Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado Trail - 80 miles added

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Colorado Trail - 80 miles added

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Dex wrote:There is talk in Ga about extending the Appalachian trail to the Gulf along the Chattahoochee River.

I've heard that for years -- also on the northern end, extending it into Canada. I seriously doubt the official AT will ever be anything other than Springer-to-Kathadin, though.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Doctor No » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:38 pm

geojed wrote:
Doctor No wrote:It's apparently the CDT (according to a comment on that same Facebook thread) - although I can't find a good detailed map of that online.

Here's a zoomable map of the CDT in Colorado created from a GPX.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,203132380232741494958.0004ce78697eea713e6e1

Very nice - thanks!

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Wife Carol reminds me that the Continental Divide Trail Alliance disbanded last January, and parts of the trail are being adopted by various organizations including the Colorado Trail Foundation. This is just a logical outgrowth of that process, I guess.
http://www.hcn.org/issues/44.13/the-continental-divide-trail-gains-new-protectors
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Vincopotamus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Wife Carol reminds me that the Continental Divide Trail Alliance disbanded last January, and parts of the trail are being adopted by various organizations including the Colorado Trail Foundation. This is just a logical outgrowth of that process, I guess.
http://www.hcn.org/issues/44.13/the-continental-divide-trail-gains-new-protectors

Fortunately a new group called the Continental Divide Trail Coalition was formed to try and fill the niche left open when the CDTA dissolved. I think they are still fledgling, but hopefully they'll hit the ground running next summer.

http://www.continentaldividetrail.org/about-cdtc/
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:13 am

so can the new 80 miles be biked?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby geojed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:25 am

ajkagy wrote:so can the new 80 miles be biked?

Not sure, but at least part of this 80mi section of the CDT passes through Wilderness between the Winfield 4WD TH and the Timberline Trail west of Lake Ann Pass.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby gb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:22 pm

ajkagy wrote:so can the new 80 miles be biked?

You "should" be able to ride the first section from Twin Lakes to the Wilderness boundary, plus the larger segment from Cottonwood Pass to the junction with Fooses. Much of the existing CDT is already there and rideable- one ride I meant to get on this past summer that DaveMo from Rock'N'Roll calls his favorite is Tunnel Lakes. Looks like fun high alpine riding.

Down around North Cochetopa Pass, 25 miles or so of road might soon be replaced with 30ish miles of singletrack as well, for both the CT and CDT. This would be sweet, since those miles were my least favorite miles of the CT (I rode all but a handful of miles of the CT last summer). Unfortunately, the FS is currently favoring an alternative which would make those miles forbidden to bicycles, despite not being in Wilderness- the only non-Wilderness miles of the CT which wouldn't be legal to ride. We have until November 26 to make comments on this plan- supporters of bicycles should voice their support of alternative 3. Click HERE for more info and the email address.

Postby hotrod » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:49 am

In 1989 I backpacked a 60 mile section of the Colorado Trail, part of which went over Hope Pass at that time. Then they rerouted that section. Ironic that Hope Pass is now back as part of the Colorado Trail!
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby dehrlich101 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:52 pm

LynnKH wrote:
dehrlich101 wrote:
They are also trying to win $20,000 from Colorado Native Lager. Help support the CT by "liking" the page and then press vote, and select the button BELOW their logo.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoNativeLager

That's awesome that there's a new section of the trail that creates a loop. Can't wait to check it out and thanks for the great work you do.

But I gotta throw this out there: Alternatively, you could vote for Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center! We take care of about 2,400 sick, injured, and orphaned wild animals each year and the $20,000 would go a really long way towards buying formula and other basic supplies for our animals, like for this orphaned baby fox. All of our animals go back into the wild as soon as they are ready.

Animals v. Trails - I know, it is a tough choice!

In case anyone was wondering. All the non-profits decided to split the 20k up so everyone got something. Colorado Open Lands - $8000, The Colorado Trail Foundation - $6000, Greenwood Wildlife Rehab Center - $4000, and Friends of the Dillion Ranger District - $2,000.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby jaymz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Is there any info on whether or not CMC is going to be updating their guidebook to include this section?

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 pm

jaymz wrote:Is there any info on whether or not CMC is going to be updating their guidebook to include this section?

In the Co Trail Foundation news letter they said a new map book from Brown will be available soon as well as a new data book in early 2013. Revisions to the latest edition of the offical guidebook, published last year, is some time off.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Previous