Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby klinger » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 am

I have taken all the charts and simplified them.

As you can see this is an accurate long range forecast for the next 2 winters, and things are looking great!

sources include: polar bears, foxnews, treehuggers, and a hermit on the sun

Postby speth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 am

I wanted to contribute to the conversation, but I forgot my f***ing graph :(
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby Dex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:37 am

Oman wrote:Hey Geojed:

Can we agree that Dex's chart is a little crazy? For starters, we should be skeptical of any allegedly math-based chart that has no figures in the y axis. That chart also appears to be claiming some kind of accurate annual temperature measurement all the way back to 2500 BC. Hmmm. I feel better going with NASA data than a chart assembled by two guys in Coeur d'Alene, ID.

As for the chart you put up, it's not from a UK government office but a conservative London tabloid. The chart, and its accompanying newspaper story, was denounced as misleading by the UK agency that had gathered the original weather data. It's good to be skeptical of government data, but wrong to cherry-pick it in a way that discards stuff that doesn't fit an ideological argument. That UK agency says eight of the warmest years on record have come in the past 10 years.

I think we can agree that if one person does not understand a chart, it does not mean the chart is wrong and that more data and data points are better then less.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:42 am

Dex wrote:
I think we can agree that if one person does not understand a chart, it does not mean the chart is wrong and that more data and data points are better then less.

Amen Dex.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:46 am

George James wrote:
1adamadkins wrote:We will still have occasional blizzards, but consistent snow and precip will be out the window.

:-k Gosh, Crestone Needle may never be in from the summit ever again...

Oh, it better be
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby adkinsadam1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:28 am

First let me say the climate is not "changing" everywhere the same... Colorado is affected by climate change more than any other state in the US actually.

Secondly, "Hurricane Sandy's damages of perhaps $50 billion will be overshadowed by the huge costs of the great drought of 2012. We should not assume that the 21st century global civilization is immune from collapse due to drought. As we continue on our current path, the hotter planet that exists will surely spawn droughts far more intense than any seen in recorded history, severely testing the ability of our highly interconnected global economy to cope. The coming great drought disasters will occur at a time when climate change is simultaneously creating record rainfall and flooding in areas that happen to be in the way of storms. Global warming puts more heat energy into the atmosphere. That means more more water will evaporate from the oceans to create heavier rains and make storms stronger, and there will be more heat energy to increase the intensity of heat waves and droughts. It all depends upon if you happen to lie on the prevailing storm track or not which extreme you'll experience." And as the storm track is more north we will experience HEAT and DROUGHT as has been the case for over a decade. "In the future, if you're not being cooked in a record drought, you're going to be washed away in a record flood, or buried under feet of snow. Just ask the residents of the Midwest. In 2011, residents of the Midwest endured the largest floods on record on their three great rivers--the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio. In 2012, the same region endured their worst drought since 1954, and a top-ten warmest summer."

And finally, over the past few years, daily record high temperatures have been outpacing daily record lows by 7-to-1 on average, according to the website Climate Central. A 2009 study found that if the climate were not warming, that ratio would be expected to be even. Keeping the same trend so far this year, there have been 40,113 high temperature records set or tied, compared with just 5,835 cold records, a ratio of about 7-to-1.

Why is there no snow? Because we are in a serious drought! You remember how hot and dry it was in April, May, June? There was extremely little snowpack in the mountains. We are just continuing that pattern now.

Postby ameristrat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 am

It gets colder at night, so does that mean global warming only happens during the day???!?!???!?!?!?!?
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 am

adkinsadam1 wrote: And as the storm track is more north we will experience HEAT and DROUGHT as has been the case for over a decade. -1.

Why is there no snow? Because we are in a serious drought! You remember how hot and dry it was in April, May, June? There was extremely little snowpack in the mountains. We are just continuing that pattern now.

Who are you quoting? Someone on the NOAA site? Are the predictions/analysis that are not in quotes your own personal thoughts?

Postby adkinsadam1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, the thoughts in quotes are direct quotes from Dr. Jeff Masters. The 7 to 1 thing below is me paraphrasing an article (I'm sorry I can't remember the link), and everything else are my own personal thoughts! Except the Colorado climate change at the very beginning - I saw a NOAA map of the nation showing how each state was affected by climate change, and Colorado is warming more than any other state.

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
George James wrote: :-k Gosh, Crestone Needle may never be in from the summit ever again...

Oh, it better be

It will be in again from the top. And when the dozens of migrant shovelers I hire get done it will give a whole new meaning to WROD.

Postby ak47 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 am

Anyone wanna go hit mt baker this weekend?

Postby George James » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Carl wrote:It will be in again from the top. And when the dozens of migrant shovelers I hire get done it will give a whole new meaning to WROD.

:lol: My migrant shoveler services are ready to be enlisted. Just haul my skis up for me and we'll call it even.

All these graphs/charts/mappy maps sure are scary though. The migrants might need to carry packs full of snow up there to get the job done...or maybe borrow a snow gun from Loveland and trail a hose up from Cottonwood Lake?

Srsly tho, I fear for the future of hot tubs on summits.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

PreviousNext