Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RMNP Noob Tour

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: RMNP Noob Tour

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:05 pm

I'll let you in on a little secret; theres more to RMNP than Twin Sisters, MLW and Hallett Peak. My vote is for Chapin/Chiquita/Ypsilon, that area makes for a really nice outing and, while popular, a bit less touristy than the other places. The Mummies are an overlooked mountain range in a pretty developed national park.

Another possibility would be Mount Ida and beyond.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby kimo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm

anna wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:kimo, I really like that picture of Longs and Pagoda! How beautiful! Did you take those?

Yes, he did. And not even with a camera he likes. :cry:
http://kimoboeche.zenfolio.com

Yes, those were taken yesterday when we hiked St Vrain and Meadow, using a point and shoot with a broken lens cover that needs to be pried open every time I turn it on. Gloves in whipping wind complicate the matter to the point of obscenities. And I'm crying because my DSLR and favorite lens died a tragic death on Black Friday after a missed attempt on Chiefs Head Peak. Kids...don't forget to put the camera in the car and not on top of it.

Apologies for the detour...the Mummies are another awesome hike.

Postby 12ersRule » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm

kimo wrote: And I'm crying because my DSLR and favorite lens died a tragic death on Black Friday after a missed attempt on Chiefs Head Peak.

I was wondering why you and Anna were talking about Sandbeach Lake.

ChrisRoberts wrote:I'll let you in on a little secret; theres more to RMNP than Twin Sisters, MLW and Hallett Peak.

Couldn't agree more!!!

Postby DanR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Depending on the year, wildflowers may still be going strong in early August. If they are, I suggest picking a route that takes advantage of that. While I think that Mount Lady Washington and Flattop/Hallett are great destinations, the trails up them ascend through fairly dry forest. Nearly all of my RMNP summits have been in other seasons so I can't speak from direct experience, but Saint Vrain Mountain and the upper reaches of Wild Basin strike me as likelier to have nice flower displays. Perhaps other people have better input on this?

Postby kimo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 pm

49ersRule wrote:I was wondering why you and Anna were talking about Sandbeach Lake.

I love trees. But never again. Next time Chiefs Head will be approached from Lion/Snowbank lakes or the PCH couloir from GG.

SuperiorTrailHiker wrote:...looking to make sure these guys have the "Man, would you look at THIS" Colorado experience...I don't want to shut down the recommendations; if you have one, definitely fire it up, I'm taking all the info I can get in plotting this out.

The view of higher peaks from the modest summit of "Thunder Mountain" (UN10134) in the Park are fantastic. The route is short on miles (~4 miles roundtrip) but it's an honest bushwack with around 2K gain and feels longer than it really is due to the "out there" feeling even though it's close to town. If you're seeking that kind of adventure let me know as I can send more details.

The Mummy Range seen from the summit of Thunder.

It's not easy but the low miles keeps it manageable and fun...if you and your friends are into obstacle courses and route finding.

Postby Upstate Hiker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:16 am

I just got so excited thinking we were going to take a group ski tour in RMNP. Damn disappointing.

Postby cougar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am

Mt Ida and CCY (Chapin/Chiquita/Ypsilon) are both very good options and fairly moderate, with great views.
Lady Washington is short and steep and may be a test for the altitude, plus you have the Longs crowds. Ida would be the least crowded of these and is pretty mellow with a good trail most of the way (that isn't on maps) - CCY isn't too bad since you start very high and has the easiest 13ers in the park.

If you're up for a fun 12-13 mile loop, Flattop/Hallett/Otis with a glissade down Andrews Glacier is a good one - 3 easy 12ers along the divide and a good sampling of the center of the park. You also have the option of bypassing Hallett and/or Otis if you're not up for it (and the option of climbing 13er Taylor if you're feeling really good and the weather holds out) but it's not much more work to go up these. You'll see few people between Hallett and Andrews Tarn. All class 2, most of the uphill is on the Flattop trail.

Indian Peaks has some great spots too, some better than the park.

Previous