Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby jsdratm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

-For 14ers: DeCaLiBron, Mt. of the Holy Cross, Princeton, Torreys, Belford, Oxford, and Sherman
-Trekking trip in Bolivia with CMC (maybe a 17er)
-Backpacking trip from Empire to Bard and Engelmann, plus the minor peaks to the southeast
-Finish off the glorious Mummy Range with a backpacking trip to summit Hagues and Fairchild

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm

No particular 14er goals this summer...just lots of hiking/scrambling/climbing to get prepared for an epic at the end of August.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby I Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:No particular 14er goals this summer...just lots of hiking/scrambling/climbing to get prepared for an epic at the end of August.

Good luck on that epic at the end of August. Its going to be awesome!!

My summer goal is to not climb any 14ers :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Keeping this to just Colorado 14ers...

-Bell Cord
-Cross Couloir
-La Plata Ellingwood Ridge
-Snowmass S-Ridge and North Snowmass
-Third Ascent of South Wilson
-Double-secret expedition with dmccool
-Helping old friends finish or progress with their lists, and helping new ones get started
-Lead at least one easy 14er trip for a group of my non-climbing buds
-Finally run into the Swedish Bikini Team on a summit

I'd also like to spend 4-6 days on an extended backpacking trip in the Weminuche. It's heart-achingly beautiful back there.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:27 pm

I Man wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:No particular 14er goals this summer...just lots of hiking/scrambling/climbing to get prepared for an epic at the end of August.

Thanks and I hope you will be able to join up! Either way, we should team up and hike some this season.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby I Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
I Man wrote:

Thanks and I hope you will be able to join up! Either way, we should team up and hike some this season.

Would love to.

Ok - getting serious.

Summer 14er goals:

Longs Peak - Stettners Ledges
Blanca Peak - Ornes Buttress
Crestone Needle - Ellingwood Arete
North Eolus/Jupiter

Might try and head down to the Wilson for Gladstone and the Wilson- El D Traverse

Biggest domestic summer goal is to get to the Wind River Range in Wyoming.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:34 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:I'm still waiting on winter to show up.

Ditto. Ski whatever 14er is "in", till the snow goes out. Maybe some 13er ski tours too. Also help some friends finish the 14er list as well.

Then it will be as many 13er ridge runs as I can manage, in training for something quite ridiculous.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby crossfitter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Rule proposal: for every lofty goal posted here left un-attempted on September 22, you must buy a round at the next Happy Hour. No free rides for spraying!
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 pm

crossfitter wrote:Rule proposal: for every lofty goal posted here left un-attempted on September 22, you must buy a round at the next Happy Hour. No free rides for spraying!

I like this. If another year goes by without the Swedish Bikini Team, I'll be spending all my money on booze anyway.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby I Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 pm

crossfitter wrote:Rule proposal: for every lofty goal posted here left un-attempted on September 22, you must buy a round at the next Happy Hour. No free rides for spraying!

I'm going to owe a lot of beer to you Mr Kris ](*,)

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Avoid the Sawach Range for a second straight year
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby IkeB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Love the rule.

PreviousNext