Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Unicycling

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Mountain Unicycling

Postby TallGrass » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 am

Hmm, maybe Bill could add a new icon to User Peak Checklists?

Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby gdthomas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 am

Saw a guy on Grays riding one of those about five years ago.

Postby d_baker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:39 am

gdthomas wrote:Saw a guy on Grays riding one of those about five years ago.

Maybe MUni Rider??

Postby jdawud » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 pm

For those interested in mountain unicycle stuff, a buddy of mine did this last summer: www.greatdivideride.com

Pretty cool stuff.
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 pm

d_baker wrote:
gdthomas wrote:Saw a guy on Grays riding one of those about five years ago.

Maybe MUni Rider??

I saw what I guessed to be a father / son team riding down Grays 3 years ago. Not sure if that narrows it down to him(?)
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm

TallGrass wrote:Hmm, maybe Bill could add a new icon to User Peak Checklists?

Bill - yes, please add a bike icon for 14ers. Those little snowflakes have become so plebeian.

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Not to derail the thread, because I think the concept of mountain unicycling is awesome and should be discussed, but I would also like to see a disco ball icon in the checklist for 14ers danced upon. 8)
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Not to derail the thread, because I think the concept of mountain unicycling is awesome and should be discussed, but I would also like to see a disco ball icon in the checklist for 14ers danced upon. 8)
Yes. Here, here!
Ms. Lynx has a superb suggestion.

Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:Not to derail the thread, because I think the concept of mountain unicycling is awesome and should be discussed, but I would also like to see a disco ball icon in the checklist for 14ers danced upon. 8)
Yes. Here, here!
Ms. Lynx has a superb suggestion.

That would be perfect! It really captures the essence of 14er dancing. :wink:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm

TallGrass wrote:Hmm, maybe Bill could add a new icon to User Peak Checklists?

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Bill - yes, please add a bike icon for 14ers. Those little snowflakes have become so plebeian.

Here's the new bike icon. Use it to designate any 14ers for which you've biked at least 25% of the route.

Sorry, you'll have to wait till next winter to get the new "bike-snowflake" icon.

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for posting the video.... Looks like a challenge.

I rode Grays 30 Aug 2009, so maybe that was me? Only three 14ers so far. (Grays, Elbert and Pikes) Seems all the best ones are Wilderness and no wheeled vehicles allowed. :roll:

I would love to ride down Quandary and Huron. Might have to look into getting another one or two done this summer..... Thanks for the nudge.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7104&parmuser=MUni+Rider&cpgm=tripuser

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5114&parmuser=MUni+Rider&cpgm=tripuser

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5114&parmuser=MUni+Rider&cpgm=tripuser
--------------
It might be kind of fun to add a few other icons to the peaks checklists, kind of like the mass group of smilies to choose from over there. ----->>>
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Seriously, anyone know how many of the 14ers have been biked? 5? 10?
Not that my days of endos aren't long gone, just curious.

Next