Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thruhike of the 14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Thruhike of the 14ers

Postby jdawud » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Hello 14ers folks,

Next summer I'm going to attempt to climb all of the 14ers of Colorado as a thru hike. I've started a website to chronicle the planning and attempt.

www.14ersthruhike.com

It should be good fun.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Re: Thruhike of the 14ers

Postby San Juan Ron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Good luck! SJ Ron :)

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:00 pm

epic journey, man. good luck and god speed!

Postby Vincopotamus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I'd heard of people attempting all 58 totally under human power, but that was utilizing bikes between TH's :shock: I try not to overuse this word, but this is an epic journey.

I was looking at your tentative route and wondered if you'd considered heading from the Elks straight to Holy Cross and then south through the rest of the Sawatch, instead of backtracking from Shavano and Tab to Holy Cross? Or moving from the San Juans to Capitol, working your way southeast through the Elks, then doing the Sawatch south to north? I haven't looked at it closely, but I thought those routes might be a bit more shorter/direct.

Good luck and keep us filled in!
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby jdawud » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks guys!

I struggled with what to do with both Holy Cross and Pikes Peaks. Ultimately it seems better to consider Holy Cross to be part of the Ten Mile - Mosquito range. The distance required to add it to the north end of the Sawatch Range coming from Aspen is too great. I'm trying now to embed a google earth map with the route on the website, unfortunately I'm no techie!
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby Doug Shaw » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Last edited by Doug Shaw on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:Generally the people who do these amazing things tend to do them, then announce that they did them after the fact, not announce that they are going to do them and then complete it.

Indeed. Most of the people actually capable of doing these things are humble and extend the effort up front, not elliciting the "look at me" factor before they even start to train in earnest.

See: John Prater
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby justiner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 pm

DO IT!

Good luck!
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby Vincopotamus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:01 pm

When I think of the word 'epic' being overused I think of TR's about someone's 15 hour day post-holing on Mount Massive in March being 'epic.' To contrast, I think Homie's run at CaveDog's record this summer, despite not surpassing it, and despite announcing it ahead of time, is deserving of the word epic.

It's likely that I'm naive and out of touch, but I haven't ever heard or seen anyone propose thru-hiking the 14ers, and certainly haven't heard anyone actually doing it. Maybe the 3-page blog is meaningless but I think the idea of the project alone is epic. So I suppose I meant to say "this would be an epic journey."
Last edited by Vincopotamus on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby jdawud » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Note that I said attempt twice in my original post. I may fail. Failure is a natural danger of trying.

I've hiked the Pacific Crest Trail twice and that means that I've got over 5400 miles of long distance trekking experience. This trip will be about 1200, so that's less than "half a thru hike" by my previous standard. I know the logistics necessary and also how well I deal with elevation. I've climbed 14ers before and I'm a good rock climber.

Frankly I don't need to explain myself to haters. The reality is that most people attempting difficult things have a lot of support and do announce their intentions. I conceived of the idea and was kind of surprised that Andrew Hamilton's human powered record was the closest analog I could find (btw he advocates making your intentions clear). I think it will be a really awesome way to do the 14ers, so i'm going to try it. I think others might find it interesting so i made a site and posted a link here with a rather simple announcement.

My website is sparse, and new. I'm no techie and it is a work in progress.

One certainly could describe the route as proposed to be 'epic' (by #4) -

ep·ic   [ep-ik] Show IPA
adjective Also, ep·i·cal.
noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

Relax and don't hate, you might have more fun.

-Junaid
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:49 pm

You'd call this the 14er Direttissima.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby KentonB » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:09 am

jdawud, I wish you the best of luck and will follow your web site to see how things are progressing. I'd be interested in seeing the "detailed" map of your route. Offhand, I can think of several difficult spots in your plan... And it "sounds" like you may not have a great deal of familiarity with a lot of the 14ers in Colorado (is that accurate?). As an example, it jumped out at me that you were planning to go from Blanca to Lindsey. I've not attempted this, but having been "up close and personal" with that ridge, and hearing from others who've done it, I know that's a seriously difficult path. As is a downclimb off Crestone Peak to Humboldt (unless you retrace your steps over Broken Hand Pass... losing a lot of elevation).

All that said, I'm definitely not an expert... only making the suggestion that it might be good (if you haven't already) to get some solid beta on a lot of the traverses you'll be making. And once again... Good luck!

Next