Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

East Ridge of Harvard from South Pine Creek Trail

Items that do not fit the categories above.

East Ridge of Harvard from South Pine Creek Trail

Postby gcoldewey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:45 pm

So I'm planning a backpack trip this year down the pine creek trail. Looking at the map it appears that a ridge leading up to Mt. Harvard intersects with the South Pine Creek trail due east of Mt. Harvard. Is this a doable route up Harvard?

Re: East Ridge of Harvard from South Pine Creek Trail

Postby Alpine » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 pm

There have been at least a couple threads on this trail/route in the last couple years, and several on the North Ridge route as well. I think the basic answer is Ys, there is a doable route there.

While I didn't find thread I was thinking of in the 10 seconds I spent looking, if you do a search on 'South Pine Creek' and start reading you will find a fair bit of info.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 pm

It's part of the Nolan's 14 route.
http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/maps/index.html
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby gcoldewey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 am

Thanks for the replies. The Nolan Route is actually from the North

Postby geojed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 am

Here's two trip reports where the hiker climbed the North Ridge and descended the South Pine Creek Trail. I haven't found any where they ascend Harvard by this route.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7048

Having found the trail, I thought I would be home free once I got to treeline, but no. This is approximately the last 1,300 feet of descent on the South Pine Creek Trail as seen from Little John's Cabin. I'll confirm what other reports have stated - this trail is rough and sometimes vague. I'll add that it is way hard, and way steep, and way uber-loose. This section destroyed me.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4753

The trail was rough in areas and vague in others.

This one didn't use the SPC trail on descent but descended the NE ridge.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10155
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby rijaca » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 am

gcoldewey wrote:So I'm planning a backpack trip this year down the pine creek trail. Looking at the map it appears that a ridge leading up to Mt. Harvard intersects with the South Pine Creek trail due east of Mt. Harvard. Is this a doable route up Harvard?

Gerry Roach describes a NE ridge route that uses the S Pine Creek trail (for a little while). Roach also describes a north slopes route that starts at the Pine Creek trail (near Bedrock Falls).

Edit: There is also a route up the east ridge, but that route is generally approached from Frenchman Creek.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"