Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New York Educated Bears?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: New York Educated Bears?

Postby mountain_man » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 am

atbaritone wrote:In North Carolina/Virginia: bear vault = no mice in my food

That's a good point. At Lake Como we saw legions of mice. Alright, maybe it wasn't that many, but it was quite a few. A hung bag might not have stopped them, our bear vault gave us protection we didn't even think about.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:11 am

MonGoose wrote:Hanging your food in a tree can be very time consuming and a real pain in the butt at times. I find that the convenience of the bear vault makes it well worth the trouble of carrying it.

This.... the last thing I want to do after a strenuous backpack is deal with hanging up a food bag. Keeping it in the bear-proof container is so much more convenient, and I will deal with the added weight. Like others have said it makes a good camp stool too!

Postby sunny1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 am

I'm on the other side of the coin re: food protection/human hoarding :wink: in the backcountry.
I found the bear cannisters to be a major PITA to carry - if I put it in my pack, it took up waaay too much room.
If I strapped it on top, no go. Bulky, cumbersome. UGH. ](*,)

I use an OPSAK in a Drysack or similar and hang everything. All food, including bars, snacks, utensils, etc. All hygiene items including deodorant, tooth paste/brush, sunscreen, lipbalm, etc. Anything that may have any scent or potentially attractive to a bear goes UP.
I got 2 of my original systems from Backpacking Light - they're holding up well.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_nano_bear_bag_system.html

Once you get some practice with the hanging technique, you can do it quickly! Even in the rain. :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby atbaritone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:17 am

I have to add two more thoughts to this string.

Backpacking has backpacks designed specifically for backpacking: external frames. An external frame pack will give you at least three options of easy placement for the bear vault.

Another line of defense against bears in camp seems to be urine. Perhaps part of the reason I have never had a hang bag taken out of a tree is that I always urinate around the base of the tree when I do use a hang bag. This may be complete bunk, but I believe we shouldn't underestimate the world of scent that most mammals live in.
An unsuccessful day climbing is better than a successful day working.--Me.

Previous