Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

While some of you are enjoying Winter climbing/skiing, etc, I know there are a lot of forum members who are anxious for the snow to melt and the Summer season to begin. Living out of state I tend to start planning trips well in advance.

My plans for the Summer season are:

Belford/Oxford (Memorial Day if the snow melts early)
North Maroon, Pyramid & Capitol (Mid-Summer trip) Really excited about these ones!
San Luis or Challenger/Kit Carson (Labor Day)

What are you planning?

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby Jesse M » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Yes, I am one of those who think about the summer months, a lot. I don't have any specific 14ers in mind, but I plan to break into the Elks and Sangres this year. My main goal is to meet new people and climb with them. I also want to complete the Tenmile 13ers, and get a handfull of the Mosquito 13ers this summer, and get my blind puppy up a 14er or 13er this year.

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm aware that this is extremely ambitious, but I like to set the bar high for myself... It will be interesting to see how far along in this list I can make it this year. I would at least like to make sure I can get Capitol, Pyramid, Kit Carson/Challenger and Chicago Basin. Planning on doing Snowmass and the Crestones with ameristrat. :-D

May 2013:
Castle Peak
Conundrum Peak
Snowmass Mountain

*Might hold off on Snowmass until June depending on snow conditions.

June 2013:
Crestone Peak
Crestone Needle (repeat)
Wilson Peak
Mount Wilson
El Diente Peak

July 2013:
Windom Peak*
Sunlight Peak*
Mount Eolus*
North Eolus*
Culebra Peak
San Luis Peak

*I would like to do Chicago Basin with my uncle and cousin if they can make it out here this summer.

August 2013:
Longs Peak (repeat)
Pyramid Peak
Challenger Point
Kit Carson Peak
Mount Sneffels

September 2013:
Capitol Peak
North Maroon Peak
South Maroon Peak
Blanca Peak
Little Bear Peak

I should add that none of this is set in stone or anything. It's just a rough idea. I'm willing to switch climbs around depending on conditions (early season), weather and partners.
Last edited by SilverLynx on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby shaberer0511 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

My main goal is to summit Mt. Elbert. I have tried and failed twice due to thunderstorms building. Pikes would be nice too. I was going to climb that one in June of last year but the Waldo Canyon Fire stopped that trip before it started. Elbert would take priority. I would also like to hit 10 summits in the summer, but we'll see.
"The Good Lord gave us mountains so we can learn how to climb. (Lonestar)"

Postby awilbur77 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 pm

A few goals:

- See at least one sunrise every few weeks from a summit.
- Avoid crowded peaks / routes as much as possible.
- Drive my Jeep as far as I possibly can on Lake Como Rd.
- Finish the 14ers by my Dad's 70th birthday on 10/2 and summit my final 14er (probably Sneffels) with my Dad. It'd be his 1st 14er and my last.
- Try to be less anti-social in the climbing community and maybe attend a happy hour.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Chicago Basin via Vallecito approach. Those are the only 14ers I really want this year.

And other than that:

14er repeats (new and repeat routes)
Many, many 13ers (and not just centannials)
12ers, 11ers, and lower peaks (with *gasp* trees on the summit)

My primary goal for the year is to not finish anything, just to get out every weekend from Memorial Day to the end of October or November.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby matthewbe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Definitely the Chicago Basin mountains! I also want to do some of the ridge routes. But for now, I am enjoying the snow!
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com

Postby DeTour » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:46 pm

SilverLynx wrote:May 2013:
Castle Peak
Conundrum Peak
Snowmass Mountain
*Might hold off on Snowmass until June depending on snow conditions.

June 2013:
Crestone Peak
Crestone Needle (repeat)
Wilson Peak
Mount Wilson
El Diente Peak

July 2013:
Windom Peak*
Sunlight Peak*
Mount Eolus*
North Eolus*
Culebra Peak
San Luis Peak
*I would like to do Chicago Basin with my uncle and cousin if they can make it out here this summer.

August 2013:
Longs Peak (repeat)
Pyramid Peak
Challenger Point
Kit Carson Peak
Mount Sneffels

September 2013:
Capitol Peak
North Maroon Peak
South Maroon Peak
Blanca Peak
Little Bear Peak

arrrrghhhhh .... do you know how painful it is to read a list like that when you live in Illinois and only get out for one week a year? But congrats on great goals!

Hopefully this year's week will include our first foray into the Elks: Castle/Conundrum, and Pyramid. Then we're thinking to wrap up with Tour d'Abyss.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 pm

My nephew will be visiting from Ontario for his first fourteener this summer. It will be the first time I climbed a fourteener with any of my family from Canada. He’s been here skiing a couple times and I’ve been telling him he needs to get out here in the summer.

We plan to get some more new thirteeners. Also I’d like to do a few of the fourteeners I’ve only done three times. My friend Ed needs a lot of the same ones so we’ll probably do the Crestones or something in the Maroon group. Mostly I just plan to get above treeline a lot.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Jesse M wrote:Yes, I am one of those who think about the summer months, a lot.

Dig it. :-D

Whimsical musings of those carefree summer days with high pressure over the Great Basin and relative immunity from thunderstorms for those all-day alpine expeditions... [-o<

I'd like to go back with Steve and finish our work on Grey Needle. Perhaps a run up Sunlight to explore the back side of the Spire! Or maybe an excursion to the next drainage north of Noname for more 5th class routes.

Petit Grapon. Cliche, but it's been on the to-do list forever.

Anything in 50 Classic Climbs.

Perhaps something on the Diamond - Casual ("Cattle" : ) or Pervertical.

Ah, ... exploring more of that Crestone conglomerate. The Prow! And some possible FA potential in that area.

And... just some plain, old fashioned backpacking into the Holy Cross Wilderness for some off-trail exploration (no peaks, necessarily) and flyfishing on remote water where the fish ain't hardly never seen feathers on a hook before. :-D

Winter is ok, but summer would be a blast.

Sweet summertime....Image
Didn't Bob Seger... Hmm.... Nevermind.

Summer wilderness, splashy rises at sundown... <sigh>

Thanks for starting a great thread to remind us of why we suffer through winter!
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:13 pm

MountainHiker wrote:My nephew will be visiting from Ontario for his first fourteener this summer

Love this =D>

My greatest "accomplishments" have not been anything I've done, but in being able to share Colorado's natural beauty with visiting flatlanders, and pushing them to make it to places they could never have imagined being in. Am now booking flights for the Alpine Boot Camp class of 2013 \:D/
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Scott P » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 pm

The Crestones Traverse and Snowmass. Don't know what else.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Next