Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby semitrueskerm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Hoping to get #58 on August 10th atop....Pikes. Yes, a bit anti-climactic, but will have family flying in from all over to be on top. Some will climb...some will ride. Kegger at the top. All are invited!

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm

My summer goals are to see new places, challenge myself, and have a safe summer climbing season.

As for peaks I'd like to attempt:
Three Apostles
Ellingwood Ridge on La Plata
Meeker via Iron Gates
Chicago Basin 14ers
Wilson Group
Snowmass
Culebra and Red
Decalibron from Democrat's North Ridge Route
Capitol

and.....Radical Slam
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm

I might do North Maroon.

Most of my summer goals involve 13ers, but that's not what was asked.

Oh wait, North Maroon isn't a 14er either. Nevermind.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Like some of the others, my 14er goals are limited. I am working on a second lap though and hope to get some repeats on a few of the harder ones this summer! The easier ones I have been doing a lot in winter and shoulder seasons, but Capital in April is not very appealing to me right now :lol:

Lots of 13er goals, some ultra goals, and other random "lists" like wilderness areas or counties. Plenty to keep me getting out and exploring the diverse mountain landscapes of Colorado and hopefully some other states as well!

PS - semitrueskerm - all the cool kids finish on Pikes 8)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby MountainMedic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm

I'd like to get through my first summer since 2010 without absolutely destroying a part of my body. Otherwise, learn how to climb steep rocks.

Postby screeman57 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm going to try to complete the 58 list, as well as do a few repeats on new routes and the Crestone and Bells traverses. Probably too ambitious, but that's the goal.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby BVGaper » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm going to try to hit my car from the summit of Sherman with a 7 iron.

Then I'll go to the Golden Burro to punish myself with a burrito.

Also Pyramid, the Crestones, the Bells, Holy Cross, and the Wilson group.
"It'll go. It's in."

Postby jeffs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Tornadoman wrote:North Maroon, Pyramid & Capitol (Mid-Summer trip)

I'd be interested in these also, let me know when, and maybe our paths would cross....
Hey, it's flat up here?!

Postby rking007 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 am

I'd love to spend a longer weekend up in the Pine Creek Little John's cabin area and get all five Sawatch 14ers from there. I've been camping there three times and just love that valley. Plus it conforms to my 'climb peaks from a non-standard route' if possible goal.

Some friends have offered to let us use their cabin in Howard near Salida whenever it's available so I could easily use that as base camp to get Tab/Shav, Antero, etc... going north or even play in the northern Sangres 13ers (Hunts, Twin Sisters North, Bushnell).

And, it's funny, but I've actually never even SEEN any of the elks or Sangres or San Juans in person other than from the top of the Front Range or Ten Mile/Mosquito 14ers... so... yeah, I haven't even scratched the awesome magnitude of our states peaks except vicariously through all of your trail reports... :-D Maybe I'll take the family to Aspen and gaze upon the Bells for the first time in the 32 YEARS I've lived in Colorado.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Tornadoman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:24 am

jeffs wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:North Maroon, Pyramid & Capitol (Mid-Summer trip)

I'd be interested in these also, let me know when, and maybe our paths would cross....

Cool! Maybe we should do a Wichita area 14ers meeting again too!

Postby Tornadoman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 am

SoCoJoe wrote:Hey Man! I've been a long time "lurker" on this site, and I have to tell you that I finally decided I should just join this site! I don't live in Colorado, but visit as often as I can, and I hope to visit this summer to hike some fourteen'rs! This topic has got me fired up!
This summer, I hope to go to Lake City and try to hike Sunshine and hopefully Redcloud too. And maybe Wetterhorn, that one looks real cool!
I've hiked several different peaks in Colorado, with Mount Elbert being the first. Actually, Pikes Peak was the first, but I don't know if I can count that since it was on the train! Didn't see a darn thing though, because it was in the clouds!

Hey, anyhow I look forward to getting out there this summer! I've been thinking about writing a report about some of my earlier trips. Some of the reports I see on this site are fantastic encouragement!!

Ok, I got to go! Excited to be here!

Glad that the post led to you joining the site! Wetterhorn is awesome if you are comfortable with a little scrambling and exposure. Don't forget about its neighbor uncompahgre, that is a relatively easy peak with great views!

Postby 14erFred » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

Fine tuning summer plans now, for a dash to the Centennial State during July. Plan to link up with a fellow Flatlander and several locals to tackle 14ers that my Flatlander friend has not yet climbed, including Lindsey, Columbia, Castle, Conundrum, and perhaps Capitol. It will be my 36th annual summer trip to climb 14ers. Gotta savor the summits.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

PreviousNext