Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cheyenne Mountain State Park management plan

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park management plan

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

Parks & Wildlife has released a new management plan for Cheyenne Mountain State Park, near Colorado Springs. They're having an open house on November 28th to present it, but you can read it online now:
http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/CheyenneMountain/ManagementPlan/Pages/ManagementPlan.aspx

The major change is that they're proposing to allow horses in the south end of the park. My view is that this will lead to trail damage and mess, although in my experience the equestrians around here do more political lobbying than actual riding. But they have political influence, so here we are.

Another point of contention has been mountain bike access to the new top-of-mountain trail (which won't be finished for several years). The plan calls for bikes to be allowed up to a saddle on the ridge but not to the summit.

It appears to be too late to influence the plan (we tried....), but you can still let your views be known if you're a park user.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Re: Cheyenne Mountain State Park management plan

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks, Jim. I echo your sentiments.

Postby jsdratm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 am

I'm glad they are building an actual trail to the top of Cheyenne Mountain. I walked up Old Stage and Transmitter Lane to get to the top a while back and it is very scenic once you hit Transmitter Lane. Got quite a few interesting looks from people driving up to the antenna farm. From what I saw, the terrain is quite challenging on the eastern side.

edit: meant old stage rd, not gold camp rd
Last edited by jsdratm on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 am

The new top-of-mountain (Dixon) trail will leave off of the existing North Talon trail, go up to a saddle south of the antennas, then up the south ridge to the antenna summit plateau. There's a lot of trail left to build still. The plan is to build it by volunteer projects over the next few years, but the logistics of getting tools and people up there are tough (it might be finished by hired crews if they have the money). Once finished, it will be a big challenge (~15 miles r/t, no camping or water along the way) but should be a good addition to the local trails.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.