Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bond, CO???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Bond, CO???

Postby Two Headed Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:28 pm

I work for Union Pacific and I have a opportunity to move to Bond, Colorado and maintain the signals from there to Glenwood Springs. I would be supplied a home and make pretty good wages. I lived in Colorado 34 of the 40 years I have been alive and would love to get back there. I like the geographic location and was just wondering if anyone had any comments or knowledge, experience in this area. Bond is 30 minutes to the north of Avon.

Re: Bond, CO???

Postby GregMiller » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 pm

It'd be a great place to live if you like rafting, or fly fishing.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby schrund » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity. It seems one of the hardest things about living up in the mountains is finding good work - which you seem to have dialed. I would enjoy being that close to the ice in Vail not to mention the skiing - and being "off the beaten path" as it seems that Bond is.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby d_baker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Two Headed Boy wrote:I work for Union Pacific and I have a opportunity to move to Bond, Colorado and maintain the signals from there to Glenwood Springs. I would be supplied a home and make pretty good wages. I lived in Colorado 34 of the 40 years I have been alive and would love to get back there. I like the geographic location and was just wondering if anyone had any comments or knowledge, experience in this area. Bond is 30 minutes to the north of Avon.

I was in your current town yesterday, coming from Omaha. I think I would take Bond over N Platte any day. Actually, almost anywhere in CO over anywhere in NE!
Seriously though, being that close to Avon/Eagle Valley/Vail Valley, I don't think would be a bad thing. I lived in Avon last year for a 6 month work assignment, and loved it! Great access to some fun peaks (e.g., Holy Cross Wilderness, Gore, Tenmile, even Front Range stuff).
Chicago Transplant and/or jbchalk are some local residents, so I'm sure they can give some input.
Good luck and welcome back if you choose to take the job!

Postby planet54 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm

I have been through Bond many times. You won't find much for shopping or entertainment there, but is that a bad thing? Colorado 131 from Bond to I-70 involves climbing out of the Colorado River Valley, crossing a divide and then dropping into the Eagle River Valley.There are some steep grades and some curves so it can be rough in winter at times. It isn't a 65mph highway even in summer. But,here's the good stuff. The Flat Tops are at your backdoor. Island Lake and Deer Lake are gems. Outside of Yampa is Stillwater Reservoir and there are great trips to take from there.Down the road a bit is State Bridge where there are music festivals in summer. Not a bad climate either, not as much snow as higher up. Welcome back if you take the job!
Last edited by planet54 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby Scott P » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Nice location as long as you aren't after nightlife. The Flat Tops and Colorado River are right there. I'm not into night life, but in the summer there actually is some nightlife in the area, or at least every time I've driven through State Bridge on a summer night (especially on the weekends), there is a big party going on.

If you like small towns (and I do), Bond would be a good one.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm

My advice: Do it.

Postby iceman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 am

I take the drive through Bond on my way to Steamboat on a regular basis. It is about 20 minutes North of I70 with a very good road. The road is very well maintained through the winter months. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to live, but I would rather live there than outside of Colorado.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

I have only driven through it, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to stop in Bond, but it doesn't look like a bad place to live either. The location is pretty decent if you don't mind having to drive a little ways for provisions. I don't know what kind of grocery/general store is in Bond and I don't remember a gas station nearby, I think you need to go to Yampa (north) or Edwards/Eagle (south) for the closest provisions.

The roads around it are open year round, and connect you to a few areas pretty easily. You can travel south for about 20 minutes and get to I-70 between Edwards and Eagle then 10 minutes to either town from there. Go north for an hour or so to Steamboat. Yampa is on the way to Steamboat (30 minutes from Bond?), and is a gateway town to the Flattops.

There is a dirt road (turns to pavement later) that heads SW just west of Bond that follows the Colorado River (and the RR tracks) to I-70 at the east end of Glenwood Canyon, Colroado River Road. If you are working switches, I am going to assume you will spend a lot of time driving this road. From State Bridge to the east there is a dirt road that heads east to Kremmling, called the Trough Road. Both of those dirt roads are maintained in winter, I have driven them in winter but never right after a storm so not sure how high on the plowing priority list they are.

As mentioned above, State Bridge has a lot of concerts in summer, and the Colorado River provides abundant fishing and rafting opportunities. Yampa provides access to Stillwater Reservoir in the Flattops and a few 12ers, the Gore and Holy Cross Wilderness are not too far away, taking the Trough Road to Kremmling can get you the western IPW and RMNP in under 2 hours, north of Steamboat to the Mt Zirkel Wilderness, or south of Glenwood to the Elks. There are definitely a lot of places under 2 hours drive for you to explore.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:58 pm

You should go for it! If you can entertain yourself in North Platte you'll have no trouble adjusting to Bond. I think I'd rather be anywhere than North Platte in the winter. If you were coming from Manhattan or Los Angeles, it might be a shock. Not sure if you are married or have kids, if so they might have the bigger adjustment.

As mentioned, lots of great recreational opportunity in the area.

When I first saw this thread I thought it had something to do with the new James Bond movie. I need to go see that soon.

Postby Two Headed Boy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the great responses! I have about 2 weeks to make up my mind so I am going to visit the place this weekend. I am 40 years old and my daughter is graduating from high school this summer, my wife and I do not need a night life on a regular basis so this sounds like it may work. Added note - I took my wife on her first 14er last year and she loved it so this sounds really good. Added note 2 - Thanks for the very detailed post Chicago Transplant.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:19 pm

You're welcome!

Make sure you check out the surrounding areas as well, seeing as Bond doesn't have much in the way of provisions and you are going to need to travel to other towns for that sort of stuff. I imagine you will spend a lot of time in Edwards/Avon, Eagle, Glenwood Springs, Yampa and/or Steamboat. It would be worth seeing what those towns all have to offer and how much of a commute it is before you commit to all that driving.

I moved to Avon straight from Chicago and worried it was going to be "too small", I thought I would be going to Denver all the time to make up for it, but I hardly go to Denver at all. Maybe once or twice a year tops? Summit County offers most of the shopping holes that Eagle County has so I find if I need something I end up there instead of making the long trek to Denver. I don't even go to Denver's airport that much because Eagle flies direct to Chicago in winter.

If I can go from a city of 2 million to a town of just 6,000, I am sure North Platte to Bond will be a piece of cake :)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Next