Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

WORD OF THE DAY - 14ers.com Series

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: WORD OF THE DAY - 14ers.com Series

Postby ameristrat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Yeah, in ocean-side lingo, gnar or gnarly conditions are equivalent to the day where the weather man tells you to stay the f*** away from the ocean.

Gnarly out here means awesome.

Similar conundrum to the usage of "sick" and "wicked" which can have positive and negative connotations as well.

All things considered, I abhor abbreviations. While at Breck yesterday, I heard the phrase "def can't wait to hit the gnar gnar pow, brah" from the bro in front of me in line for Imperial.

I nearly vomitted.

Then again, if he had said, "I definitely cannot wait to hit the gnarly gnarly powder"... :lol:
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:51 pm

ameristrat wrote:All things considered, I abhor abbreviations. While at Breck yesterday, I heard the phrase "def can't wait to hit the gnar gnar pow, brah" from the bro in front of me in line for Imperial.

Sorry brah, didn't realize you were behind me
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby ameristrat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Damnit, Taylor. ](*,)
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

I realize this will make my word for today "Douchebag", but it's too good an opportunity to pass up... :mrgreen:

ameristrat.jpg
ameristrat.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm

One of my favorite words pertaining to wildlife: crepuscular

Most people probably know that animals active during the day are diurnal and animals active at night are nocturnal.

However, some animals are active during twilight hours (dawn and dusk) meaning they are crepuscular. It's an adaptation to avoid the heat/conspicuousness of broad daylight and the bitter chill of the middle of the night. Mule deer and common nighthawks are a couple of local examples.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby TallGrass » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 pm

'Sausage'! There's a good woody sort of word, 'sausage'. 'Gorrrrrrrrn.' ... Caribou -- gorn... 'Intercourse.'

Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby ameristrat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:I realize this will make my word for today "Douchebag", but it's too good an opportunity to pass up... :mrgreen:

ameristrat.jpg

Well damn. ](*,) ](*,)

Let me rephrase, and call it the unnecessary shortening of words to match the linguistic quality of a Pre-teen girl (see: def, totes, obvi, etc. :barf: _

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:18 pm

ameristrat wrote:All things considered, I abhor abbreviations. While at Breck yesterday...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

For the record, I, too, hate abbreviations. When did Belford, Oxford and Missouri become Bel-Ox-Mo? Spell the freaking words, for crap's sake. I love words... ...just hate it when they're bastardized into a series of unidentifiable, monosyllabic utterances.

It takes me forever to send a text message.

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:18 pm

I nominate "Fisching TM," a term coined by Greg (Fisching) and I while on a climb last July. It refers to taking the most complicated route possible up an otherwise easy climb. Last summer we fisched our way to the summits of the Wilsons, KC/C, Capitol, Lindsey, and Humboldt (surprisingly excellent Fisching here), to name a few, along with BenFromTheEast, who has terrible taste in music (DMfucking'B).

Postby pvnisher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Verbing: Changing a noun to be used as a verb.
i.e. "access" used to be something you had. Now it's something you do.
"I'll message you when I get there."
"I'll need some more information so I can action these items."

Verbing weirds language.

"Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding." -Hobbes

(My British friends already say that about my decidely American accent)

Postby madbuck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
ameristrat wrote:All things considered, I abhor abbreviations. While at Breck yesterday...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

For the record, I, too, hate abbreviations. When did Belford, Oxford and Missouri become Bel-Ox-Mo? Spell the freaking words, for crap's sake. I love words... ...just hate it when they're bastardized into a series of unidentifiable, monosyllabic utterances.

It takes me forever to send a text message.

Kind of similarly, I'm not (alone in not being) a fan of "mary" (or more commonly "half mary") for "marathon." The idea is to "diminish" the challenge with a familiarity that insinuates and draws attention the speaker's perceived prowess. But a 5k can be hard, and a marathon can be easy, it all depends on the effort and experience. And it's cool to recognize that any distance or any mountain can be hard for someone, so no need to diminish it. The most experienced runners and climbers both seem to have a sort of humility where they don't diminish these efforts, or take any mountain or race for granted.

Is it mostly now complaining about words? I'm cool with that!
For new words, I'll throw out "glissaditunity." It's obvious when you see that soft snow at just the right angle, with the nice flat runout at the bottom...

Postby 14erFred » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 am

I love the look of alpenglow on verglass. It makes me pine for the bergschrunds.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

PreviousNext