Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

unsure if I should even post this....

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: unsure if I should even post this....

Postby glacierfox » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

There was a pretty lengthy discussion on pot etiquette awhile back in the off-route section. Think the OP had a fairly similar story.

Postby peter303 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Its worth posting and an interesting discussion.

I find the natural high of being in the backcountry, achieving a summit, talking round a campfire with friends to be more "real" than regular urban life or any medical aid. So much that I am "addicted" to try to do it almost every month.
I've speculated this may be because we evolved living this lifestyle for 95% of human existence and modern life is "alien". However, if you had to do your full life in the backcountry, i.e. find all your food, clothing, shelter, and raise a family, then it would not seem as convenient as modern life.

Postby I Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Some people are just crazy and choose to be ill informed and worry more about others than themselves. That is unavoidable.

I think, overall, you will find that more people in this community will laugh at those who attacked you than will laugh at you.

Just my .02 cents.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby midwestcoast » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I wouldn't say anything but I would still find it annoying. I don't smoke and I find the smell sickening. I know most people just don't care so I deal with it, but ultimately I find it a little disrespectful to smoke when you will be around people who don't. The backcountry also has enough dangers without altering the state of your mind. Just my opinion.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Funny, I used to smoke it and don't anymore, but still love the smell. If someone is smoking a regular cigarette though??? BLEH!!! I don't impose my non-smoker mentality on anyone, but I got stuck behind a group of younger guys on Belford one day that had a shouldered boombox blasting music and smoking cigarettes; it was hard not to comment. IMO, if you follow general smoking etiquette and aren't ashing all over the place, clouding up a summit (down wind), or blowing it anyone's face...go ahead and do you.

EDIT: I don't see it much differently than having a summit beer or shot.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Dukietown » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm

If you want to partake on a hike that's one thing. But as soon as you smoke it you're impacting everyone else. People don't want to smell it when they're out enjoying the fresh air. And you can be as careful as you want but all it takes is one slip up in a high fire danger situation and that's that. Why not go edible or another smokeless form on a hike? Nobody would notice, nobody would care. Or hey, if you want to light up in camp around the fire then it's up to whoever you're there with.

Just don't overdo it and end up getting yourself injured and having to call in outside help.

Postby scalba123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Steve Martin used to have this bit:

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't know, you mind if I fart? It's one of my habits. Sometimes after sex I like to light one up."

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Dukietown wrote:Why not go edible or another smokeless form on a hike? Nobody would notice, nobody would care. Or hey, if you want to light up in camp around the fire then it's up to whoever you're there with.

Just don't overdo it and end up getting yourself injured and having to call in outside help.

Darn, I logged in to post something useful, and Dukietown has beaten me too the punch. Seems like a common sense and respectful approach.

Postby I Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 pm

DaveSwink wrote:
Dukietown wrote:Why not go edible or another smokeless form on a hike? Nobody would notice, nobody would care. Or hey, if you want to light up in camp around the fire then it's up to whoever you're there with.

Darn, I logged in to post something useful, and Dukietown has beaten me too the punch. Seems like a common sense and respectful approach.

Glad to see you back Mr. Swink!

I agree with this sentiment, and it should come from both sides. Don't overtly piss people off and they should never act like they did.

I don't smoke when I hike anymore, but that is for personal reasons.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Last edited by SilverLynx on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Billy the Kid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Personally, I could care less if someone was smoking weed in the backcountry, but obviously different people have different opinions. Now that it is legal, I would recommend considering some of the great edible options. There is some great stuff on the market and you don't have to worry about pissing anyone off with the smell and smoke!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby madbuck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Agree with most above, esp. Dukietown: it reasonably inconveniences and sucks for others (possibly many), which is more bothersome to many than the legality part. Although parents/kids may have an extra issue with the legality part.
I have an issue running or skinning up a mountain and passing through a cloud of smoke that someone decided to put there. (Although I agree above, cigarette smoke is actually much worse).

Eating it avoids all those, as well as the small but very-real forest fire risk.

But if you still really wanted to smoke on a hike, there are literally thousands of options in Colorado (NOT the 2nd Flatiron, Grey's, Torrey's, etc.) of route, time-of-day, and season combinations where you can have the summit, if not most of your hike, to yourself. If that's really the primary focus of the hike, then, route selection will help with this.

But wouldn't be even cooler to be one of those guys and gals that doesn't smoke on the way, and crushes it up and down the mountains regularly? While Colorado has a rep because of new laws (which I did vote for), when I think of Colorado and this board, I think of a bunch of inspirational folks I want to be like when I grow up.

Next