Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Jefferson County Open Space fee

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Jefferson County Open Space fee

Postby pseudoghost » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:05 pm

As a Jefferson County resident, I vote no. We don't need to import anymore bad ideas from Boulder.

Postby jsdratm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 pm

I think it is a bad idea in general, I don't want trailhead fees infecting the rest of the state

Postby Monte Meals » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Manitou is considering / in the process of imposing parking fees on anyone
who climbs The Incline (locals excluded - natch.)

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

If you pay sales tax in Jefferson County or buy Colorado Lottery Tickets you are funding Jefferson County Open Space. According to their own website, property taxes are not a source. So to discriminate based on license plate is inequitable. We all travel through multiple counties for recreation. With Boulder there is an option for an annual pass which is presented as reasonable if you go there a lot. The trouble is there are too dam many jurisdictions. Bear Creek Lake Park is Lakewood. Cherry Creek is a state park. We have National Parks. There are hunks of Denver Mountain Parks and State Wildlife areas within Jefferson County Open Space areas. Part of Jefferson County has Foothills Parks and Recreation District. Colorado has 64 counties. What if they all want a fee to walk on a trail?

http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R50.htm#funds
"The Jefferson County one-half of one percent sales tax collected by the Open Space Program is allocated to cities and to the unincorporated areas of the county. The Open Space Program manages the majority of Open Space lands acquired in the unincorporated areas. Other lands and recreational facilities acquired with Open Space funds are owned and/or managed by the cities or recreation districts. The Open Space Program does not utilize funds from property taxes or the Colorado Lottery. Open Space applies for special project grants from Great Outdoors Colorado and other funding agencies."
These last 2 sentences contradict each other. Great Outdoors Colorado gets its funding from Colorado Lottery. http://www.goco.org/

"Since 1972, over $285 million has been spent in the cities and unincorporated areas of the county to acquire over 51,000 acres of land, water and facilities. Voters in 1998 approved a $160 million bond to provide funds for priority land acquisition. Through the Joint Venture Capital Program, more than $28 million has been spent to fund parks, trails, golf courses, recreation improvements and development projects for cities and recreation districts. Between $1.5 and $2 million is allocated each year through the Joint Ventures program."

I’m not against chipping in to support a resource. But it’s a chicken s**t way to raise revenue. “Let’s charge somebody else!”
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Bean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Make it Boulder residents only and I'll sign on.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Bean wrote:Make it Boulder residents only and I'll sign on.

It sounds like some voters got priced out of Boulder and moved to Jefferson County.
If this passes, next time I'm driving through, I'll try to have time to wander around the open space and try to get a ticket.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby iquack08 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 am

How exactly will these fees be enforced?

Pay somebody $30k+ plus a year to sit and collect fees? Collected fees won't even cover the salary.
Enforcement on a random basis? People don't return to the TH at the same time.
How many cars are even parked at the TH to justify the possible expenses?

Postby Fisching » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:55 am

Please send all complaints of Jefferson County Open Space to SurfnTurf and he will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am

Monte Meals wrote:Manitou is considering / in the process of imposing parking fees on anyone
who climbs The Incline (locals excluded - natch.)

They're also providing free remote parking and a free shuttle bus from May to September.

I see that the original JeffCo petition only has one signature in 13 hours.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby MountainHiker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:13 am

iquack08 wrote:How many cars are even parked at the TH to justify the possible expenses?

I’ve seen the parking lot for Mt Falcon overflow. One time I climbed Mt Morrison instead because there were cars circling the lot waiting for a spot to open. I found a deer antler that day.

I wonder if counties are feeling a sales tax pinch because of all the online sales?
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby lpyle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 am

iquack08 wrote:How many cars are even parked at the TH to justify the possible expenses?

Spring-fall, the parking lot at Alderfer/Three Sisters overflows on a regular basis.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary

Next