Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

new look on summitpost

Items that do not fit the categories above.

new look on summitpost

Postby d_baker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 am

I don't go to sp very often, and I'm not a member there, but I like the new look/style of the site. In particular I like the framing of photos.

Bill, if you see this, is there a way we could have some kind of generic photo framing options for our photo uploads here on your site? At least for tr's?

Re: new look on summitpost

Postby Fisching » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 am

I agree. The redesign is a much needed change from the previous bland layout.

Maybe because I rarely visit that site I've never noticed it before, but has the sub-heading always been listed as "Mountains & Rocks"? That seems like a poor idea; I'll have to search and see if someone has submitted a route for climbing something like this behemoth:

EDIT: Suspicion confirmed: http://www.summitpost.org/airport-boulder/823130
Last edited by Fisching on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Kiefer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 pm

I'd agree. Matt & Josh have been working hard getting the changes made. At this point, it's getting the smaller formatting kinks worked out (IE: alignment of pics) between html and css.

Fishing..
The sub-heading isn't 'mountains & rocks'. There is no sub-heading. It's an option to click on among 11 others.
Must just be the way it appears in your browser or screen res. :?:
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:15 pm

d_baker wrote:I don't go to sp very often, and I'm not a member there, but I like the new look/style of the site. In particular I like the framing of photos.

Bill, if you see this, is there a way we could have some kind of generic photo framing options for our photo uploads here on your site? At least for tr's?

Absolutely. That type of formatting is easy to do with CSS - I'll add it to the my list of stuff I'd like to change on the TR pages. The trick is making it all work with older browsers because many new formatting techniques are only supported by newer browsers/versions.

Thanks!

Kiefer wrote:I'd agree. Matt & Josh have been working hard getting the changes made. At this point, it's getting the smaller formatting kinks worked out (IE: alignment of pics) between html and css.

Yup! And sometimes that's no small task due to the multitude of browsers and versions.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:The trick is making it all work with older browsers because many new formatting techniques are only supported by newer browsers/versions.

And sometimes that's no small task because of the multitude of browsers and versions.

People on legacy browsers and/or IE deserve a broken internet.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Welcome to 2013, please upgrade your 3.0 version of IE

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Welcome to 2013, please upgrade your 3.0 version of IE

Could you email that to everyone, please? Just the other day someone PMed me with some format problems on the site and the answer to my first question was: Windows 98 with IE 6. :o

Postby Fisching » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Kiefer wrote:Fisching..
The sub-heading isn't 'mountains & rocks'. There is no sub-heading. It's an option to click on among 11 others.
Must just be the way it appears in your browser or screen res. :?:

I was on my wife's Nook which could explain why it showed up differently. Either way, the "rocks" inclusion in that option cracked me up.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
SchralpTheGnar wrote:Welcome to 2013, please upgrade your 3.0 version of IE

Could you email that to everyone, please? Just the other day someone PMed me with some format problems on the site and the answer to my first question was: Windows 98 with IE 6. :o

Have mercy, please.

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:18 am

The new look is only one of a bunch of things that has recently changed and there is still much more to come.

The voting system has also changed thanks to the new algorithms designed by Chad and implemented by Matt. Now you don't always have to vote a 10/10 on every page but you are able to vote honestly and the entire scale is opened up.

In the very near future, there will be a new editor for SP which should make it MUCH easier to submit pages. Something like a WYSIWYG editor where coding isn't necessary.

The future of SP is looking very bright and should become the premier beta site spanning all the worlds mountains. Of course...local beta sites like this one will always be around as well! :-D
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:44 am

Matt Lemke wrote:Of course...local beta sites like this one will always be around as well! :-D

Good to know!

Postby Fisching » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 am

Matt Lemke wrote: Of course...local beta sites like this one will always be around as well! :-D

It's not quite up to the same standard as gaining accreditation from the BBB, but it's prestigious nonetheless. Wear this like a badge of honor, Bill, because 14ers.com is:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (133.85 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Next