Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:39 pm
Location: Fremont County, CO

WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby MUni Rider » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:27 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby YooperJonKornely » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:40 pm

I just got an email from the DOW that talks about this as well. Yeah, it really pisses me off too that anyone could do this... I hope they find who this is.

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby MonGoose » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 pm

This goes a little beyond poaching. To kill an animal needlessly just for sake of watching it die and leaving it to rot is despicable.

User avatar
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Breckenridge,Co

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby SKIBREC » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

hope who ever would do that doesnt wake up from there sleep tonight
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:10 pm
Location: Monument, Co.

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby My-Therapy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm



Agreed, pisses me off also! I always hope to be lucky enough to see one of these beautiful creatures out during my hikes and some piece of S*** shoots 3 of them. :evil:

User avatar
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Crested Butte, CO

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 pm

wow this sucks. I still don't get the motive? They just shot the 3 moose just to shoot them? wtf?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

User avatar
Posts: 2675
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:41 pm

When the DOW catches these poorly endowed men who drive large trucks, they will be fined heavily.
DOW caught two separate parties that illegally shot bears this fall in Garfield and Pitkin Counties. Big fines. Loss of hunting licenses, seizure of weapons.
These guys are screwed, but not by women.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

User avatar
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: west metro suburbs

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby mountaingoat-G » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 am

that still seems like they got off easy.

How the heck will DOW or any other agency catch these people with nothing to go on?

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm

hopefully the idiot brags about it at the bar (back to the "poorly endowed" concept) to the wrong person or someone overhears. Sounds like they have vehicle description and some evidence (maybe with fingerprints???) that could ID the person. Let's hope!

Of course, this could be an example of mis-reporting. Remember the Duke lacrosse players that raped a stripper? Then it turns out they DIDN'T rape the stripper? Maybe there is a reasonable explanation. let's hope for that too.

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:hopefully the idiot brags about it at the bar (back to the "poorly endowed" concept) to the wrong person or someone overhears. Sounds like they have vehicle description and some evidence (maybe with fingerprints???) that could ID the person. Let's hope!

Of course, this could be an example of mis-reporting. Remember the Duke lacrosse players that raped a stripper? Then it turns out they DIDN'T rape the stripper? Maybe there is a reasonable explanation. let's hope for that too.


DA Mike Nifong doesn't reside in Grand Lake and these moose are actually dead, not some black stripper who cried wolf.

I'd guess its drunk rednecks, but it was 8 in the morning, then again, more shocking things have occurred. Just doesn't make sense the calf was left to die. The only "reasonable explanation" I can think of was this suspect was charged by cow, happened to be armed, peppered his peripheral vision with whatever he had loaded, got in his vehicle and sped off. Thats about it though.

User avatar
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Crested Butte, CO

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby ajkagy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

lordhelmut wrote:The only "reasonable explanation" I can think of was this suspect was charged by cow, happened to be armed, peppered his peripheral vision with whatever he had loaded, got in his vehicle and sped off. Thats about it though.


good point, never thought of that. you would have thought he would notify the DNR about being charged by the cow if that was the case, then again he killed 3 of them and not 1. To kill all 3 or at least shoot all 3 had to have meant he had to have been aiming for all 3. Whatever happened, if it were sinister intentions I imagine they'll be bragging about it while drunk in some bar and they'll be caught (hopefully).
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Re: WTF? Moose poacher at Grand Lake

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:51 pm

ajkagy wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:The only "reasonable explanation" I can think of was this suspect was charged by cow, happened to be armed, peppered his peripheral vision with whatever he had loaded, got in his vehicle and sped off. Thats about it though.


good point, never thought of that. you would have thought he would notify the DNR about being charged by the cow if that was the case, then again he killed 3 of them and not 1. To kill all 3 or at least shoot all 3 had to have meant he had to have been aiming for all 3. Whatever happened, if it were sinister intentions I imagine they'll be bragging about it while drunk in some bar and they'll be caught (hopefully).


Yeah, its a total long shot. Who carries a gun around in a rural sub division parking lot? Or has it readily available in time to hit all 3 moose, 2 of which were probably not threatening at all. Unless he had an automatic rifle.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ulvetano and 8 guests