Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Which one: RMI, IMG or Alpine Ascents??

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Which one: RMI, IMG or Alpine Ascents??

Postby herdbull » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

I've recently returned from a successful solo climb of Pico de Orizaba down in Mexico. While laying in bed back at the hostel on the night of the climb I was already dreaming of what lies ahead. The body passed the altitude test with flying colors so I'm tossing around ideas for future climbs. South America is next, hopefully within the next 12 months.

But first things first. I need some training. I'm very green and have no experience with rope teams and team climbing in general. But at the same time I need to be challenged. I made some calls today and there's not many spaces left, especially at RMI and only on certain climbs/training classes. I definitely want to climb something when I'm out there and not just take a class.

I'm looking at anything from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Any recommendations? What have your experiences been and anything to stay away from or any must do's? I'm assuming it's pretty much these 3 to chose from? I also wouldn't rule out a Denali prep course over 8-10 days.

Thanks for the input.

Re: Which one: RMI, IMG or Alpine Ascents??

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

All reputable establishments and it really comes down to your guides. Many guides bounce around from company to company, so I advise finding out who is going to be running your trip and seek out their qualifications. A good guide is like a good mentor and will teach you a lot. A bad guide is just a person dragging you around on a rope for money. If you can find a trip with a guide who is IFMGA certified you will most likely learn a lot, that is a difficult cert to gain. But that isn't necessarily the only determining factor. There are plenty of great guides that are not officially certified. A phone conversation with said guide usually yields good intel. In this situation you are looking for a good teacher, not the the most accomplished guy on the block. Best of luck.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby herdbull » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:34 pm

thanks. I'm running into limited time slots at all of the 3. Some worse than others. Memorial Day weekend just seems pretty early to head out there but I may have to take it. Also the more I look into the programs I think I'm liking the 6+ days better. It just seems like you be exposed to more stuff. Which I could use.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm

Yeah bud, like I stated before it comes down to your guide more than the company in my opinion. There should be more trips that pop up as the season moves along. All of those companies have more guides on speed dial than they can employ full time and will undoubtedly put another trip on the schedule if they have enough clients. If I am reading your post correctly you are planning to climb in South America in May? Not my favorite idea, a good Cascades or AK trip during that time may yield you better results based on your goals.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby herdbull » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm

No, the May trip would be to the NW. I'll wait until the conditions are more acceptable to climb in S.A. There's so much to climb down there I'll never be able to pick one trip #-o Plus I need to upgrade some gear before then and research the poop out of it. Then there's always the fundages but from what I can tell most trips are within my budget or at least close.