Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Jefferson County Open Space fee

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Jefferson County Open Space fee

Postby TallGrass » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Given the reasons stated, why not make the petition just to charge BoCo at JeffCo sites, versus going BoCo on every other county too?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Lamb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 am

MountainHiker's post is spot on... We already payed/are paying for it, it sounds like double dipping. I understand the idea is to charge non residents of Jeffco, but I would bet that if you are taking advantage of the open space you are paying Jeffco sales tax somehow/somewhere. Plus how long before "non residents" is changed to "all" and will they still call it "open space?"

Postby Derek » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 am

All I can say is that as a Denver country resident who uses the Jeff Co Open Space VERY often, and live 6 blocks from the Jeff Co border, and do ALL my shopping in Jefferson county, I wouldn't be very happy if I had to pay. Maybe I'm just selfish.
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby ajkagy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 am

Bean wrote:Make it Boulder residents only and I'll sign on.

lol, there are actually tons of Boulder county residents that use Jeff CO trails
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Just to clarify: it doesn't look like this proppsal is coming from Jeffco OSAC at all, it's a petition from a Jeffco citizen to have OSAC consider implimenting a fee. I don't think this will go anywhere.....

Postby Oman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm

This stuff is stupid. Next up: A special fee anytime anyone from the suburbs uses DIA, Red Rocks, Winter Park, the Cherry Creek bike path, or trauma/charity care at DGH. And, because it got such a big public subsidy, the Denver REI, too.

Postby pills2619 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm

This sucks and given that the government has absolutely no money to spend I would rather spend a few extra dollars to have these places looking good when my kids want to use them in 20 years. That or everybody just gets used to volunteering a week out of every year to help keep these places functional and clean. All you would need is 104 people to volunteer for 3-4 days per year at a park that they use often and you have just saved the park 20-30 thousand a year in salary. Maybe have an online scheduler for all parks in Colorado no matter there agency and then people could just sign up for whatever open spot at whatever park they feel like working at. Maybe Rockey Mountain one day maybe a 14er wilderness area the next. Have a very generic training day for anyone who wants to volunteer so that its consistent through every park. Maybe throw some tax incentives in there and possibly find some outdoor company's to offer discounts to people who volunteer. Just an idea.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Lamb wrote:and will they still call it "open space?"

Does open space mean open access, or undeveloped?

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm

mountaingoat-G wrote:Just to clarify: it doesn't look like this proppsal is coming from Jeffco OSAC at all, it's a petition from a Jeffco citizen to have OSAC consider implimenting a fee. I don't think this will go anywhere.....

Just confirming that this is the case.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Previous