Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Resort Snow Conditons

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Resort Snow Conditons

Postby mts4602 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 am

Who has the best snow right now on I-70? I'd like to go somewhere with the majority of runs open.

Don't care about the cost, crowds, or if expert terrain is open.

thanks
Matt

Re: Resort Snow Conditons

Postby ameristrat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am

Vail, Beaver Creek, and Breck (of the Vail Resort group) are in decent shape). I actually like Breck the best out of them (lots to do, less crowded than Vail, and decent snow this past weekend when I was there). If you're not interested in more difficult terrain, Beaver Creek is probably your best bet - tons of groomers!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby mts4602 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am

Awesome, thanks. I didn't know about that site.

I like Breck as well, but have only been there and to Vail.
Matt

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:13 am

ameristrat wrote:Vail, Beaver Creek, and Breck (of the Vail Resort group) are in decent shape). I actually like Breck the best out of them (lots to do, less crowded than Vail, and decent snow this past weekend when I was there). If you're not interested in more difficult terrain, Beaver Creek is probably your best bet - tons of groomers!

You forgot to write this in pink.

Postby JTOlson26 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 am

mts4602 wrote:Awesome, thanks. I didn't know about that site.

I like Breck as well, but have only been there and to Vail.

I can't speak to the current conditions (although Breck seems to have been favored the most over the past few days and Vail has fared better over the season in general, if by a slight margin) but I have always enjoyed Breck just a little bit more. As mentioned before, the crowds are usually to a minimum relative to Vail. Of course, Vail has its spots but Breck's are easier to get to in some ways. If I knew both places were going to be essentially uncrowded I would head to Vail but in general I prefer Breck.

For those of us stuck in the flatlands for now, let us know how things go!

Postby MuchosPixels » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

Honestly I would drive an extra hour to Steamboat. There is GIGANTIC difference in the snow they have received Vs. all the i70 resorts. I skied Vail and Beaver Creek and they were nice but as soon as I drove over to Steamboat the difference in the amount of snow was dramatic. The Boat has about 2-3 TIMES the snow on the ground. (No matter what the reports say, Breck is still thin in coverage, Vail and BC are ok). Of the i70 resorts Vail is the best with a wide range of aspects and conditions. Its very fun. Beaver Creek is great but can get icy due to its predominantly northern aspects. That is good late in the season but now it might be colder there and icier in the mornings. Rose Bowl, Larkspur and the terrain under the Strawberry park lift get good sun in the morning though.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 am

MuchosPixels wrote:Honestly I would drive an extra hour to Steamboat. There is GIGANTIC difference in the snow they have received Vs. all the i70 resorts. I skied Vail and Beaver Creek and they were nice but as soon as I drove over to Steamboat the difference in the amount of snow was dramatic. The Boat has about 2-3 TIMES the snow on the ground. (No matter what the reports say, Breck is still thin in coverage, Vail and BC are ok). Of the i70 resorts Vail is the best with a wide range of aspects and conditions. Its very fun. Beaver Creek is great but can get icy due to its predominantly northern aspects. That is good late in the season but now it might be colder there and icier in the mornings. Rose Bowl, Larkspur and the terrain under the Strawberry park lift get good sun in the morning though.

http://winter.irwincolorado.com/winter/snow-report

A nice year to date snowfall comparison here. Steamboat and Wolf creek doing well, Silverton would be on this list as well, I70 not so much...and we all know vail's totals are inflated :-D

Postby ameristrat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Steamboat has killed it this year - definitely better off. But considering my pass is good for only Vail resorts, I have to make due. Breck is my favorite out of them, like I said. Vail has had more snow, but at least if you stay high, you can avoid ridiculous lines at Breck.... and $25 inconvenient parking.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby KyleS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 am

Wolf Creek has the best snow conditions in the entire Rocky Mountains right now. Four feet of new snow in the last 5 days.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 am

How's A-Basin doing this year? I skipped last spring, and I'm hoping this year will be worth a late-season pass purchase.

Loveland has improved quite a bit with the past two storms; I only hit one rock with my old skis yesterday, after core-shotting my new skis ten days ago. #-o
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Old Goat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

To get snow reports, I also like http://www.skiresortguide.com/
Find your resort, then click "Condition"

Next