a whole, not Arkansas River Basin. Statewide, we're at 91% of last year. Youre right though, a lot of the snow has fallen in the San Juans.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby George James » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm

randalmartin wrote:Where is the SNOW!!!

WHOOMP there it is

Preskidents Day.jpg
Preskidents Day.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 467 times
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby PaliKona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm

wow, I thought we had made up a lot of ground in the past month and had passed last year ](*,) :(

Postby Dex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:10 pm

ameristrat wrote:Well that's depressing. I was looking at the one for Colorado as a whole, not Arkansas River Basin. Statewide, we're at 91% of last year. Youre right though, a lot of the snow has fallen in the San Juans.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/swehilostate13.gif

Looks like 68% of average statewide. Last year was a below average year. I think we got spoiled by 2011.

Select area here.
http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow/watershed/current/daily/maps_graphs/swe_hilo.html
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby klinger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Postby ap snow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:01 pm

A couple areas are doing ok... I was able to send this a couple days ago. Sunday should be really good!
DSC_0572 copy.jpg
DSC_0572 copy.jpg (193.3 KiB) Viewed 336 times

Postby George James » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm

YES! :-D
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby PaliKona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm

That is sweeeet! Where is that? Vail Pass?

Postby livetothemax96 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Snow's coming! Here's a bit from Berthoud this last Sunday,still a little bit thin in spots, but it's getting there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5XqEPgy98
whats life unless you live it?

Postby Carl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 pm

^^^ Nice video. That's a fun cliff at 1:00 and doesn't see too much traffic. Where you go next is one of my favorites. Can be tough to end up on the line you spotted from the road until you know the area better.

Postby JTOlson26 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:24 am

What kind of snowfall totals has everyone received so far? A friend who teaches at Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs said they had school called off last night and I saw where Widefield had a good 6-8 inches.

PreviousNext