Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm

ajkagy wrote:at this point recreation is the last thing i'm worried about.

Ya I hear you. I'm kind of big on envirnoment and all that good stuff so it makes me sad also.

Its a fine line we humans play, drive out to the mountains we love and hurt the environment or don't do that. I try to find a balance in my life, very little if any driving throughout the week. All about the bike.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby ajkagy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Oman wrote:Right now this winter's snowpack is about half of last winter's. Remember, though, that last winter started out with a few big storms and then went dry through December and January. No big early storms this year. I'm still riding a mountain bike on south-facing trails up to 9,500 feet. Ugh.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html;jsessionid=rS1Y6k9EossMnm057v3a2-QQ?report=Colorado&format=SNOTEL+Snowpack+Comparison+Update+Report

ouch, that is in snow water equivalent inches and many of those locations are several inches behind. In other words multiple feet of snow behind.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm

I bet the Calender Winter folks are growing a pretty large chubby at this point.

Postby Kevin Baker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:20 pm

lordhelmut wrote:I bet the Calender Winter folks are growing a pretty large chubby at this point.

Haha! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a dry Dec!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm

I am trying to look on the bright side. Best case scenario at this point, IMO, is that it stays dry well into January, and then dumps continuously until the end of May. That would keep the temperature gradient low enough to promote a more stable than normal snow pack. The early season snows are a welcome sight, but usually end up being the instability culprit until late March. Heck, maybe we will get to ski 45 degree couloirs in Feb this year, how often can you safely do that here.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Sometimes you have to just get what you can and when you can get it - regardless of timing, time of year or whatever. In 2002 the Denver locals held out the possibility (hope?) that a dry winter would welcome a wet late winter and spring, with rain showers well into June. That never happened. What we got was Snaking, Million, Hayman, Missionary Ridge and a whole bunch of other conflagrations I can't remember.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby dsunwall » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:I bet the Calender Winter folks are growing a pretty large chubby at this point.

I'm hoping for 10 feet of snow by Christmas so we don't have to continue this discussion.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

dsunwall wrote:
I'm hoping for 10 feet of snow by Christmas so we don't have to continue this discussion.

Much credit for truth wrapped in good humor. It would make me believe in Santa for sure.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm

dsunwall wrote:
Kevin Baker wrote:

Come on, you guys know Nolan's Rule. :lol:

We'll get the snow, for sure.

But not till around December 20 or so.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Wait till we get another snow like the one in December of 2006. Then all bets are off. 4 weeks from now everything could look very different. :-D
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Wait till we get another snow like the one in December of 2006. Then all bets are off. 4 weeks from now everything could look very different.

December 2006 was a terrible (as in dry) snow month in most of the mountains. The snows hit Denver, but the mountains were very dry. There was more snow in late December in Denver than there was on the highest peaks.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Bean 2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Come on, you guys know Nolan's Rule. :lol:

We'll get the snow, for sure.

But not till around December 20 or so.

I feel a "judge" of sorts needs to be elected if another dry, mellow winter is in order. That, or asterisks next to people's winter ascents when its sunny and 40 out and no snow on the ground. No more repeats of the 2011-12 calender winter dick waiving contest, please.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/

PreviousNext