Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

unsure if I should even post this....

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: unsure if I should even post this....

Postby bonehead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:04 pm

jaymz wrote:I want to be the poster boy of this thread.

Postby jaymz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 pm

evaunitross wrote:I suppose I just wish people didn't care. Oh well.

7 billion people in this world, a whole lot of them are going to disagree with you about lots of things. Once you accept this fact, life becomes a little less annoying.
And just because some of us are "anti-pot" doesn't mean we're unenlightened or let other people think for us or are judgmental of you. We just disagree on an issue. That's ok!
It helps to be a little more open-minded to realize that not everyone agrees with you that pot is this wonderful thing that smells delicious, so not all of us want it to mask the smell of dirt and pine that we love on the trail, and not all of us are comfortable with high (or drunk!) people above us or below us on the trail.
I LOVE blasting Metallica and plugging in my guitar to play along, but I understand that not everyone's a fan. So I don't do it with my windows open, and I don't do it so loudly in my apartment that it might upset my neighbors (If I ever do upset them, I'd gladly turn it down and sincerely apologize to them). And I don't blare it through my truck speakers with the windows rolled down. I don't rationalize it by saying "everyone jaywalks, so it's ok," and I don't blow it off by saying "I wish people just didn't care."
Learn to live along with others. You're being the judgmental one.

Postby highpilgrim » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:24 pm

bonehead wrote:
jaymz wrote:I want to be the poster boy of this thread.

Bhead: You can do better than that with some of your enlightened commentary.

Or a good anecdote. Something about cops, mountains and dope. And maybe lawyers. Reach into your bag and pull something out...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby jdorje » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 pm

I guess I have to wonder what the point of this thread was. It seems like the original poster just wanted to receive support to feel like they were sinned against in the original story. But when it turns out half the posters sympathize more with the yeller than with the smoker, it went downhill. Clearly the original poster was not looking to be judged themselves, despite their request for such judgement in the original post - since every such judgement receives only a counter-attack. I dunno; it just seems a bit too 1-dimensional for the hall of fame.

Also, it just occurred to me: you know who else forced people to inhale potentially harmful gases against their will? Hitler.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 pm

evaunitross wrote: I'm curious what people think about the topic of smoking on a hike.

evaunitross wrote: I get your point. However music travels a Hell of a lot farther through the air than smoke. I've changed my mind on what I posted earlier. I will continue to smoke in the back country and I will continue to do it in the most respectful way possible. And if anyone confronts me about it I'll say "Oh I'm sorry for bothering you. :)" You deal with the faint whiff of pot smoke and I'll deal with your attitude. Sorry about your sinuses Rosie, but I refuse to beleive that a tiny bit of pot smoke in the air 30 feet away from you will do anything. If your health is so bad that its affected by that tiny amount of smoke, I'm shocked that you can hike at all. :( When someone near you has a camp fire, that must really suck.

I'm sorry, I thought you had originally included the first sentence in your first post. I thought I posted a reasonable, somewhat objective response that applied to the discussion at hand. And in response you're just being kind of mean, mistaking debate as insult and then insulting me in the process.

Music travels farther through the air than smoke ..... no....it....does....not.
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby GreenHorn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 pm

jdorje wrote:I guess I have to wonder what the point of this thread was. It seems like the original poster just wanted to receive support to feel like they were sinned against in the original story. But when it turns out half the posters sympathize more with the yeller than with the smoker, it went downhill. Clearly the original poster was not looking to be judged themselves, despite their request for such judgement in the original post - since every such judgement receives only a counter-attack. I dunno; it just seems a bit too 1-dimensional for the hall of fame.

Also, it just occurred to me: you know who else forced people to inhale potentially harmful gases against their will? Hitler.

:lol: Does Godwin's law signal the official end of the thread?
Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.

--JEAN-LUC PICARD

Postby midwestcoast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Postby bonehead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 pm

highpilgrim wrote:You can do better than that with some of your enlightened commentary.

I resemble that.

Postby TallGrass » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:22 pm

evaunitross wrote:However music travels a Hell of a lot farther through the air than smoke.

Really depends on conditions. Remember years ago having the attic fan on a nice calm summer night while I had the house to myself for a while when I started to smell some MJ (not what you want a parental unit to smell coming in the door). Followed the smell out the patio, through the yard, across the soccer field, 'til I saw some folk were sparkin sitting down on the bike trail. Closed the patio and opened the front door to get some fresher air coming in to vent it out. One's particulate matter the other a pressure wave.

On a couple of occasions I've excused myself when someone complained of feeling ill from the smell of gas. Didn't notice until then that a carb had dribbled some on my riding boot so took my coffee outside. Being around the bike so much I was kind of desensitized to it, not unlike halitosis ("Tic-tac, TallGrass?" ... "No, than... uh, OH, yes :oops: sure. Thanks.").
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

evaunitross, what did you think would happen when you posted this? Did you expect everyone to sympathize with you say "sure smoke up wherever you want on the trail" because if so, you're delusional?

Also, saying "I promise I'll try very hard not to start a fire" are famous last words of a redneck before he starts a fire.

If you do smoke, it better be damn far away from the trail. Way more than 30 ft (can't remember what idiot suggested that, but I think it was pills). You also shouldn't do it on any sort of technical route in which you're altered state would affect the safety of others.

Lastly, this thread is not even close to HoF worthy.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby Bean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:Also, saying "I promise I'll try very hard not to start a fire" are famous last words of a redneck before he starts a fire.

Wrong. The actual quote is "hold my beer."
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby scalba123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:Also, saying "I promise I'll try very hard not to start a fire" are famous last words of a redneck before he starts a fire.

I thought a redneck's last words were always "Hey y'all, watch this"...

PreviousNext