Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

My First 14'er Hike (video)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

My First 14'er Hike (video)

Postby MWBradshaw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 am

On the morning of 1/19/13, me and my buddy Tom set off to hike/climb/snowshoe Quandary Peak. This would be my first 14'er and Tom's first Winter 14'er. Only being in Colorado for 1 week, I probably should have thought wiser (the elevation kicked my ass) but we got it done. Here's the documentation of that hike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9yq0X1BNSI

Re: My First 14'er Hike (video)

Postby denvermikey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

Nice. Congrats on your first. Looks like the conditions could not have been any better for January. Blue skies, little to no wind, nice hard-packed trail, etc.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby KentonB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am

Nice job! And congratulations! You picked a perfect year to do it too! I had trouble finding the summit a few years ago because the drifts on top were about 10 feet high. LOL What's next? :-)

Postby MWBradshaw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 am

denvermikey wrote:Nice. Congrats on your first. Looks like the conditions could not have been any better for January. Blue skies, little to no wind, nice hard-packed trail, etc.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Yeah, we didn't need the Snowshoes that we brought. I just recently got mine so I strapped them on about half way down and they actually helped with the grip on the descent. If I do another winter 14'er I will most likely be purchasing the Micro-spikes that about 70% of the people on the Mountain that day had on! ha

Postby MWBradshaw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am

KentonB wrote:Nice job! And congratulations! You picked a perfect year to do it too! I had trouble finding the summit a few years ago because the drifts on top were about 10 feet high. LOL What's next? :-)

That's a good question! I don't have any plans, I made a username on here in hopes to read some trip reports and target my 2nd 14'er. Any recommendations from the experienced? I live in Colorado Springs. I figure I have to do Pikes Peak since it's not far from my place but I think I'm going to do that one in the Spring.

Postby nicholasblee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

MWBradshaw wrote: I live in Colorado Springs. I figure I have to do Pikes Peak since it's not far from my place but I think I'm going to do that one in the Spring.

I just joined and live in the Springs as well. I usually hit Pikes Peak half a dozen times or so in the spring and summer. Let me know if/when you head up.

Postby KentonB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm

MWBradshaw wrote:Any recommendations from the experienced? I live in Colorado Springs.

I don't consider myself experienced, but I'm in the Springs as well and have some thoughts. Unless you have a lot of climbing experience outside of 14ers, the typical list of "easy" ones are generally a good place to start. That would include:

- Sherman
- Bierstadt
- Grays/Torreys
- Elbert
- Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross
(a.k.a., "The Decalibron")

And if you want to drive a ways:
- Handies
- San Luis

Of course, many of these are significantly more difficult to access in the Winter. I typically do local hikes around Pikes Peak this time of year. If you want some suggestions on local hikes, send me a private message!

Postby MWBradshaw » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks guys! I will be in touch about hiking Pike's, I wanna do that in the Spring time. And thanks for the recommendations KentonB!

Postby MWBradshaw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm

I used my snowshoes on the way down (mainly because I just bought them and wanted to use them) and it helped a bit with traction. We didn't have Microspikes or Crampons, a lot of others on the mountain that day has microspikes but there was definitely people at the top without poles or microspikes. I had the poles so I brought them but if you're in decent shape and experienced (that was my first) I would think you could do it. But then again, I'm a rook when it comes to this so I'd maybe consult a more veteran 14'er on this.

Postby MonGoose » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Nice video guys! Although, I would have liked to of seen a little bit of dancing on the summit. :-s

Postby MWBradshaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 am

MonGoose wrote:Nice video guys! Although, I would have liked to of seen a little bit of dancing on the summit. :-s

Haha, next time MonGoose. I saw your message that is awesome!