Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby Papillon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

SilverLynx wrote:I would also like to do Tour de Massive at some point... and aside from 14ers I'd like to do Mummy Mania and Mount Meeker.

You should look into the hourglass ridge on Mount Alice in Wild Basin if you want a 13er in the park. It doesn't have the bang for buck that Mummy Mania has but it also doesn't have the potential parking lot CF that is the Longs Peak TH. Wild Basin is a special place. Great views back there, especially of McHenry's Notch. Don't worry about the miles. The trails are solid in Wild Basin and the miles go quick.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Mount Alice is definitely sweet, watch out for the bruins though.......

Postby Tornadoman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
crossfitter wrote:Rule proposal: for every lofty goal posted here left un-attempted on September 22, you must buy a round at the next Happy Hour. No free rides for spraying!

I like this. If another year goes by without the Swedish Bikini Team, I'll be spending all my money on booze anyway.

I predict a lot of booze in your future. :lol:

Postby Fisching » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:36 pm

While y'all will be be dreaming of some lowly grid or other stupid accomplishment this summer, wishing you were me, I'm chasing a snowflake on Pico do Jaraguá.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Jesse M » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Rule proposal: for every lofty goal posted here left un-attempted on September 22, you must buy a round at the next Happy Hour. No free rides for spraying!

I am in but only if Crossfit submits a list. :-"

Postby JROSKA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:46 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:Avoid the Sawach Range for a second straight year

Ahh, disrespect of the Sawatch Range. Funny, how on so many of these threads, it's not a question of if, but when. The most sure-fire sign that a thread has run its course, and nobody has anything of value to add anymore.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

My goal (not necessarily just next summer) is to help my wife get the four 14ers that she hasn't climbed but I have (Little Bear, Challenger, Kit Carson, Wilson Peak) and then finish together on Capitol. Maybe this year, maybe not, who knows. I never plan more than a week in advance. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Tornadoman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Jesse M wrote:Yes, I am one of those who think about the summer months, a lot. I don't have any specific 14ers in mind, but I plan to break into the Elks and Sangres this year. My main goal is to meet new people and climb with them. I also want to complete the Tenmile 13ers, and get a handfull of the Mosquito 13ers this summer, and get my blind puppy up a 14er or 13er this year.

Looks like you are exactly where I was last year (if your peak list is up to date). 23 14ers but no Elks or Sangres. I ended up hitting 4 peaks in the Sangres last year and Castle/Conundrum. The Sangres are amazing, you will enjoy that range!

Postby spiderman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 pm

The 14ers are fun for short weekend jaunts, but I am dreaming of hitting up some "nearby" Ultras:

Diamond
Borah (again)
He/She Devil
Sacajewa
Abercrombie
Snowshoe
McDonald
Crazy
Pikes
Nebo
Kings (again)
Gannett (again)
Deseret
Flat Top
Ibapah
Sierra Blanca

Postby WarDamnPanic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Little Bear this spring
Blanca/Ellingwood Point Memorial Day
Snowmass end of June
Bells over July 4th weekend
Mt. Wilson/El Diente in August
Chicago Basin over Labor Day
Wilson Peak mid September

Postby jmanner » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Pyramid
North Maroon
Uncompahgre
Capitol?!

Get 7ish new ones done in 2013.

Seems enough for now... :-k
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock

Postby greenhorn1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:37 pm

For those of us who don't live in CO with young family members, we have to be content to simply view or do only part of a 14er. I've been on more 14er trail hikes (with no summit) than I care to list. That's okay, it's still a great time.

This year it would be nice to summit Antero or take my son up Mount Elbert. We happen to love the Sawatch range. The towns nearby are relaxing and unpretentious. There's plenty of camping and trout fishing - I love it!

I would also like to see the Uinta Mountains.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

PreviousNext